Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 06:23 PM

31 posts, read 149,381 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am requesting any helpful input for our situation, and will have additional questions.

My husband and I are considering relocating to Colorado Springs. We have two children, ages 5 and 2; we are 32 and 30. My son will start Kindergarten this September. Due to the recession my husband was laid off in February this year and it was quite the wake up call. The economy is going down, but especially in southern california, and I have the feeling that I don't want to stick around to see how it pans out. We are currently living in Long Beach, CA and the cost of living is very high. We are all sleeping in the same bed in a little one bedroom apartment and feel it is time we consider our options. We are NOT native Californians. In fact, I was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska. We are accustomed to awful, awful cold and snowy winters and looooong, dark days, so Colorado weather does not scare us (although we have been quite spoiled weather-wise here in sunny socal the past seven years).

Our interests: my husband is currently entering the field of "triathalons". He is sold on the idea of moving to Colorado. He misses fishing, camping, snowboarding go. We love to workout, and are health conscience. My husband would like to know: are there lakes in/around Colorado Springs? And what sort of hunting? Ugh. Him-not me.
Also, we are concerned about the job market. I have sensed through my research that jobs aren't as easy to come by in the area. We are smart people, but do not have any formal or college training. My husband does possess his EMT license and wishes to enter the medical field. I myself am a devoted housewife and mother and will probably be obtaining a license to open up my own childcare so that I can be home with my young ones. We enjoy a simple life and will be happy in a modest and clean two bedroom dwelling in a safe neighborhood. Homeschooling is also an option we are considering, although I would like them to also have the "public school experience" as well.

To other moms and dads, I am requesting your opinion/input/advice for our situation. Feel free to relate your experience. As a side note: my husband is concerned I won't like it because I am a "big city girl", but honestly I don't get it. I don't wear makeup, I live in exercise clothes, my children are my life - we socialize, we go to parks, we bake, we scrapbook, we go to movies, we go to our place of worship twice a week. I don't do any "big city" things, so now that we have children I feel it's time to move somewhere more accomodating for them. Oh, and one other thing: we are a multi-cultural family, although we only speak English (my husband is mexican although he has never been to the country and never spoke the language) and are pretty average all around. I haven't found any info to support racism, so I am guessing it's "good to go"?

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Climate here in COLO SPGS and the "Front Range" (I-25 corridor) is fairly mild, not SOCAL weather, but not Nanook of the North either. You'll be nicely surprised at how mild it is here - most of the time.

There are lakes and reservoirs around, nothing all that huge, but lots of guys go boating and fishing. There is also stream/river fishing. Hunting is big here, to include Elk. Use the Index or the Search Tool to find those threads.

Your rent here should be a lot less than Long Beach; for the same money as there you should get something much nicer here.

No real racism here. Lots of Mexican culture, some of the families go back many generations.

I've read that EMT jobs pay poorly here, not sure, search on EMT to find those threads, I know there's one. Jobs are not abundant but something can be found somewhere somehow.

Schools here are very good to excellent. Mom's can tell you a lot more.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:19 AM

31 posts, read 149,381 times
I appreciate it. I noticed your post with all the links and used it fully. Thanks Mike. And yes, it does seem that we will find reasonable rent. We pay $775 for a one bedroom and that's considered a steal. I checked several sites, but the pictures on Craiglist were unbelievable.

Just a little worried about the jobs. And like I mentioned, we have been very spoiled in SoCal. I live 3 blocks from the Pacific Ocean and we go walking (is there a lot of "walking" in CS?) each day along the beach. But then again, when I visit my parents in Washington in a little farm town, I fall in love with the mountains and the green and the peace and quiet. It's almost like I feel sedated, and my children enjoy themselves as well. So I suppose you lose one thing but gain another.
Colorado Springs reminds me a lot of Anchorage, from what I can tell. Just warmer. And honestly, that's appealing for me. I had a great childhood in Anchorage and would love for my children to grow up that way. But you only have cold and colder in Anchorage. I have always wanted four seasons and it seems like CS has that to offer.
A little nervous about moving, leaving all we know, but there has to be many families with children - you know, mom's to befriend and play and plan with. Really, that's what makes life to me: the people.

If anyone else has photos of CS to post, that would be great!!! I'd like to see the neighborhoods, shopping, downtown, parks, just regular CS people walking around...

Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 AM

85 posts, read 203,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelinzoe View Post
I appreciate it. I noticed your post with all the links and used it fully. Thanks Mike. And yes, it does seem that we will find reasonable rent. We pay $775 for a one bedroom and that's considered a steal. I checked several sites, but the pictures on Craiglist were unbelievable.

Just a little worried about the jobs.
Hi there! My boyfriend and I are going to check out the Springs in early October for 3 days and will let you know what we think of the area and the weather. Born and raised here in Cali, I know what you mean. I can guarantee it will take some getting used to, as I would say it took me a good 6 or 7 years to get used to the temp and rain in Northern Cali compared with the Imperial Valley (desert) where I grew up. Nonetheless, i think it's doable and I can't wait to have white Christmases and less bugs.

The job thing has me kind of for a loop right now. I'm an independent contractor for a website and I always have personal training clients as well, so I feel confident I can manage for both my boyfriend and I if needed for a bit. However; I've been warned about the job situation there, and it's just as bad as it is here where I live from the sounds of it. So, I don't look forward to finding my bf a job out that way, and in fact I'm already researching that.

One thing, I believe it was Mike, recommneded to me this site: USAJOBS since there are so many government facilities there in the Springs, that would be one surefire way in.

I hear lots of Californians are moving out to Colorado and specifically the Denver/COS area. Esp young couples like ourselves, looking to live in a nice area where we can ...gasp!....buy our own homes for less than $700k!! Wow, I can't wait. Our budget will be most likely be $200k max after a year of renting in COS, and if you look on realtor.com you'll see there are tons of houses in that range. Heck, for $750 a month, you could have a $160k mortgage payment in COS. No joke.

It sounds like your husband will really like it there! Plus, they have GREAT schools in COS. I'm sure you checked out the performance of Colorado schools on the index page that Mike posted. Isn't it crazy how many excellent schools they have? With the WORST being AVERAGE?? It's like the exact opposite of California.

All the best!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-14-2009 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Fixing link

Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM

120 posts, read 371,546 times
Anyone interested in Colorado Springs should also check out Falcon, especially the Woodmen Hills development. You'll get more house for the money there, and the 20-minute commute is about the same as in the city. The 1/2 acre lots and houses with 3-car garages are pretty standard, but you there are others both larger and smaller available. Great school system (Home) and close to two military bases (Schriever and Peterson), not too far from the Air Force Academy (which has a civilian fire department with EMTs) and a reasonable distance from Fort Carson. There are a lot of young families out here so another daycare would be welcome. Other job sites that I've used include www.indeed.com, www.monster.com, and www.simplyhired.com. We have several churches, retail shops, restaurants, golf course, grocery, Wal-Mart and a great view of Pikes Peak. Speaking of which, every year there is a run up Pikes Peak and back down again. This area is very athletic-oriented. Fishing, camping, skiing, snowboarding are VERY popular here. Headquarters for the U.S. Olympic Committee is here (CS, not Falcon). The area is quite diverse. My husband is also Mexican, but never lived there either. He's never encountered any discrimination here. Good luck with your decision and hope you choose Falcon.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:31 PM

21 posts, read 163,308 times
The job situation can't be that bad in Colorado Springs! I grew up in Warren, MI (just north of Detroit) and right now the unemployment is 18% there. I live in Gaylord, MI and it is around 15% unemployment. According to city data, it is half that in Colorado Springs. Michigan is going down the drain, and I don't intend to go with it. That's part of the reason why we are moving outta here soon!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,259 times
Hi,
I have been living in California for the past 30 years. (I am not that old). i am a preschool teacher and I love kids. I was running a preschool and day care from home and loved it.My husband is very ill and i have to close my business which will stop my income too. I am planning to move to Colorado Srings and I would like to know which would be the best area where I can find families who need child care and can easily afford it. Also if anyone knows the full time rates for a good in home child care.
Thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 AM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
I would try to get a job with the existing child-cares. My son's day care recently closed one of their "rooms" because they dont' have enough children. With people not having as much jobs, daycare isn't as needed.

All that being said, I personally feel there is a lack of good, quality day care for infants here in CS.

Good home daycare for one child would run somewhere around 140-150 a week. I believe we pay just about that for a center daycare, and the home daycares are normally right around there.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:02 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
I lived in Colo Spgs for ~13 years, and unemployment isn't bad considering you'll be coming from Southern Cal. However, it's not recession proof, so it's not like jobs are easy to come by- competition is keen. Health care professions also don't do as well here compared to other areas in the country (my wife is an RN).

I'll echo that it isn't Alaska climate-wise...the weather is wonderful, IMO. Very sunny and while it gets really cold occasionally, it doesn't last and the few snowfalls melt quickly.

Do NOT live in Falcon. If your husband wants easy access to outdoor activities and good access to triathlon training areas, he won't find it there. Once you get east of Powers you're in suburban sprawl and it feels like you're in Kansas. You can find great schools in D-20 or D-11 which are in the city proper and much closer to the mountains and outdoors activities.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,141 times
Hi there. My husband james and i just moved to colorado springs about 3 weeks ago from wiscosnin. Jobs in this area are completely dependent on skill trade, and im not sure about EMT's. I have a daughter thats 3 and another one that is just under 2. I pay about 635 dollars for a two bedroom in an apartment complex with pool, play ground and spa. Food is a bit higher but the utilities are much cheaper than they where in Wisconsin and I know by you in cali. [ mod cut ] The people here are very friendly, and pretty honest, I was surprised, Im half mexican and though you couldnt really tell by looking at me I have seen LOT and LOT of Mexicans and this doesnt seem to bother anyone. The place I live is called village East Apartments you can find them online. Its pretty cheap, clean, neighbors are considerate, and there is an elementary school right across the road. Needless to say speeding doesnt really happen here and it is as far as I have seen or heard pretty much crime free and before I moved I had researched schools and they have some of the best grades in the country there like 6th on the list I believe.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-17-2011 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Links to competing websites not allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs