U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 10,329 times
Thanks so much everyone. I hope I didn't give the impression that we just wanted to live in the fanciest part of town. Lol...we just want a nice neighborhood. Actually my aunt and uncle live in Divide so when we go visit them we go through Woodland Park, which is absolutely wonderful. You know...I think we might look there. Thanks for the advice because even though it's beautiful we didn't even consider it until now. Thanks very much!

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 12:03 PM

1,931 posts, read 4,291,000 times
No problem Rebecca. As you can imagine, some do want to live in the high end, most elite and we are just trying to accomodate everyone's wants and desires. As you can see, just because the Broadmoor area is elite, we don't all want to be there. Those of us who have been here, know what great secret Woodland Park is...true CO!

Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM

16,448 posts, read 10,020,060 times
OK, the secret is out! What is the zip for Woodland Park? And what is the altitude?

Old 07-04-2009, 06:19 PM

90 posts, read 249,622 times
Try Upper Skyway. Cheyenne Mt. Schools are supposed to be the best.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,815,208 times
Well, from an educator's perspective who has taught in D12 and elsewhere, I would say Cheyenne Mt. Schools are fine, maybe even good, but not the best. There are schools in D11 that I think are better than D12, such as Palmer, and about the same as D12, such as Coronado and Doherty - let alone schools in D20, D38, etc. The district rests on its laurels and wealth and does not keep up to date with the top pedagogy, programs, etc. for kids compared to other more diverse districts and simply ignores a lot of issues thinking it is somehow immune because it is in the old money part of town. Also, kids who go through D12 all the way have reported to me serious, serious drug problems and serious, serious clique problems that really alienate kids who aren't from the "right" families - hence, in the former case, D12's push for random drug testing this coming year.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:12 AM

1,931 posts, read 4,291,000 times
I can second Otowi's comments of D12...HUGE drug problems. The kids have more money to buy and the prescription drugs!!! I have friends who teach in D12 and to listen to their stories of parents competing with one another on what they bought their child's teacher for Xmas is ridiculous- Vegas trips...

Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 PM

90 posts, read 249,622 times
There used to be a site where you could compare test scores of schools. I looked but couldn't find it.

Having worked with homeless teens here, I know drugs and cliques are in all schools. Rich and poor, buy or steal drugs. Cliques are tough; also doesn't alway pertain to just "rich kids". One of my daughters and a friends' children had problems with cliques in D20.

Woodland Park does sound interesting but tough in the winter if you have to commute to the Springs.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 10,329 times
Wow...drug problems are so rampant nowadays. It's very scary. Although we did look in Woodland park we decided on the east side of the springs. We like the area and were able to get a six bedroom house for much less than we thought! We are very pleased and will be moving soon. I know...six bedrooms is a lot, but we have a large extended family that are always wanting to visit, so we figured we would get a place with lots of room. Thanks again everyone!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:52 AM

44 posts, read 64,136 times
If you want to be in the trees on a bit of land, look in the Black Forest area. If you need to be closer to amenities, try the Pinecreek neighborhoods, and north of there (Northgate area). Some of the hottest real estate right now is in the Flying Horse development. District 20 and 38 are very good. You won't go wrong with either one.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:35 PM

23 posts, read 50,914 times
Hi Rebecca. I have to put my vote for Flying Horse on the north end of town. From your description of what you're looking for, Flying Horse is exactly it. It's broken down into "Villages" based on the size of lots/homes and price. I live in Village of Saratoga, which is one of the "cheaper" villages. Here, home prices range from $400,000-650,000. I believe for $750,000 you can easily build a home in Village of Calistoga, which is gated. The lots and homes are bigger than Saratoga, but not as big as Toscano. Discovery Canyon is an excellent public school, but if you're set on private schools, Da Vinci (I think is private, not sure though) and The Classical Academy are very close.

Here's another thread on this board about Flying Horse where you can get more information. http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...orse-area.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs