U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 34,948 times

Advertisements

I am anticipating a move to COS in two years after my son graduates HS. Everything I have read so far says COS is very conservative. I, however, am quite liberal. I am assuming that there are certainly liberal groups in the area. Can anyone validate this for me?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 PM

170 posts, read 697,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psdzd View Post
I am anticipating a move to COS in two years after my son graduates HS. Everything I have read so far says COS is very conservative. I, however, am quite liberal. I am assuming that there are certainly liberal groups in the area. Can anyone validate this for me?
I consider myself a liberal and I have found that I can live here very happily. Although it is conservative here...I don't find that people are trying to change my mind or convince me of their views. It's very harmonious. I've only lived here about 6 weeks but I've heard others on this forum echo my same thoughts. Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
I have young adult relatives who live there, very liberal. They like it.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 AM

673 posts, read 3,691,539 times
Colorado Springs is politically divided by neighborhood. It has its conservative parts for sure, but also some liberal neighborhoods also. I would say Colorado Springs is more conservative overall then liberal, but the whole city isnt conservative.

The people who have moved to El Paso County in the last decade have been more conservative in a different way then the long-time El Paso County residents. Colorado Springs before the 1990s was conservative but more of a fiscal conservatism. Since the 1990s alot of socially, very conservative people have moved to Colorado Springs but a vast majority of them have moved to newer subdivisions in the northern part of the city.

Basically, the northern areas of town which are newer tend to be very conservative. Basically anything North of Woodmen Road is going to be very, very conservative that area has alot of evengilical Christians also.

Most of the evengilical Christian's and groups tend to keep to themselves and have their own social groups for the most part. Its not everyone is going to try to pursuade over and over again for people to go to their church.

Colorado Springs image of being a bastion of conservatism is over-done in my opinion, its a conservative city overall but its very politically divided so they have areas of town that are liberal-oriented. I grew up in Colorado Springs and everybody went on and on about how conservative it is and when I when I moved to the midwest I found the midwest outside of Ohio and Minnesota to be more conservative then Colorado Springs and alot more up-tight.

The western and central parts of Colorado Springs are very different politically then the Northside of town meaning not as conservative. In fact the downtown area, southside and westside of Colorado Springs tend to be more moderate and even have their fair-share of liberal people and organizations.

Colorado Springs overall is a very laid-back community, even the conservatives are very laid-back compared to the midwestern conservatives which are very up-tight.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:58 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,740,115 times
I live in the Briargate area and there are quite a few in my 'hood that are Democrats. Keep in mind that in my particular 'hood there are teachers, police (2 in my direct neighborhood), construction workers, some stay-at-home mom's, a couple of retirees, etc...

Eh, I am a Libertarian personally but unless you are a "in your face" kind of political person, you'll do just fine. As this city grows, the political spectrum is stretching a bit.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:45 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,348,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psdzd View Post
I'd say most of the voters here are right wingers, during the last presidential election over 90% of the lawn signs were for Bush. When I visited my daughter in Boulder, the exact opposite was extant; 90% Kerry.

However, most of the righties keep to themselves. They just do what they're told.

There is a group in Colorado Springs called the Freethinkers: http://freethinkerscs.com/

There is also Newspaper that tends to be more Liberal, http://www.csindy.com/csindy/current/

Also, I'd expect to find more Liberals near Manitou or Old Colorado City.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 AM

649 posts, read 2,648,760 times
Ok, had to laugh!! Is it really fair to say that conservatives do what they are told??? I am a conservative and it is safe to say that I make all the my own decisions and have my own opinions. With that being said, I also agree that liberals are allowed to have their own opinions and I respect that! I have friends and family that are liberals and that is fine, we just agree to disagree and vote on what WE feel is right for us. I don't look down on Liberal people, I respect their decisions. bashep

Old 03-31-2007, 01:33 PM

170 posts, read 697,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashep View Post
Ok, had to laugh!! Is it really fair to say that conservatives do what they are told??? I am a conservative and it is safe to say that I make all the my own decisions and have my own opinions. With that being said, I also agree that liberals are allowed to have their own opinions and I respect that! I have friends and family that are liberals and that is fine, we just agree to disagree and vote on what WE feel is right for us. I don't look down on Liberal people, I respect their decisions. bashep
Bashep,

I think you made a great point....liberals and conservatives seem to respect one another's opinion here, overall. That is what I like about this town...I can have my liberal views and no one bugs me about it or tries to change my mind. People respect one anothers' views here. Life would be less interesting if we all had the same opinions and views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs