U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 33,731 times

Advertisements

Question: Are there any mostly brick home developments in the Colorado Springs area?

My husband and I have vacationed in Colorado a couple times and are planning a couple more trips this year specifically as scouting trips looking to possibly move there sometime in the next few years.

We stopped by a brick company in the Fort Collins area last year and asked about brick developments in the area, and he sent us to Cheyenne! He acted like brick was a foreign object.

Just a side note: there were really nice brick developments in Cheyenne. I can't imagine there not being any in Colorado, so I figured I would ask the experts--the people that LIVE there!

The importance is because my husband has had a masonry business for the past 15 years. Our future trips will definitely include visits to the masonry companies in the Colorado Springs area.

Thanks in advance for any help you might can give.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:04 AM

19,539 posts, read 35,593,043 times
All we see up here in the Briargate area is stucco or siding, very little brick evident. All 94 homes in our sub-div are stucco.

We see brick on older homes, but don't recall seeing any new stuff here using brick.

Almost certainly, any new construction using brick would be a custom build.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 AM

15 posts, read 33,731 times
Thanks Mike.

He mostly does custom homes here and up until last year (when the industry slowed down), he would do spec houses in between custom jobs to keep the guys busy.

I may list this question in the Denver area also. I think the Rocky Mountain Masonry Institute was trying to get ordinances passed on certain new developments in the Denver area requiring a certain amount of brick.

Maybe there are more brick developments there ???

Thanks again

Old 06-26-2009, 10:34 AM

4,290 posts, read 5,818,158 times
Where I live, there are several homes that have brick - they are typical sheetrock construction but as an upgrade homeowners put brick over the house. It looks nice. But it is not construction from brick sans original sheetrock - I think you have to look to older construction like Capitol Hill Denver for that kind of stuff.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 PM

641 posts, read 1,864,925 times
Not much brick construction at all in CO. Texas and Oklahoma home builders use brick for homes and they are quite nice. I prefer the look of brick homes, but the trade off for living in CO is well worth it.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:18 PM

76 posts, read 247,971 times
Not much brick here at all... definitely not many neighborhoods with all brick houses. Maybe in the Broadmoor?

Stone and stucco is Colorado's "version" of brick!

Carrie

Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM

2,437 posts, read 6,824,078 times
I live in a stucco home, and while I do admire the look of well-layed brickwork, I really do';t see what the big deal is. Stucco is much easier to lay and less expensive than brick as a finishing material, and if done right, it's essentially as durable and long lasting as brick is. It's also nearly maintenance free. That's why you see so many stucco houses out here, not because we don't know what brick is.

That said, if you really want a brick home, you'll have to find an older home in an established neighborhood, of which there are a few around COS. Either that or build a custom home with as much brick as you want.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:13 PM

4,290 posts, read 5,818,158 times
Brick construction isn't a good idea for earthquake-prone areas. We do have the potential for earthquakes here although they are not common.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:19 PM

2,437 posts, read 6,824,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Brick construction isn't a good idea for earthquake-prone areas. We do have the potential for earthquakes here although they are not common.
I second that. Even though Colorado is not exactly the most earthquake-prone area, non-reinforced masonry structures just don't have the resiliency they'd need to stand for decades in a relatively harsh climate. The assumption is that the OP wants to find a home with brick as a FINISHING material, and not as the primary structural material. If the latter is the case, then by all means heed otowi's advice and DON'T DO IT!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:54 PM

3,334 posts, read 4,834,945 times
Maybe the ground shifts too much here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs