U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 06:28 PM

132 posts, read 602,663 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the plans at the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department (http://www.pprbd.org) - we all have a few strange habits , and noticed that Costco has filed it's plans for a store at 5881 Barnes Rd, Colorado Springs, CO 80922. Near, or at the corner of Powers Blvd and Barnes Rd. It's plans C45040 and C45039, and you can view them at http://www.pprbd.org/PublicAccess/Plan_Details.aspx. It'll have a Costco Gas Station and Costco Liquor Store.

Yes, I know the Gazette reported Costco was coming, but the until the PPRBD gets the plan and issues a permit, it's just rumor. It appears to be real now.

Now if we can just get Trader Joes (http://www.traderjoes.com) (http://www.traderjoes.com) and - broken link) and Uwajimaya (http://www.uwajimaya.com) to put a store here, we'll be in fat city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 12:57 AM

17 posts, read 71,603 times
No Trader Joe's in Colorado Springs? That is bad news, I love that place...and Costco! I hope there is a Walmart Superstore at least?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:12 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
They're also looking at building a Costco at Nevada & Austin Bluffs, less than six miles west from Barnes and Powers. It seems odd to build two Costcos so close together in an east/west orientation when the city seems to be spread in a north/south shape.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussielover View Post
I hope there is a Walmart Superstore at least?
Oh yeah....there are a ton around here.

Hit up their website you can find them all. I live pretty close to two of them.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
They're also looking at building a Costco at Nevada & Austin Bluffs, less than six miles west from Barnes and Powers. It seems odd to build two Costcos so close together in an east/west orientation when the city seems to be spread in a north/south shape.
The Powers/Barnes location is better for those folks in the East such as Peyton, Falcon, Calhan, etc. I seldom go into the downtown area of Colorado Springs to do shopping anymore because there is so many more new stores near us now.

There is a lot of residential development east of Colorado Springs and the commercial developers are just following the crowds. But you are right, it's odd to have two Costco stores so close together. I can't of any other place where I have seen that.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussielover View Post
No Trader Joe's in Colorado Springs? That is bad news, I love that place...and Costco! I hope there is a Walmart Superstore at least?
Yes, Woodman and Powers....the Powers corridor. I stay away on weekends, prefer going on Tuesdays.

Buzz is that TJ's won't come here due to CO liquor laws. Can't sell beer and wine in supermarkets. Supermarkets can only sell 3.2 beer (aka near-beer). Liquor stores are only places to get real beer, wines and liquor, they are closed on Sundays and no one may own more than one. Gee, do you think we need some modernization of old laws here or what?

Old 09-06-2007, 05:50 PM

Just an update on the Costco. They finally got the Permit from the Building Dept on Aug 30th, 2007. The address is 5881 BARNES RD, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80922. At least they seem to be underway...

Old 09-06-2007, 06:10 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeach View Post
Just an update on the Costco. They finally got the Permit from the Building Dept on Aug 30th, 2007. The address is 5881 BARNES RD, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80922. At least they seem to be underway...
Was down that way the other day, the dirt is moving now. Bigbox warehouse stores go up quickly, walls & roof, not much more to them. If they aren't open for the holiday season, they will be just afterwards.

s/Mike

Old 09-06-2007, 07:20 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
Quote:
But you are right, it's odd to have two Costco stores so close together. I can't of any other place where I have seen that
The new Target on Powers and Union can't be too far from the Target on Powers and Stetson Hills(I think). And those are obviously on the same side of town.
And the Wal-Mart on Powers isnt't too awful far from the one on Platte either.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Default Redundant planning in Monument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
The new Target on Powers and Union can't be too far from the Target on Powers and Stetson Hills(I think). And those are obviously on the same side of town.
And the Wal-Mart on Powers isn't too awful far from the one on Platte either.

Questionable planning? (The last three are in Monument):
Two major hospitals within a couple of miles of each other: 1) Woodmen and Powers and 2) Union and Briargate
Two Costcos within five miles of each other (and orientated east and west and not north and south like COS is spread out)
Three Mexican Restaurants: Two near 105 & Jackson creek and one in old Monument
Two take and bake pizza places & and a Rotellis within a mile or two in Monument
Three Chinese Restaurants: Near Kohls/Home Depot, Near 105, & near Sooper Kings within a mile or two in Monument.
I know competition is good but the planning seems redundant.

I wish there was a close by Korean and a Thai restaurant. (Not impressed with the sushi joint near 105 & 25). For sushi, Juns and Kura are worth driving to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or