U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:14 PM

151 posts, read 398,944 times

Advertisements

First of all I was a good girl and did a forum search on Fountain. I read all the replies/posts. So here's why I'm confused. It seems it's about a 50-50 vote on whether Fountain is a good area or an area that's not so good. I've seen posts that say it's great and others that say stay away. So which is it? Or is it a matter of personal choice. If we move there my husband will be working at Ft. Carson (as a civilian). Should we stay near that area or live a little futher away. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 10:37 PM

649 posts, read 2,648,992 times
You know, I think it is a matter of preference. However, also look at the school scores and go to the CSPD and look at the crime rate in that area. Here are some links for you.
http://www.greatschools.net/
http://www.springsgov.com/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=7 (broken link)

Hope this helps. bashep

Old 04-29-2007, 12:15 PM

20,307 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyR View Post
First of all I was a good girl and did a forum search on Fountain. I read all replies/posts.
Bless you.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:27 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,952 times
If you like the small town atmosphere, you will like Fountain. We do have a Walmart, Safeway, and other fast-food resturants. We also have community events at our parks/city hall occasionally. We have quite a few new home builders in our area, so if you are looking for a brand new home (cheaper than in the Springs), you can still get one. Just like Colorado Springs, we do have a part of town that is lower income (not necessarily higher crime though- compared to Springs). I really think you have to come visit to get a sense of what Fountain is about, tour Springs' areas, and see what makes sense for you and your family. Everyone is different so please come check the area out before buying.
This is colorado department of education's website where it has all the districts in the state SAR
http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp (broken link)

Lynette

Old 04-29-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the links and responses and Mike thanks for all the smilies!!!! I will do some checking. More than likely if my husband gets the job he will move there before us. We have a house here to sell. He also has a cousin in the Springs who could take him around to various areas.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter what, you are really going to like COS. No matter where you end up living, we are a small enough city that you can travel here or there at ease.
HURRAY!!!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter what, you are really going to like COS. No matter where you end up living, we are a small enough city that you can travel here or there at ease.
HURRAY!!!!!
Thanks Froggin'. Keep your fingers, toes and eyes crossed he gets the job. If not (perish the thought) I've learned alot about what seems to be a lovely place to live.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 26,932 times
Well, Fountain does have a few Pros and Cons:

Pros
1. Your husband will have a very quick commute (Gas prices are ridiculous)
2. Your property taxes will be lower ($700 vs. $1200 for example)
3. You get more home for the money with New Builders like New Generation Homes and Oakwood Homes.
4. School District 8 is not too shabby.

Cons
1. It is said that there is a particular smell in Fountain
2. It's not as well developed or mature as some other areas
3. Lots of rentals due to military families having to leave quickly.
4. A bit further from the rest of the Colorado Springs area (i.e. downtown, shopping, etc)

So, really it is a matter of preference. I live in same part of town in an area called security and actually enjoy living there. I have a very nice size home and only pay $700 per year for taxes. I also attended a district 8 high school many years ago and happen to think I received a fair education.

[moderator cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-30-2007 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Links to commercial sites not allowed, best if in your Public Profile.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:03 PM

Ythe smell! Stay away from homes on the west side of 85/87..otherwise you will get the smell! This means stay away from homes around Southmoor Dr. I really suggest looking at Oakwood homes for a new home. Most individuals who do their research on here end up moving into a newly built home anyhow.

Daina--I hate that smell! Thank goodness it doesnt travel too far huh?!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Ythe smell! Stay away from homes on the west side of 85/87..otherwise you will get the smell! This means stay away from homes around Southmoor Dr. I really suggest looking at Oakwood homes for a new home. Most individuals who do their research on here end up moving into a newly built home anyhow.

Daina--I hate that smell! Thank goodness it doesnt travel too far huh?!

What is the smell? Is it a garbage dump? I know here in Tucson near the dump it's nasty!! Thanks for the heads up guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs