U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 24,857 times

Advertisements

So my fiance and I have finally decided that we are going to move to Colorado - and that would most likely be CoS. But we have a few questions for the locals!

Her brother lives in Denver - he said he thought CoS was pretty small - but most websites show the metro to be 570k (we are coming from Sioux falls SD - 210 metro, and he was saying he thought it was closer in size to SF) - are there a lot of little cities surrounding Colorado Springs proper?

As far as jobs go, we are both graduating from law school - so we have a somewhat specialized field that can be difficult to find work in - what surrounding areas would be manageable drive/distances from the city? Our goal was to try and avoid a major metro area like Denver - so we wouldn't be interested in commuting there.

Are there other moderately sized cities that you may recommend over CoS? We are in our mid-twenties with no kids, getting married in September. Once we decide to live somewhere though - we will be stuck in that state for a while because of issues with taking the Bar Exam and getting certified.

And as far as CoS goes - I see everyone talking about District 20 as being good, what about District 49? I see a lot of nice brand new houses being offered for sale out there that looked pretty good, just wondering about the area.

Last question - we know we are gettting our share of mountains coming to Colorado - but I'm from Alaska and she's from Minnesota, we are wondering if we are going to be left high and dry when it comes to lakes and rivers! Anything remotely resembling a body of water nearby in CoS?!

Thanks to all those who take the time to respond, this really is a scary and exciting decision, and we'd like to know as much as possible before we pull the trigger!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 02:40 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,740,115 times
Remember to seek out the thread of Why Choose Colorado Springs? Tons of good information there and I think Mike needs to make it sticky.

So, anyhow.

C Springs, lived here most of my life. The metro area is just under (given some figures I read in the Denver Post, yes I get the DP rather than the weak CS Gazette)....anyhow, it's about 360,000 but the county is closer to 500,000. That includes the commnuties of Manitou Springs, Cascade, Calhan, Elbert and such. The US government has a good take on the population at http://www.census.gov/

I used to live in the Denver Metro area and believe me, C Springs is not small. Compared to Denver Metro it is, but it's not small by any means. We have people coming from all over the county and from Teller County (a lot of their legal services are performed here). I believe soon that Metro C Springs will become another Denver and I don't think it's that far off in the distance. With the military (Army) setting down roots in the next year, this place is going to rival many counties in the state for growth.

Attorneys around here are a dime a dozen. Not sure what you want to specialize in but in the upper circles of local society, they are very revered. You need to market yourself like a real estate agent might - serious networking - to get some great clients. We have attorneys and accountants that are well known in this city in the circle and most have been known for years. So if you plan on being in the best of the best, work the downtown seen after you get your BAR exams passed. Same goes for those seeking a lucrative real estate career. Which actually brings up a point...if you can specialize in real estate law, I bet you can make a good living. Not just because of the recent foreclosures but because a lot of the real estate attornies I know are older and should be getting out of law soon. It's not a glamourous life but it's better than posting your face on local TV for car accidents and such.

Falcon School District 49 is supposedly a good district but keep in mind that most of the voting public for their schools is in a very, very conservative area. I had a teacher of theirs live next to me and while she was a good teacher, the voters out there are a little too tight for this Libertarian. I think if you are going to have public schools you need throw as much money as you can while the getting is good.

It's not horrible but not a choice I would make but you said that you don't have kids yet so perhaps that will change...you life and where you live if you move here.

I would rather see my kids (if I had them in 39 or 20 or 12).

Lakes and rivers are not here in the Springs. You have to go in the mountains, to Gunnison, to the area before South Park (between Woodland Park and South Park) get any of that. There is Pueblo reservoir but in the summer it's packed. But you can do so many things here in the summer and winter that it makes up for not having a beach to land your boat or your need to splash in the surf.

Not a dull monment around here unless you make it so and I have seen that with people that move here and don't really ask around what is a good deal.

So that's what I have to offer you as a native of CO and the Springs.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:41 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,072 times
I also live here, but I live on the southern end of Colorado Springs in Fountain. Yes, plenty of new homes in the D49 area. The eastern side of Colorado Springs is relatively new, almost all of the homes have been built since 1994. Springs is gradually moving east and is almost one with Falcon- still D49. Falcon was once countryside with acreage and a good 30-40 min drive to shopping. Not now, there is now a Safeway and other shopping located in Falcon. The price of homes on the eastern side, where you are looking is comparable/average to homes in the area. You will have almost every home builder to choose from on that part of town. I think you will like that side of town. Powers Blvd. has really grown and just about everything you need is located on that road. You are right about the size, we have grown. However, you can get from one end of town to the other in about 20-30 minutes yet. I really think you will like the area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or