U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 PM

21 posts, read 139,666 times

Advertisements

This may be a silly question, but...

Does the change in altitude affect pets?

We are currently at 1300 feet and I see Co Springs is at 6,000 ish. We have a 5 1/2 year old dog and a 1 1/2 year old cat. Has anyone noticed when they moved there if the altitude affects the pets?

Also, say the altitude change bothers me and my husband a little bit... does it go away pretty quickly once you get adjusted?

Thanks

Jackie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
I've never seen it affect pets. I seriously doubt that altitude change will affect you at all - 6000 ft is not high enough for the vast vast vast majority. Yes, it goes away pretty quickly.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the reply.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:53 AM

76 posts, read 264,797 times
I was concerned about the altitude and pets too. We moved here a year ago with a 15 year old Golden and he seemed to do just fine. I'm sure if they are very active or if you are hiking there might be some issues but I'm sure you'd be the one to stop for a breathing break before the dog would. Our cats are indoors - no issues. We've actually taken our new 3 year old Golden to the top of Pikes Peak and he did great. We gave him extra water and a warm doughnut so he wasn't complaining! ha ha

Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,483,318 times
Yes, it does. And just like people, animals will adjust primarily based on their fitness levels. Some people seem feel no effects, others will take a couple weeks to feel 'right' or 'normal.' Expect them to sleep deeply after they arrive. They will be fine!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 AM

85 posts, read 170,498 times
Thanks for the info. Our kitties will have much to adjust to since we'll be driving from California to make the trek to the Springs. I imagined it would affect them, in addition to the stress of the trip. I'll check with our vet to see if we can help make it easier for them.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
No, it's not a silly question, In fact, it's one of the few good, new, not-previously-answered-1000-times questions I've seen on here for a while.

We have a tortoise and I was worried about the same thing when we moved from sea level to over 7200 ft. elevation. Especially since a tortoise is a cold-blooded reptile, I wasn't at all confident that it could easily adjust like a larger mammal could. I tried to research it online but could not find much specific info on it at all, so I just tried not to worry about it and made our pet as comfortable and warm as possible during and immediately following the move.

It;'s been nearly a year now and we have not seen any sign of problems whatsoever. He/she continued eating and pooing regularly throughout the move and as soon as we plunked her down in her new spot she seemed to be just fine.

I would think that with dogs and cats it would be even less of an issue, However, just like with humans, if they're really old, unfit or sick, they may have some real difficulty adjusting. Even then, I highly doubt that any adverse affects would be chronic and certainly not mortal.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscassandra View Post
Thanks for the info. Our kitties will have much to adjust to since we'll be driving from California to make the trek to the Springs. I imagined it would affect them, in addition to the stress of the trip. I'll check with our vet to see if we can help make it easier for them.

We are also driving far. According to mapquest, from northern michigan to co springs it is a 1400 mile drive and about 25 hours non stop. We are bringing along a 180 lb mastiff and a kitty. It should be interesting! I really hope they do well with the move... I know it will be stressful but we will do the best we can.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,159,862 times
I'm sure it effects pets as it will effect you. For the most part the effect is mild and short. The first 24 hours you are here you should take it easy. No, you don't need to stay in bed - nothing like that. Just avoid heavy work, hiking, biking etc. You may feel a bit tired but it shouldn't be anything more than that and should pass within 48 hours. Unless there is some health problem - that should be it! Welcome to the Colorado Springs area - you are going to love it here!!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I've never seen it affect pets. I seriously doubt that altitude change will affect you at all - 6000 ft is not high enough for the vast vast vast majority. Yes, it goes away pretty quickly.
When I lived in Colorado I never got adjusted to the altitude. Some people never do.

It did not seem to affect my cats, but with cats, it's hard to tell.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs