U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM

636 posts, read 2,052,241 times

Advertisements

Oops and Colorado Bound my son goes to Gateway elementary, they have an incredible gifted program, he gets to take a 3 week college class (designed for gifted elem kids) every June, that school has been incredible for him. Just avoid Summit elemtary, its barely passable as average
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado-bound View Post
We are relocating to Colorado Springs, coming from Illinois. My husband "loves!!" Woodland Park, living in the mountains. It's his dream. We have 2 elementary age kids. What do you guys think about Woodland Park? We found a most excellent house and think it's beautiful. It's in the mountains, but also a neighborhood. I am wondering about the schools. They ranked 7 out of 10 on the greatschools.net web site. Help, p
We moved from Woodland Park area just a year ago and I am quite glad! I hate to say it and never thought I would. Woodland Park is VERY small town, small town minded, everyone knows everyone (thought that was nice at first, sometimes you just want to run to the store on a bad day and not see a soul - hard to do there!). The job situations there a next to nil, which means most likely a commute to the "Springs" - about 30-45 mins. - not real bad and quite beautiful EXCEPT in the snow! I have a Jeep (a MUST in WPark!) and on many snowy evenings have passed up others on the pass who were just stuck - couldn't get their vehicles up the pass in the snow. There are those few times that they close the pass due to the snow and if they close it before you get home it is quite a trek to go the other way around to get home and most people end up staying in the Springs. Many people start out with a job in WPark but end up moving to another better paying one in the Springs. I lived in 2 different areas while we lived there and the last one was on the actual highway - Hwy 24, they snow plowed the hwy., which was great but the plow would pile it in front of our driveway! My husband drives a company van and would have to get a running start, park at the end, or shovel, shovel, shovel! I'm not sure if the area in Ill. is a small town, if it is and you like that then that part should not be too bad for you. I would suggest renting in WPark first to see if you like it. It can be hard to sell these days up there. You can always change your mind either way and buy if you like it or move if you don't. There is a lot of new businesses coming to the area - the biggest one is the Walmart which has most of the locals up arms and that small town vibe might be changing. There are just a few schools in the area. WPark High School has an incredible ammt. of drugs and suicides, I'm very sorry to say. That was another thing that swayed me to move (I have a 5 yr. old). The kids are very bored up there and there also seems to be a lot of meth and meth labs. Not sure if you can check the crime (sure there is a site) rate of the area, most of it consists of the high school kids. I have know several hs kids and their mothers and have heard some heart breaking stories. The only other school would be the Christian one (forgetting the name now), if you are a Christian you may want to look into that. I knew several people who weren't, so they didn't have much of a choice. There also is Gateway up in Divide, I think that one is good but I think it only goes to 6th grade? The school in Cascade is "interesting", I won't say any more. I'm sure I will be on the "bad" list after stating all of my "information". I just want to be honest and again, I highly recommend renting first, talking to the locals, getting to know the area before you buy. It is beautiful, don't get me wrong. They also plow pretty regularly, can't complain about that. Also, think about your vehicles...another very impt. thing to take into consideration. I wish you luck. D

Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 14,423 times
I'm looking at Woodland Park, Co. I found a home I really like but the red flag is that it has a poor well only 2 gallons per minute. Should I be concerned about making an offer? How much does it costs to blast for a new well? How will I know where to even look for a well? Yikes so many questions.

The home faces 3/4 NORTHEAST. It's located up in the mountains about 15 minutes from the center of Woodland Park.

Are there hospitals and a Lowes and/or a Walmart in Woodland Park? If Walmart doesnt have it I probably dont need it. Ha ha.

Any info. would be appreciated.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,613 times
We too are planning move to Woodland Park -- what on line job search tool did you use? Did job pan out for you??

jane from Iowa

Old 06-24-2007, 01:53 PM

214 posts, read 1,173,024 times
Real hospital? Lowes?? Wal-Mart? On line job postings?! Well ok, one out of four isn't bad.

Sometimes I think some of you don't read the real info others put up to help you. WP was and is a cool small mtn town. In 20yrs it's come a long way since I lived there but it remains a bedroom community to C/S. And to many locals I'm sure they like it that way. For those coming from a CITY you reeeally don't get it yet.

DARE's post rings much of what I posted here with regard to growing up there; Woodland Park/Cripple Creek

Would I personally live there again? Sure, but with both myself and my wife growing up there we know what the town is. And isn't.

Don't rely on Realtors to tell you how great things are or pretty pictures of the town all summer long. Go there. Stay there, if you can, and do it a few times a year before you move.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:07 PM

Houston if its an older house the plumbing might just be full of sediment, and its not the well. They used to use galvanized steel or something like that and after 25 years you get very little water pressure because of the buildup in the pipes. I know we have crummy water pressure but the well has always been super full, our pipes have buildup and we need to re-plumb, about $1500.

We have a new hospital and Walmart that will both be completed very soon. Like maybe by this fall.

What Dare said is true, the high school drug situation is scary, we have even talked to new graduates from it who said never let your kid go there. There really isnt ANYTHING for kids to do up here. No indoor rec center (at 8500 feet???? What is wrong with this place??????) So all winter (8 months of it) you get to sit with bored bored bored kids, because its too cold outside. If its good sledding then at least thats something, but that doesnt last long.

I think a lot of people dream of living in the mountains but after 7 years we cant WAIT to get back and have summers again!

Old 06-25-2007, 05:16 AM

214 posts, read 1,173,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post

What Dare said is true, the high school drug situation is scary, we have even talked to new graduates from it who said never let your kid go there. There really isnt ANYTHING for kids to do up here. No indoor rec center (at 8500 feet???? What is wrong with this place??????)
While it's been 25yrs the problems were not that big back then. But I'm sure times change too.

What is sad in your comments is that 25yrs ago there were (at different times) TWO places for kids to go. There were two forward thinking folks who did try to help the community.

Don't recall the name of the woman but on main she opened up "The Panther Den" which was a rec facility for teens. We had pool tables, and video games and such in there. There was no smoking or drinking inside of course and she'd boot out trouble makers allowing them back in on good behavior. No clue what's there today- mid street, rock front, east side of the narrow alley, twin front windows. Probably a small store. I think she close due to lack of funds. I'm certain the town put in no efforts to help her and I doubt many parents did as well....so much for community support.

A year or two later a gent named Ed Sargent opened up the towns only 3.2 bar. Find that steel building behind the movie theater. Very non desecript looking but still there. That was a large hall with a stage, dance floor and bar. Ed knew well of the heavy drinking we did in the Springs and driving up the pass. In all the years I'm shocked we didn't kill someone really.

(speaking of which, before Ed's place, you see that little shack on the north side of 24 across from Crystola Inn, where the guy cuts Bears? Last I saw it was a small feed store I think. THAT used to be a 3.2 bar also. Very low quality but live music and standing room only. Fights, beer, pot, late night parties!)

Don't know why Ed closed that bar. Again, his plans were to keep the kids in town and prevent them from going to the Springs. Sadly it just didn't take and given he didn't really have things for the under age to do it folded. I think he let under 18s in but no drinking. Like policing that one would work...I'm sure it didn't.

All in all a great little town but today I suspect it's much the same as it was years ago. Tune in again sometime and I'll tell you of the couple of restaurants you had in town that are gone; the Brazen Head and Williams. I worked at both and was the head chef at one at age 18. Probably kept me out of trouble.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the info, Todd. You know if we were not parents I don't think I'd mind so much, but it is so frustrating having to drive 45 minutes to an indoor pool or something like it in the Springs. We dont like our kids playing video games all day (although we are the only parents we know who limit the game playing time). But its hard to say "go play outside and get some fresh air" when the weather is so cold. Maybe when we retire we will buy a little cabin up here again....

Old 09-11-2007, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 14,423 times
Default Houstonvamp

I Did It. I Finally Bought A Home In Highland Lakes, Divide. I'll Be Moving In Next Week. It Is Beautiful. Window Wall Facing The South, Front Door To The West, Back Of House To The North And Garages On The East. Paved Drive Way. The Acre Is Doubled Fenced. A Border Fence And Then A Heavy Gaged Yard Fence. Decking 1/2 Way Around The House Gives Views Of The Mountains, 6 Fishing Lakes Across The Road And A Mountain Slope Where No One Will Be Able To Build In The Future. Im On The Corner Of A Cul De Sac With Only One Lot Behind Me And It Is Still Empty As Well As The Lot To The West Side That Is Also Another Cul De Sac Street. Jetted Tub , And A Shower That 6 People Could Stand In, In A Hugh Master With An 8x8 Loft Just Outside The Door To Make A Perfect Library And Office. Middle Floor Has 2 Bdrs And A Bath Kitchen, Dining And Great Living Area With Wood Burning Stove. Basement Has Bathroom And Family Room, Laundry And Garage Access. Oh Did I Mention The Drive Is Paved. Hahahaa! It's 10 Years New And Not A Thing I Have To Do...new Dishwasher, And Stove. Extra Fridge. In Garage. Also Has Vaulted Ceilings With Cedar Ceilings In Main And Master Floor. Im A Single Person So I Dont Have To Worry About The Schools. On My Way Now To Buy A Gortex Coat From The Army Surplus Store. That Should Work. Also Going Up Today To See When The Wal-mart Will Open And To Get A Paper For Local Contractors And Wood Supplier. Any Suggestions Are Surely Welcomed. I Can Hardly Wait. Christmas Lights Will Be Sparse This Year. Just To Many Things To Do To Settle In. God Bless My Father For The Fortunes Bestowed Upon Me.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:51 PM

24 posts, read 149,958 times
Default You guys are scaring me!

My husband just accepted a job Woodland Park as I had heard so many wonderful things about it, however, after reading this post I am scared to death that we made the wrong choice. We have two boys elementary school age, both very smart and a little girl not yet in school. We spend a lot of time indoors right now in Florida now due to the heat, mosquitos, snakes, scorpions, etc... and we were looking forward to the season changes again (we lived in Buffalo, New York for a while and absolutely LOVED it!) I have always wanted to live near the Rockies, but I am worried we will all be bored out of our minds now. I personally love snow as does my family and we do everything together as a family i.e. hike, fish, sled, ski, explore, play games etc.... Someone please tell me something positive. I am thinking of home schooling now???? We do plan to rent a year then buy, glad we are doing that, but I feel like I have lost the wind in my sails now.... the excitement is gone....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or