Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 23,887 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home South West near NORAD off of broadmoor bluff road on the mountain.
I would like to know what are your thoughts about this area and the real estate.
The home seems to have a great deal of privacy due to trees with a large size basement.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,890,719 times
I spent my teen years living on Royal Oak Drive and went to Cheyenne Mtn. High School.

I had come from District 11 and had schoolmates I had known from 1st grade through 9th so I was not happy about that.

The district is fine but I didn't like it. I didn't much like the attitude of many of my classmates there as many really didn't know people who may live in poverty settings and compassion most had was to volunteer in the services clubs but only for their college apps and not genuine caring.

My step-bro, however started in the district in 6th grade I believe (back then it was elementary 1-5, junior high 7-9 and high school 10-12) and has done very well for himself. He ended up at CU and graduated in the top of his class.

The area though, is beautiful. I remember being able to watch the summer storms blow through on the plains since the elevation we were at was a bit higher. You can hear the blasts on Ft. Carson when they are "down range" but it's not too big of a deal.

We were members of Colorado Country Club, which back then had some excellent summer activities for kids. Played a lot of tennis (even though I am not good at it) hit the driving range a lot and tons of swimming.

The schools are excellent academic wise but offer little in the diversity of the school population. I think Academy D 20 is better for that given the varying income levels up here.

Keep in mind, I graduated from Cheyenne Mtn. HS in 1986 so things may have changed.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,100,247 times
D12's area is a very pretty area offering lovely homes. The first poster is dead on with the schools- good schools but little diversity. The population is mostly white/caucasion and upper class. I have a gf who works at the lower income school in the district- yet the homes that surround it are still above the average in the city, so what does that tell you? (Skyview is the school by the way.) CSAP test scores range from HIGH to EXCELLENT, but this is due to parents who have college education and higher incomes, not because of better teachers. If you are seeking an elite class with that type of social status, then this is the right area for you. You will be surrounded by money, golf/country clubs, professionals, and most of all a white conservative community. It is very nice. Compared to D20, it is comparable, depending on what you are looking for. Diversity? D20 is slightly more diversified, otherwise the same.
http://www.cmsd.k12.co.us/

Old 04-11-2007, 08:18 AM

7,129 posts, read 9,203,523 times
When I moved to Colorado Springs I looked at homes in the Broadmor area, district 12. Upon showing me a home on a hill, the Realtor lead me outside to the deck and said, "just think, you can come home at night after work, walk out on this deck and look down on all the little people."

If that attitude exemplified the area, I wanted nothing to do with it. I bought a less expensive home in District 20 and I've never looked back.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:33 PM

431 posts, read 2,787,275 times
I don't live in the Broadmore area or even in Co. Springs but my daughter,husband and her step daughters do. I go to all their volleyball, basketball and soccer games. They are both in HS now. The older is a senior. I see several races in the teams and spectators. In fact some of the players are of mixed races. My daughter tells me that the kids are just like any other HS kids and like where my kids and her other childern went. The haves and the have nots. The snoots etc. That is what most schools are like. I hated my class until a class reunion many yrs later. They all grew up and most dropped that class of town kids, country kids, haves and have nots. Nothing has changed in schools today. In the Cheyenne Mt schools they do rate very high. I do know that. But I will admit, the first time I went to games that high heels were worn. LOL sure looks dumb on bleachers. Some women change shoes coming from work and the men sure remove ties. But there are many dressed just like me. Confortable. Everyone I have met have been very friendly.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Broadmoor district 12

Thanks for the replies,

I bought the home, however i dont really care about the schools since i have no kids!

Old 04-15-2007, 07:39 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,890,719 times
CSIG1001 - then why in the world would you have asked such a question?

Your premise was on whether or not D12 schools were a good place to raise kids...not about whether or not a single, or couple could live in the area...under whatever pretenses you have.

Oh my....I am going to be very careful about what I discuss with people from here on out. Your post was deceiving (sp) and I would assume some things that I wont post here.

No kids? I am sorry, I went on the assumption that you did have kids based on your post or at mimimum you plan on having kids.

Okay, you blew me throught he wind tunnel and further comments I will take with a grain of salt.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post
Thanks for the replies,

I bought the home, however i dont really care about the schools since i have no kids!
I wrongly assumed you were interested in the schools but schools are a reflection of the area. My daughter is a rural/country girl and marring a man that is more or less a city person was a problem finding a home where both would be comfortable. That area did well for them. My daughter altho not having much of a yard and neighbors looking into your windows was and is still hard for her. She said she has learned to live with windows and curtains closed and locking everything. She does have real nice neighbors but she started the block parties to get acquainted when she first moved in. Now all of the neighborhood does it and now all watch out for one another. They did not even know their next door neighbors before my daughter decided she could not stand living in a cocoon. So sometimes it is up to you, how the neighborhood goes. They have been there 3 yrs now and to quote my daughter " If I have to live this way, we could not have found a better friendlier place. With the trees we have some measure of privacy."

Old 04-15-2007, 01:30 PM

Default thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
I wrongly assumed you were interested in the schools but schools are a reflection of the area. My daughter is a rural/country girl and marring a man that is more or less a city person was a problem finding a home where both would be comfortable. That area did well for them. My daughter altho not having much of a yard and neighbors looking into your windows was and is still hard for her. She said she has learned to live with windows and curtains closed and locking everything. She does have real nice neighbors but she started the block parties to get acquainted when she first moved in. Now all of the neighborhood does it and now all watch out for one another. They did not even know their next door neighbors before my daughter decided she could not stand living in a cocoon. So sometimes it is up to you, how the neighborhood goes. They have been there 3 yrs now and to quote my daughter " If I have to live this way, we could not have found a better friendlier place. With the trees we have some measure of privacy."
Thanks for the reply. I basically was just trying to get a good idea on what CO Springs is like and the broadmoor area. I did alot of research before choosing the area i live in. I know just looking on google satilite the homes in front of fort carson and around that area are really close together. So i definitely know what you are talking about when it comes to not haveing trees and houses being so close to you , that you can actually look into your neighbors kitchen from yours .
I guess there can be some downfalls and positives about living at 6500ft above sea level.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I basically was just trying to get a good idea on what CO Springs is like and the broadmoor area. I did alot of research before choosing the area i live in. I know just looking on google satilite the homes in front of fort carson and around that area are really close together. So i definitely know what you are talking about when it comes to not haveing trees and houses being so close to you , that you can actually look into your neighbors kitchen from yours .
I guess there can be some downfalls and positives about living at 6500ft above sea level.
Only if you are a city person. Living in or near the mountains rural is my bag. My daughter is right behind one of the driving ranges. One house between her and the golf balls that land in the yd. But she has 8 mature jack pines around her yd. That certainly helps. That area may not be the only place in the city of the Springs that has old mature trees even tho the homes are younger but it sure is the prettiest, I have seen. So far they are only using a whole house fan in the summer. They seem to confortable with it. But to me the house gets pretty warm in the summer. I like my swamp cooler. My hubby is confortable in their home with the temp. Goes to show---------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs