Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,859,463 times

Advertisements

Well said BFDS ...

When I think about my childhood, and look at everyone's lives now - so regimented, everyone walking around afraid of everything and everyone and what might happen - people freaking out because a few park and rec things are closed - we always made our own fun and found plenty to do - seems like on one knows how to do that anymore ... but I digress.

The biggest farce about the fireworks is that they are allowed to sell them here, but you can be arrested for using them ... I wish someone would explain that logic to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Well, I guess we should ban smoking, bicycle riding, ladders more than two rungs tall, skiing, rock climbing and rappelling, backyard barbeques, and fireplaces in homes, too, because all of these cause more injuries and deaths than fireworks each year.

Getting in your car to go see a movie when there's snow and ice on the road on a winter day in Colorado is far more dangerous to you and those around you than people shooting fireworks for an hour or two a couple nights a year. Yet nobody would think it necessary to require movie theaters to close when the roads are icy to prevent all that careless risk-taking, would they? You're far more likely to seriously hurt yourself hanging Christmas lights on the house or catching your Christmas tree on fire than by lighting a bottle rocket out on the sidewalk, but for some reason that risk-taking is sanctioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 05:17 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
If you ban guns, only criminals will have guns.
If you ban fireworks, only irresponsible people will have them.

All the ban does is to take away the fun from those of us responsible enough to use them safely...

I agree with the above posters that it would be a good idea to set aside a park of some sort on holidays to limit the danger of fire. The increase in sales tax revenue would be more than enough to pay for the costs incurred.

Watching somebody else light off fireworks is about as much fun as watching somebody else eat their dessert. You can smell it, you can see the wonderful colors, but it just isn't the same.

Go ahead and grow up if you like, but I'm not planning anything of the sort.
Such a shame!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I agree there is less activity with the ban--so the ban works because it exposes less people and property to risk.

Interesting, in my blue collar neighborhood, there were a few people using fireworks; not the majority, as usual. However, there are always the same neighbors. When, I have talked to them over the years, my impressions were always of the less educated; people who drink in excess, and I notice that they drive exceedingly fast through this residential neighborhood. There were much less of them this year because many of them who did it year after year---lost their homes in foreclosures.

I have also noticed that immigrants, which are many in my neighborhood---Russians, Vietnamese, Laotian--do not use fireworks. They are also the ones who own no dogs, no motorcycles, no recreational vehicles. I am willing to bet, that their home mortgages are paid and their children do better in school. It was the same in my working class neighborhood in New York, over fifty years ago---only the immigrants were different; they were from Europe.

There is a lesson here--if you can see it--then you and your family may achieve a fortunate future; if you cannot not, well you always have fireworks--boom, flash and it is gone...

Livecontent
Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Nothing personal, but your analogy is way off target.

Before you make such statements, I suggest you do a little research first.

So is the purpose of the ban to lower the fireworks activity? Really? Also, how many houses got burnt down and how many people got injured/killed in states that legalize fireworks versus Colorado?

Sorry, I ain't buyin' it.

Quite honestly I'm tired of all the bans. Let's get back to the personal responsibility of individuals and let them make decisions. The PC, touchy/feely society that we live in today is sickening. Trophies for all, no winners and losers, ban this/ban that because some people aren't responsible, etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
If you ban guns, only criminals will have guns.
If you ban fireworks, only irresponsible people will have them.

All the ban does is to take away the fun from those of us responsible enough to use them safely...

I agree with the above posters that it would be a good idea to set aside a park of some sort on holidays to limit the danger of fire. The increase in sales tax revenue would be more than enough to pay for the costs incurred.

Watching somebody else light off fireworks is about as much fun as watching somebody else eat their dessert. You can smell it, you can see the wonderful colors, but it just isn't the same.

Go ahead and grow up if you like, but I'm not planning anything of the sort.
Agree!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:04 AM

Oh, why don't we just go ahead and ban motorcycles too....they're loud and they kill people. Much too dangerous for society. Shut down all the fast food joints as well because people are getting way too fat. Oh, and lets have a fat tax for all of the unhealthy food in stores. You see, it never stops...sooner or later, people will be fed up with bans because of a few people being irresponsible.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times
This thread is SO LAME...

I do realize that illicit fireworks aren't that hard to obtain, but I'm still glad there's not a bomb shack on every corner throughout the month of June. If you really want to see fireworks, better to let the pros handle it.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 AM

132 posts, read 673,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
... It is done by licensed trained people and is much safer. I know that it is difficult just to watch, because it is so much fun to play with our toys...but this is not Neverland and try as we may, we can never be Peter Pan; we must grow up.

Livecontent
Some people just like doing things themselves. They like to fix their car, plumbing leaks, welding up a broken tractor part, and lighting up their own fireworks. Others want someone to do this for them. It's called choice.

So, if you are not a hands-on type of person, there's nothing wrong with that, but don't slam others just because they want to do things themselves with their own hands.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
This thread is SO LAME...

I do realize that illicit fireworks aren't that hard to obtain, but I'm still glad there's not a bomb shack on every corner throughout the month of June. If you really want to see fireworks, better to let the pros handle it.

If the thread is so lame, then simply ignore it and move along.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:49 PM

641 posts, read 2,276,714 times
The only issue I have with fireworks is that some people aren't courteous and considerate about it.

If they shoot them off from home, is there a reasonable time of night that they should stop? What if they continue till 1am? Is that unreasonable? Should they be able to shoot them off whenever they like.....5-6am??? I don't think anyone would want to wake up to that.

Also, I wonder if part of the reason for the ban in the city is that they can sometimes sound like gunfire? I really dunno.....just wondering?

A homeowner a few houses away buys bags full of fireworks every year and sets them off in the middle of the street. Yes, it's illegal, but I've never reported him nor would I.

He's a grown adult, but of course, there are small kids around. How can they resist the show? He tries to keep them out of the way, but he can't watch them all and he's in the middle of the street. Cars still move through the neighborhood. He's not responsible for all of them.....they're not all his. But as long as he's out there, they're going to be out there too. The safety of the lil' kids is one thing.

The second thing is the next day, there are scraps of the blown fireworks covering the street, in the yards, on the vehicles, on the roofs of houses, and all over everyones property.....and of course he's nowhere to be found when it all needs to be cleaned up. What if an errant firework damaged someone's property? Would he be held responsible? How would anyone prove it??

As stated by another poster, the city could have specific areas that are approved to set off fireworks. That way, they could be monitored by safety officers and cleaned up when done.

Either way......ban or no ban....it's not like they can stop everyone.

Last edited by Terytee; 07-07-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM

This just in...the City of Colorado Springs issued NO citations for illegal fireworks...NONE!

It's a bit surprising to me considering the weeklong announcements of strict enforcement from the CSPD.

So there you have it...your Colorado Springs fireworks policy. Ban something and don't enforce it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs