U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:04 AM

105 posts, read 171,545 times
Baltimore and its crabcakes are way overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,769,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn mayers View Post
For the uninformed. White Hall Maryland is outside of Baltimore city where the slow food movement is huge. Maryland is known for the best crabcakes in the United States. Speaking of "crabcakes" at amuze I was served the drunk chefs attempt of a chesapeake bay favorite. I must say they tasted just like an old beat up recipe that can be found in any ten dollar cook book purchased in the down town area. Our hats are off to you in Baltimore.
P.S. i did join to post my thoughts because i found that all posts were seeming to be posted by friends of william if that is his real name. Now it is clear to me that they are. I must make a chef feel good to know that his reviews are all toung and cheek.
Well, unlike most one-posters, you actually came back to check on your first one AND add another. That makes you a legitimate CDF user now, so your opinion counts as much as any of ours...

I'm not a personal friend of Chef William. I've only spoken to the man twice - once on the phone to make my reservation and the other at the end of my first meal there. I just really liked the food and the whole dining experience, so I felt compelled to post about it. Your experience was certainly different than mine.

When I lived in NoVa and went to Baltimore for 'seafood' I was not particularly impressed by their version of crab, and even less so by the fried cakes of it. The best seafood I've ever had in the US was in Astoria, Oregon. Now THAT's fresh.

As far as CO goes, I've yet to have any really great seafood here... it's just not the place for it. I'm not exclusively a steak-and-potato guy, but when I do go out to a nice restaurant I tend to stick to things like beef, elk, and bison... you know the stuff that's actually local. I've yet yo go wrong with Elk. SO GOOD.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,469 times
Default Speaking of uninformed

Actually Maryland is known for crabs - not just crabcakes. There are many, many wonderful dishes to be made from the Chesapeake Bay blue crab. Having dined at Amuze several times (as well as participated in the wine event) I know that the crab dish is NOT listed or sold as a "crabcake" nor is it the chefs representation of a crabcake. It is a different dish and originated via a recipe handed down from an historic Baltimore family that has been there for many generations (most likely long before your time). Btw, what is "enough" food for a wine tasting? The point of attending was the wine - not to make a meal of it. Anyway, I agree with the other posts - my experiences have been top notch and I haven't found issue with the seasoning or service staff level of education. Are all the posts from friends of William? I certainly don't know, but if so he has a vast amount of friends well beyond the scope of CDF, based on other reviews out there.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,469 times
As for best seafood - absolutely Seattle, WA - so very fresh from the market there.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:41 PM

16,899 posts, read 22,591,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenada13 View Post
As for best seafood - absolutely Seattle, WA - so very fresh from the market there.
Was in Seattle the other week, awesome seafood.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs