Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,829 times

Advertisements

Did I miss the memo that declared the streets of Colorado Springs a race track? Or is it that the people in Colorado Springs are so in love with the red lights that they have to speed to them? When do those people realize that if they would slow down they could actually go without stopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
It's always been that way...not sure how long you've lived here but it's not unique to C Springs. It happens all over the place.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
Why yes, you did miss that memo!
You see, this ultra conservative town, with churches on every other block, is in a big hurry to meet St. Peter at the pearly gates ASAP. hehe.
Or, you can look at it in this perspective: We support our police and fireman by providing them with great TA's (traffic accidents). This comes from a wife of a fireman- me.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Like pictures on food cartons at supermarkets, traffic lights are just "serving suggestions" for savvy shoppers.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
Exactly Mike...but the police are trying to crack down (occasionally). I would venture to say that those who do the speed limit should stay in the right lane because they are going "slow". That's why they call it the "suggested speed limit" around here.
To add to that, we are starting to have a problem with drag racing, especially on Powers.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 AM

29 posts, read 125,601 times
When I lived in Colorado Springs I called Academy , "Academy 500"

- enough said

Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_H View Post
When I lived in Colorado Springs I called Academy , "Academy 500" - enough said
Too much traffic on this road now...action has moved over to Powers, aka "Raceway."

Old 05-04-2007, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,829 times
The worst part is that the speeders actually slow down the ones who do the speed limit since they sit at the red lights and don't get their butts in gear. If they would "slow" down to the speed limit they have a much better chance in getting a "green wave".

Old 05-04-2007, 08:38 AM

431 posts, read 2,793,790 times
On another thread, I know I told this. This was in our little town. My grandson was getting ready to take his drivers test. That would be about 9 yrs ago. I was driving and as things came up I would ask him questions. As I approached a light that turned yellow---I asked him what a yellow light meant. His answer---Hurry up, it's going to turn red. --I could not believe my ears. I looked at him and he looked dead serious. I said,"you're kidding aren't you?" He said he wasn't. ---I knew his Dad drove like a bat out of h*ll and run lights etc---also had license taken away, allowed only to drive to work. Which of coarse he cheated on. He about killed this same boy when he was only 9mos old running a stop sign, had a wreck, baby was in hospital a couple wks with a fracture skull. ---Anyway the point I guess I am trying to make is---just look at what we are teaching the kids and their kids and their kids kids. Somewhere, sometime, something has to give. Doesn't it???

Old 05-04-2007, 09:12 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Despite my often-repeated concerns that Colorado is heading in the wrong direction (sprawl, etc.), most times I am proud to say that I am a native of the state. But in one area that I am loathe to admit being a former Coloradan is when a discussion starts up about driving. Without doubt, in my mind (and I've driven in a lot of places), the metro areas of Colorado have some of the very worst and dangerous drivers that I have seen anywhere.

Speeding is epidemic in Colorado. Darting in and out of lanes, road rage, driving too fast for adverse road conditions--all of that occurs constantly. It should be an embarassment to the state. In my adopted state of Wyoming, if one sees a speeding, discourteous, or dangerous driver on the highway, about 9 times out of 10, it is a Colorado car. The Wyoming Highway Patrol is often accused of "singling out" Colorado drivers for citations. A Wyoming trooper told me one time, "We don't single out Colorado drivers--they are just THAT BAD!"

And, yes, Colorado Springs is a NIGHTMARE to drive in--worse in some ways than Denver, in my opinion. I used to have to go there fairly often on business. What a godawful mess to drive in. It's a classic example of what our automobile-centered society does to a place. The Springs used to be one of Colorado's nicest cities. Its cult-worship of growth and the automobile has made it a ****hole. Anyone who thinks it's nice now probably never saw it when it really WAS nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs