Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM

6 posts, read 16,204 times

Advertisements

Help! I'm in the process of buying a townhouse in the Canyon Reserve development in Mountain Shadows. The disclosure indicates that this is a "government designated geologic hazard area". I've been unsuccessful in finding out what this means. A structural engineer who inspected the house does not know either. The Colorado Geological Survey doesn't have this information available. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 PM

26,112 posts, read 48,706,745 times
Here's the city govt page on that topic.

Here's the key paragraph that seems to hold the most context:
- Policy NE 303: Avoid or Mitigate Effects of Geologic Hazards
Undertake efforts through the development review process to substantially reduce adverse consequences of development by recognizing and appropriately addressing geologic processes. Discourage development in potentially hazardous areas associated with hillside and geologic development constraints, including steep slopes, erosion, unstable soil, subsidence, coal hazards or similar development constraints

Knowing nothing more about the situation, my guess is that the home is on a steep hillside, or sits above an abandoned coal mine which often subside and the land shifts underneath the property. Best I can find on a map is this is up off of Centennial, in which case you are on a steep hillside along the foothills, i.e., there is some risk of landslides or unstable soil. It could also be subject to the mineral Bentonite, which is very expansive when it gets wet and can wreck foundations.

I wouldn't sign any contract until I knew for sure what the heck I'm getting into. These are fairly new TH's, about 2 years old in many cases, and it may be too soon for faults to be noted. IMO, I'd be leery, especially if you are getting the bum's rush to hurry up and sign, and/or if a lot of TH's in there are for sale, that could be a red flag.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,426,282 times
There are a few things geologically I am aware of that can be problems in this city and one of these problems may apply.
1. Peakview coal mine used to go right under the city and countryside. Some homes are build on top of old mine shafts and thus subsidence/sinkholes are a possibility.
2. Some homes are built in ridiculous areas subject to erosion - such as edges of mesas, in the flood plain right next to Fountain Creek, etc.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 16,204 times
Default Thank you both

Good advice. Helpful suggestions. I'm getting structural and geological engineering evals. which should help validate or alleviate my concerns.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:03 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,968,203 times
If I were the buyer - there is no way I'd go forward with the sale.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:16 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,440,785 times
Check with your insurance company!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,152,116 times
They would not put that sign up there for no reason. Good plan getting it professionally evaluated. If I were you, I would not take any chances for the sake of a view or other perks that a certain lot might offer.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:35 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,934,429 times
That sounds like something to get evaluated for sure! Form this article, it also sounds like Mountain Shadows has a regular Gestapo for an HOA.

Mountain Shadows great - if you like jail | Gazette, The (Colorado Springs) | Find Articles at BNET

Old 06-02-2009, 12:43 PM

26,112 posts, read 48,706,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
That sounds like something to get evaluated for sure! Form this article, it also sounds like Mountain Shadows has a regular Gestapo for an HOA.

Mountain Shadows great - if you like jail | Gazette, The (Colorado Springs) | Find Articles at BNET
Great link. "Ranger Rich" is one of my favorite columnists, I usually crack up reading his stuff, a lot like the old Dave Barry columns. FYI for those who don't know him, he has long since left The Gazette and now writes for The Indy; he's the one in sunglasses.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:37 PM

7,120 posts, read 9,189,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvfog View Post
Help! I'm in the process of buying a townhouse in the Canyon Reserve development in Mountain Shadows. The disclosure indicates that this is a "government designated geologic hazard area". I've been unsuccessful in finding out what this means. A structural engineer who inspected the house does not know either. The Colorado Geological Survey doesn't have this information available. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks
I had a friend who lived near there. There is a sliding zone and some houses have moved a lot. The structural damage was immense. I were you, I'd avoid the area. Also the Covenant police there are brutal Nazis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs