U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:38 AM

19,023 posts, read 13,873,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Check the weather if you are heading out this weekend. Potential thunderstorms and could be snowing at the summit...
Yeah, my friends warned me of the weather too, and I've postponed this to next week.

But look, it's a shiny day

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
By all means, go! I visited Colorado for the first time in early October last year, and visited Pikes Peak. I took the cog railway. Around $30 I think, but well worth it. Pleasant, meandering hour long journey to the top. I found it fascinating to see the changes on the way up. And what a view at the top. It's cold and windy, but there's nothing like it. I'll do it again whenever I return to Colorado.
Think I'll use the railway too. I'm never used to driving downhill (on the way back), I don't wanna die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 12:43 AM

8,125 posts, read 13,096,535 times
Default Pikes Peak PHOTO TOUR

Few pics from Clear Lake (?) up to the top and back down to Manitou. Hope you enjoy.

Hmmm... 2010 Camaro

woah

Bambi

It's on like Donkey Kong

Old 08-12-2009, 09:11 AM

76 posts, read 111,626 times
Wow, really great pics. Colorado is simply gorgeus. I remember camping there as a child and visiting the continental divide on the way home -- we played in snow for the first time ever, and it was during the summer and about 70 degrees out.

I'm so excited to move to The Springs next fall. I can't wait to take the cog train when we visit in the spring, but I think we should wait until maybe the last day of the trip since the elevation is so high. Do tourists have trouble if they take the cog train on the first day of the trip? Mind you, we're in California at about 50 feet above sea level.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:21 PM

17,217 posts, read 23,902,240 times
Here's an article in one of our local papers today about a former gold mine on Pike's Peak, with six photo's. Seems a lot of the equipment is still up there, a hundred years later.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:12 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,674,150 times
Can I add some pics? I have some Pike's Peak photos from our trip in March of this year...

Old 08-16-2009, 01:29 PM

5,258 posts, read 3,665,667 times
Great pics, thanks for the tour. Brings back lots of good memories.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:06 PM

Default Pics from our trip up Pikes Peak on the train, 3/09

Old 08-16-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscassandra View Post
Wow, really great pics. Colorado is simply gorgeus. I remember camping there as a child and visiting the continental divide on the way home -- we played in snow for the first time ever, and it was during the summer and about 70 degrees out.

I'm so excited to move to The Springs next fall. I can't wait to take the cog train when we visit in the spring, but I think we should wait until maybe the last day of the trip since the elevation is so high. Do tourists have trouble if they take the cog train on the first day of the trip? Mind you, we're in California at about 50 feet above sea level.
I'll be honest with you... we took the cog train trip towards the end of our one week Colorado vacation, and while STUNNING and beautiful, none of us felt very good by the time we got up top.

It was in March so it was cold and the heat on the train was way too much, so that didn't help either. We drank lots of water but still felt icky by the time we got up top and on the way down, it was still stuffy and hot on the train. The window by our seat wouldn't open either. The kids were drowsy and slept most of the way down.

I am still glad we made the trip but it wasn't as pleasant as I'd hoped because of the way we all reacted to the elevation, combined with the overheated train!

Of course YMMV. My mom took the same trip with a friend a year before and only got a bit dizzy. Drank extra water and felt fine.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 AM

8,125 posts, read 13,096,535 times
Thanks for the pics Fierce! Any pics of the Cog or Pikes Peak sounds good to me.

I was dizzy this last time up there!

Old 09-30-2011, 05:28 PM

17,217 posts, read 23,902,240 times
Default Pikes Peak Highway is now fully paved.

Pikes Peak Highway is now fully paved after a 10-year effort. The remaining 1.5 miles of dirt road are now paved and some more drainage work will be done.

It's a great drive but one's vehicle needs to be in good shape and drivers need to follow the recommended driving procedures they provide when one enters the highway at the toll stop. Vehicles must have a low gear and descend in that gear, then stop at the halfway point to have their brakes checked for excessive heat by a Ranger. If brakes are overheated the brake fluid can boil away and leave very little braking power to stop with. Vehicles with over-heated brakes are required to sit in a parking lot for 30 minutes to let them cool.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-30-2011 at 05:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs