U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
bud bud started this thread

17 posts, read 83,105 times

Advertisements

Which ISP is the one to sign up for ?
My wife is finishing her Masters degree online she uses the computer virtuall everyday so I need speed.
Here in Kansas we have cox cable high speed internet which is real fast.
The kids download music videos and such
So I need some recomendations on which company to use for my ISP.
Any help would greatful
Oh yea we live in the North part of COS if that has any bearing.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,348,520 times
I have Comcast. They bought out the Adelphia system. I think it has improved. I have lost signal only once in the past 2 months. Current measured speed: 3.1 megabits per second

Old 04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
bud bud started this thread

17 posts, read 83,105 times
What do you mean Lost Signal not familiar with that, you mean you lost connection ?
That just should not happen these days.
We here have 7 megabites per second so It must be half the speed ?
Wow downloads take a while ?
I guess comcast looks like the only logical choice
As far as a modem do I have to buy one or does Comcast lease one ?

Thanks for the info

Old 04-09-2007, 01:31 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,348,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud View Post
What do you mean Lost Signal not familiar with that, you mean you lost connection ?
That just should not happen these days.
We here have 7 megabites per second so It must be half the speed ?
Wow downloads take a while ?
I guess comcast looks like the only logical choice
As far as a modem do I have to buy one or does Comcast lease one ?

Thanks for the info

Lost signal means I had to re-boot the modem. It's now very infrequent. With Adelphia, it could happen 3 times per day.

The speed with Adelphia was frequently less than 1 Mb/sec. Comcast says it can be faster, but I just reported what I measured today. Maybe one of my neighbors is downloading a movie. One disadvantage to cable, is that you share the bandwidth on your loop.

I bought my own modem at Best Buy. Some people report good results with DSL on Qwest; I haven't tried it.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:01 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,740,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I have Comcast. They bought out the Adelphia system. I think it has improved. I have lost signal only once in the past 2 months. Current measured speed: 3.1 megabits per second
Oh man, I was on my dad's computer yesterday (he has Comcast) and it was painfully slow. Just lightly better than a dial-up connection with a speed boosting software. I went in to tell him his internet s ucks. Haha, in a room full of other people and everyone agreed that Comcast is sub-par. Even the guy who owns a serious computer/networking company agreed.

I personally use Qwest's flavor (not MSN - but straight through Qwest) and have pretty decent speeds. I do web design for a living so I have to mostly be concerned about upload more than download but I do download things associated with my design from a client of mine (whole web sites in Photoshop format - big files) and it's not that bad at all.

It's much faster than my dad's Comcast. There was no excuse for his speeds to be that slow as most of his neighborhood were also celebrating Easter or not around. 3:00 pm on a holiday Sunday should be a good time to be on the internet.

Remember that Comcast users are on a network which is different than a DSL line. I have a straight line to the internet rather than a central point like Comcast where you are sharing your connections with others in your immediate area before you get to the internet. My speeds remain pretty consistant for the most part unlike my dad's speeds that can slow to a crawl in the early evenings.

Last edited by COflower; 04-09-2007 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: typos (hope I caught them all)

Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Default ISP relevant COS question

I live in the east side of Kings Deer near Monument. There is no DSL or Cable internet service available (as of summer 2006, probably should check again...). We receive internet data using Falcon Broadband via an antenna mounted on my roof which receives a carrier from a transmitting antenna mounted at the Kings Deer golf course. Fairly reliable. Lost connectivity for tens of minutes at a time during big summer thunderstorms. Lost connectivity for a few hours during our recent ice events. Speed is OK for me, saw downloads around 1.1 mbps and uploads around 0.6 mbps (test data from 6:30pm Monday night). Have every firewall and virus protection known to man activated.

I think I pay around $40/month for internet - something like that plus $12-15/month for El Cheapo phone service.

Use www.testmy.net for a pretty decent technical evaluation of your service.

Hope these posts helps us find the best service and save money.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:45 AM
ahz

9 posts, read 37,000 times
At work we use Qwest DSL. It used to work very nicely at 1.5Mbps/756Kbps, but lately the download speed is very slow. At home I have CoInfoTech.com 256Kbps DSL, and it works very well. Each service is about $30/mo.

I would consider switching to Qwest MSN DSL 1.5Mbps for home, but I really hate the thought MSN. I wish Qwest sold residential 1.5Mbps DSL without MSN for the same price.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,790 times
Default My take...

My experience w/ Adelphia was just the opposite of a previous poster. I had their service for 11 months before Comcast took over. With Adelphia, I only had 1 outage for around a day.

Comcast started off OK, but the last 2 months I've had 3-4 outages, 2 of which were multiple days. As a result, I'm fed up w/ paying $53/mo for hi-speed internet that keeps going off. IMO, Comcast is not holding up their end of the bargain. To top it off, we were paying ~$42/mo for hi speed internet. About 1 month after Comcast completed their acquisition, they jacked up the rates $10! Talk about annoying!!!

I look forward to the day when their is some REAL competition in town for hi-speed internet other than Comcast & Qwest. Falcon Broadband, and another hi-speed cable internet company, now have 10-yr options to prove hi speed internet to the city. Hopefully, they roll out their packages quickly.

In the mean time, I'm looking seriously at Qwest unless I can get some concessions out of Comcast b/c I'm fed up.

I wish Qwest DSL wasn't bundled w/ MSN - I wonder if there's a way to unbundle it - haven't asked yet, so I don't know.

Oh - we're on the NW side of town in the Mtn Shadows area.

Hope this info was helpful.
m

Old 05-22-2007, 09:17 AM
ahz

9 posts, read 37,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatador22 View Post
I wish Qwest DSL wasn't bundled w/ MSN - I wonder if there's a way to unbundle it - haven't asked yet, so I don't know.
A couple years ago, I asked, and Qwest said no. That's why I am paying more for less bandwidth with CIT DSL at home. In any case, it's very reliable.

At work, we have a business Qwest 1.5Mbps/756Kbps without MSN (and even without e-mail) for something like $30/mo. It's also reliable and allows incoming connections (for VPN/servers), and I wish I could get it residentially.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:30 PM

117 posts, read 569,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahz View Post
A couple years ago, I asked, and Qwest said no. That's why I am paying more for less bandwidth with CIT DSL at home. In any case, it's very reliable.

At work, we have a business Qwest 1.5Mbps/756Kbps without MSN (and even without e-mail) for something like $30/mo. It's also reliable and allows incoming connections (for VPN/servers), and I wish I could get it residentially.
Can a home business have the Qwest 1.5Mbps you speak of, or is it a matter of location and other reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs