U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:05 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,519,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
How do people with heart problems do at that altitude, from what you hear?
I'll assume from the silence on this question that it's not a good idea to live there with heart problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 PM

69 posts, read 193,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'll assume from the silence on this question that it's not a good idea to live there with heart problems.
Well the last place you want to seek medical advice is an internet message board. Ask your doctor.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 PM

4,669 posts, read 6,742,826 times
If you already have heart problems, you should definitely talk to your doctor before you commit to high altitude. He/she can tell you whether or not altitude will affect you, personally.

The air is thinner at high altitude (above 5000 ft generally) since there's less oxygen, so your heart has to work harder, but many, many people adapt very well each year to high altitude. Because of the decreased amount of oxygen, your blood will compensate by producing red blood cells that have more surface area for oxygen to adhere, but that's usually not anything that's a problem, it's just what happens. The first few days at high altitude can take some adjustment. It's advised that you ascend slowly, about 3000 ft a day so your body can adapt. You'll need more fluids as thinner air is dehydrating, but drinking lots of fluids is never a bad idea. Don't drink alcohol for the first few days, get plenty of rest and don't overdo yourself until you know how the altitude will affect you. Everyone is different so no one can predict how one individual will react to high altitude conditions.

Again, if you're concerned about how the altitude will affect you, make sure you consult your physician or health care provider before you decide to visit or live in the mountains.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,426 times
Default Woodland Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado-bound View Post
We are relocating to Colorado Springs, coming from Illinois. My husband "loves!!" Woodland Park, living in the mountains. It's his dream. We have 2 elementary age kids. What do you guys think about Woodland Park? We found a most excellent house and think it's beautiful. It's in the mountains, but also a neighborhood. I am wondering about the schools. They ranked 7 out of 10 on the greatschools.net web site. Help, p

Welcome to Colorado! My sister lives in Woodland Park, her kids went to Elementary school there and she had no complaints.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaMcGee View Post
Welcome to Colorado! My sister lives in Woodland Park, her kids went to Elementary school there and she had no complaints.
There are two elementary schools in Woodland Park (and one in Divide) that are both good, but Columbine seems to rank slightly higher. My girls went to Gateway (at the time the only elementary) and our son went to Columbine when it was built. Gateway is next to Woodland Park High School and Columbine is on Kelly Rd.

School Comparison Overview | GreatSchools

Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 PM

65 posts, read 211,873 times
My husband and I are also considering Woodland Park. We would like to have some land and a newer home and WP appears to be the closest area (to the springs) to offer that within our budget.

I see the commute to the springs is about 30 min. Is this correct and is the commute relatively easy? I have been commuting to S. Denver for more than a year now everyday and I don't mind it very much. On snowy days, Monument can be pretty trecherous.... but considering I am used to long commutes I don't imagine the commute between WP and the Springs would be much worse.

And what is downtown like in WP? What's there?...

Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 PM

251 posts, read 486,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer33ny View Post
My husband and I are also considering Woodland Park. We would like to have some land and a newer home and WP appears to be the closest area (to the springs) to offer that within our budget.

I see the commute to the springs is about 30 min. Is this correct and is the commute relatively easy? I have been commuting to S. Denver for more than a year now everyday and I don't mind it very much. On snowy days, Monument can be pretty trecherous.... but considering I am used to long commutes I don't imagine the commute between WP and the Springs would be much worse.

And what is downtown like in WP? What's there?...

It's been awhile since I've lived there, but I know there is
a Wal Mart, Starbucks, Walgreen's, City Market, Safeway, some fast food restaurants like Sonic and BK, Mexican restaurants, a fitness center/gym, Goodwill, new hospital, gas stations, banks, new library, churches,some hotels, Dinosaur Resource Center/Museum, parks, and GREAT views of Pikes Peak

Old 11-02-2011, 11:53 PM

This site might help you with what WP has to offer:

Home

These are web cams for WP:

Woodland Park and Pikes Peak Webcam - Current Weather and Road Conditions

Woodland Park doesn't have much of a night life. There is a small movie theater with two screens and several restaurants, but mostly, it's quiet by about 9:00 p.m. There is a Safeway Center with a lot of chain stores (Great Clips, GNC, etc.); the Wal-Mart, Gold Hill North and Gold Hill South shopping centers, and several small shops along Hwy 24.

The commute to the Springs is down Hwy 24 through Green Mtn Falls, Chipeta Park, Bust, Cascade, the "canyon" and into Manitou Springs. It's not too bad in the winter. It can get slick if there's been a late afternoon snow that started to melt, then froze, but it's generally an easy commute, about 30-35 minutes depending on time of day and traffic.

There aren't many houses with a lot of land in town; mostly, it's on the outskirts, north toward Deckers on 67 or west toward Divide on 24. Just about anywhere between WP and Divide, you'll have a gorgeous view of the Peak, unless you're down in a valley, or a wooded area. It's a beautiful place to live!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM

251 posts, read 486,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
This site might help you with what WP has to offer:

Home

These are web cams for WP:

Woodland Park and Pikes Peak Webcam - Current Weather and Road Conditions

Woodland Park doesn't have much of a night life. There is a small movie theater with two screens and several restaurants, but mostly, it's quiet by about 9:00 p.m. There is a Safeway Center with a lot of chain stores (Great Clips, GNC, etc.); the Wal-Mart, Gold Hill North and Gold Hill South shopping centers, and several small shops along Hwy 24.

The commute to the Springs is down Hwy 24 through Green Mtn Falls, Chipeta Park, Bust, Cascade, the "canyon" and into Manitou Springs. It's not too bad in the winter. It can get slick if there's been a late afternoon snow that started to melt, then froze, but it's generally an easy commute, about 30-35 minutes depending on time of day and traffic.

There aren't many houses with a lot of land in town; mostly, it's on the outskirts, north toward Deckers on 67 or west toward Divide on 24. Just about anywhere between WP and Divide, you'll have a gorgeous view of the Peak, unless you're down in a valley, or a wooded area. It's a beautiful place to live!
I love those webcams! I check them often. Nah-I don't miss Woodland Park or anything

Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM

67 posts, read 119,584 times
Default Moving back in July.

Hi all, I am VERY excited that I and my family will be moving back to our home in Woody P. this year. Moved to Florida 2 years ago and had enough!!! Heard that things have changed in our little peice of paradise above the clouds. What's new???? There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or