U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
Hi all, I am VERY excited that I and my family will be moving back to our home in Woody P. this year. Moved to Florida 2 years ago and had enough!!! Heard that things have changed in our little peice of paradise above the clouds. What's new???? There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...
Post moved to this main thread, which is full of info on WP and may answer some of your questions.

Also see this other thread on WP.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-28-2012 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,101,058 times
Lets see.

WP has a Denny's now, across the street from WalMart in the old pizza joint. It has a stocked bar and is open 24/7.

A new bible college is going to built across form the hospital. A new 185 unit apartment complex is trying to get approvals to be built next to safeway where the dumpy trailer park is at.

That's all I can think of right now.

I always check Pikes Peak Courier View: Local Matters for the latest news and updates.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM

67 posts, read 119,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Lets see.

WP has a Denny's now, across the street from WalMart in the old pizza joint. It has a stocked bar and is open 24/7.

A new bible college is going to built across form the hospital. A new 185 unit apartment complex is trying to get approvals to be built next to safeway where the dumpy trailer park is at.

That's all I can think of right now.

I always check Pikes Peak Courier View: Local Matters for the latest news and updates.
Thanks for the update Poker... Yeah, Grandslam! But still going to the Hungry Bear for breakfast. I saw a post about bierwerks and can't wait to try it. I wonder if the Apt. complex approvals will be like the recreation center? Really would have loved to see that get put in. I will check out the Courier website.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,101,058 times
Bierwerks is pretty good.

Apartment complex has been approved by the city, so it should be a go assuming the developer gets financing. It's not going to cause a 1% tax hike like the rec center, so no voter input needed.

Most recent article: http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/telle...7dc382f53.html

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 02-29-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM

69 posts, read 193,453 times
The rec center is probably going to happen at some point, there's a lot of public interest in it and they just received a land donation at Kellys & 67 for it to be built. Obviously still some hurdles but it's moving along. Though at this point it's mainly an 'aquatic center' they're looking at, not a full rec center.

School funding in Colorado has reached abysmal levels (per-pupil funding, compared to other states). Woodland Park schools are doing a great job of hanging in there but statewide it's a mess and is going through the court system now, it's that bad. Voters rejected a short-term proposal to fix that so it's not clear how this'll be resolved.

I haven't heard anything about the bowling alley project lately...I suspect that's been shelved (was going to be built near Walgreens).

Chicken man still dances on the highway.

Woodland Station continues to be talked about and is still close to starting...as it's been for a long time. So, who knows about that project.

Still no hwy 24 bypass.

Bierwerks is awesome.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt314159 View Post
The rec center is probably going to happen at some point, there's a lot of public interest in it and they just received a land donation at Kellys & 67 for it to be built. Obviously still some hurdles but it's moving along. Though at this point it's mainly an 'aquatic center' they're looking at, not a full rec center.

School funding in Colorado has reached abysmal levels (per-pupil funding, compared to other states). Woodland Park schools are doing a great job of hanging in there but statewide it's a mess and is going through the court system now, it's that bad. Voters rejected a short-term proposal to fix that so it's not clear how this'll be resolved.

I haven't heard anything about the bowling alley project lately...I suspect that's been shelved (was going to be built near Walgreens).

Woodland Station continues to be talked about and is still close to starting...as it's been for a long time. So, who knows about that project.

Still no hwy 24 bypass.

Bierwerks is awesome.

Thanks Matt. I am all excited about the "aquatic center" again. 67 and Kellys...trying to picture...north or south side of Kellys? That will be close enough for me to walk to...YEAH!!!!!
I forgot all about chicken man dancing, I thought about him for months after we moved everytime I saw a live dancing advertisement down here. Glad to hear the wing place is still open.
Woodland station???? Don't remember that one.
Also, someone told me that our loaf and Jug on 67 is closed??? Wth? I thought they got plenty of business.
There used to be a bowling alley in town only they never had open bowling. It would be great to see another one come in so the kids have something else to do than just see movies. Can ya tell I'm excited to get home???
I think the school budgeting problem is nationwide at this point. No one wants to pay anymore until the administrators stop misusing the funds they have. Down here in Florida they are tearing down perfectly good schools just to build new instead of using the money for education.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,737,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt314159 View Post

Still no hwy 24 bypass.
Woodland Park, Colorado-08-26-07chicken-man-wp-bob

Back in the 80's, there was talk of a bypass going from what's now Wal-Mart over to where the hospital is. A guy named Gordon Jackson owned the land and I can't rememeber whether he was going to sell to the city for a bypass or if he was against selling his land for the bypass, but now, it's the Gordon Jackson Foundation's Aspen Valley Ranch, so I don't know where a bypass would be built.

A history lesson...

Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 AM

69 posts, read 193,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
Woodland station???? Don't remember that one.
A proposed downtown redevelopment project, basically taking most of the land south of 24 (between Gold Hill and Park street, more or less) and redoing that area. Hotel, etc. Never really seems to get anywhere though.

Quote:
Also, someone told me that our loaf and Jug on 67 is closed??? Wth? I thought they got plenty of business.
It's turned into 'Mountain Naturals', a health food store. There are three gas stations within a block of 24 & 67, it was redundant.

Quote:
I think the school budgeting problem is nationwide at this point. No one wants to pay anymore until the administrators stop misusing the funds they have.
It's popular these days to point fingers and say schools are wasting money, but people tend to do that without educating themselves on the issues first (not saying anything about you, just people in general from what I've observed). I've talked to our local school administrators recently and walked away convinced that they've done a great job of cutting as much as they could and are running a very tight ship. They're also scared about the potential for more cuts this year, there are no easy places left to cut that (except to cut teachers and increase class size).

Marcy, I've heard of a couple possibilities for a modern bypass, one would direct traffic a couple blocks south of midland ave (Pikes Peak Ave, I think?), the other would split it into two one-way routes (midland and henrietta, for example). The current downtown stretch of 24 is nearing capacity (according to CDOT) so it's not a matter of if, but rather when, something will need to be done about that. Not to say it won't still take a couple decades to get done, but...

Old 03-06-2012, 03:36 PM

[quote=Matt314159;23282567]A proposed downtown redevelopment project, basically taking most of the land south of 24 (between Gold Hill and Park street, more or less) and redoing that area. Hotel, etc. Never really seems to get anywhere though.[quote]

Oh, I remember now, didn't know what it was called.

[quote]It's turned into 'Mountain Naturals', a health food store. There are three gas stations within a block of 24 & 67, it was redundant.[quote]

Awesome, I bet it does well.

[quote]It's popular these days to point fingers and say schools are wasting money, but people tend to do that without educating themselves on the issues first (not saying anything about you, just people in general from what I've observed). I've talked to our local school administrators recently and walked away convinced that they've done a great job of cutting as much as they could and are running a very tight ship. They're also scared about the potential for more cuts this year, there are no easy places left to cut that (except to cut teachers and increase class size).[quote]
I understand what you are saying and agree that most do not stay informed on important matters in their communities. I was refering to my experience down here in FL. Went to many meetings here in Sarasota pryor to the tear down of my son's high school to get the admins to hear our points. A new building is the same as the old if the class sizes are still 35 to 1. I always stay on top of the schools and what is going on. Even in Woodland as I organized a massive showing of parents, at a school board meeting, in protest to the non tenure of one of the best educators Woodland has ever had. That was a long time ago. Glad to hear they are doing what they need to do to make sure the education of our young ones does not suffer. My youngest will be attending the high school in Woodland for his senior year in the fall. I am excited and so is he to be back with all his friends.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 PM

4,669 posts, read 6,737,637 times
We moved to WP full time in 1983 (built our house in Divide in 1975) when my dh set up his law practice. Our girls were 9 and 6 at the time, coming from the Cherry Hills School District (one of the best in CO at the time) yet were so far behind WP students it was embarrassing. They caught up, but what a wonderful school district that was. The teachers they had were so incredibly special. Mr. Johnson (Rickey) was especially wonderful. He knew how to really electrify education. Lin Winter and his rockets, Ellen Eisenhour, Peggy Christie, Alex Christie, Kathy Unruh, and so many more I can't think of off hand. This was back when the HS/MS were one building and Gateway was only K-3; 4th and 5th were at the now Cultural Center (the building was the gym and cafeteria) with modulars around outside. Middle was back at the HS complex. Our oldest graduated in 1992, the other in 1995. Then, when our sons started school, the older started at Columbine in 1989 (before Summit was built), the younger at Summit in 1994. The schools had nosedived so badly by then, it was a shame. We finally just took them out and put them in a private school in the Springs. I have several friends in Divide (and WP) whose kids went through RE-2 and got accepted to college and seemed to do well. But, back in the 80's parents were so involved in the school, the band boosters, (oldest daughter was in marching band), and so many sports activites. Our oldest comes back occasionally with her four kids and just shakes her head at how large and impersonal it all is now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or