Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:39 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lets say i take the 1st train ride up to the peak... after about 40mins they say were leaving! (cog train that is) and i miss it... what happens?
As they said on my train ride. "At the end of 40 minutes if you are back on the train you are a 'passenger.' If you are not on the train at the end of 40 minutes, you are a 'hiker'."

My recommendation for anyone taking the train is to get the 3 seat side if possible.

Bande1102: How much snow was on the peak when you went up on Friday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:45 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post

Bande1102: How much snow was on the peak when you went up on Friday?
I believe they said about 8-10 feet and they were expecting more either Friday night or Saturday night--can't remember exactly what he said. It was also pretty cold,too--5 degrees F at the peak.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:05 PM

87 posts, read 253,966 times
So the main site says about six hours to hike down, true? I assume it's very well marked heading down, right? Anyone take the Cog up and trample down? If so, any tips? Thanks!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 PM

154 posts, read 432,102 times
Default bad for your knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanAliens View Post
So the main site says about six hours to hike down, true? I assume it's very well marked heading down, right? Anyone take the Cog up and trample down? If so, any tips? Thanks!

I was very interested into hiking down Pikes Peak....but then was told by some experts that it was going to be very bad on my knees I am now training to hike it up

Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM

60 posts, read 315,519 times
Default Excellent photographs I may add from "EscapeCalifornia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I rode the train last summer. The problem with being on the mountain side is that the mountain is literally right there. It fills your field of view and you just see a bunch of rocks. The other side of the train could see for hundreds of miles. I was on the mountain side of the train. I have some pictures in my albums (click the picture icon below my name) to give you an idea what to expect. All of the long views were shot on top of the mountain or looking across the train out the other side's window.
Nice photos of the old homeland SoCal and Pikes Peak!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebondoe View Post
Nice photos of the old homeland SoCal and Pikes Peak!
Thanks! Glad you liked them.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 PM

18 posts, read 49,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradohh View Post
Thank you Mike and Escape California... Both replies were very informative.. I think i am going to do just that... We are going in Aug, i think we should be fine weather wise... but I will keep in mind what you said about it being windy up there... by the way can i drive up to pikes peak in my car if i wanted too? I dont live in Colorado and never been to pikes peak sorry for the newbie question....i heard you can but they don't have rails along the way up, so yes you can fall right off the mountain to your doom! how many accidents on average are there due to out of towners not knowing or not paying attention to the roads....
Just read your question, and haven't gone through all the other posts, so maybe this has been answered. Yes, you can drive up Pikes Peak, and there aren't rails (I think that's crazy). The only accidents I've heard of are racers (maybe 1 or 2?) going off the mountain during the Pikes Peak Hill Climb--an annual race to the top of Pikes Peak (also an insane race, if you ask me) There have also been some sad instances of attempted suicides. I don't ever plan to be in a car to the top of PP again--too scary for me, but thousands of people do it. The logical reason I would advise against going up in your car is that coming down is VERY hard on brakes. If you must go in a car, maybe you could rent one.

Last edited by westernhalf; 05-11-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 PM

18 posts, read 49,173 times
Quote:

It would be good to take an early ride up to the top if you plan to hike down, so as to give yourself plenty of time to get to the bottom. (Also, summer days here tend to be clear in the morning, somewhat cloudy in the afternoons). I wouldn't book an afternoon cog ride if a morning one were available....would be afraid of the possibility of poor views in the afternoon. Hiking down is hard on the knees!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
Take warm clothes for the trip down. Even in summer, it's cold up there!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:56 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,659 times
I know this isn't about the cog railway, but this question is about Pikes Peak. I plan to go there Sunday May 17th. I'll be leaving Pueblo about 12:30. I ASSUME I can drive to the peak, but when i called the phone # it said "18 of the 19 miles to the summit is open, you can reach Boulder Park 13,166 ft." Does that mean, IF I had gone today, I wouldn't have been able to reach the summit? I really plan to reach the summit. If i can't drive there, would the railway get me there anyway as an alternative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs