U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 24,407 times

Advertisements

We are visiting CS in August. Looking for 5 acres of treed property. Black Forest looks to be too expensive for us! Would like to build a fairly small to medium sized 2 bedroom/2 bath home, and it seems Black Forest is drawing the attention of alot of people with money and BIG houses. We can afford $425-450 max (total land + home); and would be more comfy with spending only $400. It looks like there's NO WAY in Black Forest, unless we buy an existing home there. It would be so nice to build our own home for once in our lives. Does Palmer Lake sound like the place for us to look? Would appreciate any input anyone can give us. There aren't many pics of PL, but the altitude looks good for trees. Thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 01:18 PM

291 posts, read 1,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbly View Post
We are visiting CS in August. Looking for 5 acres of treed property. Does Palmer Lake sound like the place for us to look?
I go to PL a few times a year and can make the following notes about it:

1) The altitude is high and snow sticks around for well into Spring. The weather is rated as among the worst in the state, next to Monument hill, a few miles to the east.
2) The mountains are close on the west, the sun sets early.
3) There are few or no 5 acre lots in the area, only much larger ranches or much smaller house lots.
4) Where there are larger (1+ acres) lots...mostly to the north, they are very pricey, maybe that's not a big deal, but then you're in horse farm/gated ranch territory.
5) There are 2 sets of train tracks through the middle of town. Mostly coal for the power plants. They won't stop using those tracks anytime soon.

Instead of Palmer Lake, I'd advise a little farther north of Black Forest. There are some nice properties but public services are sparse. But if you get just the right altitude, there can be lots of trees, but "lots" in Colorado isn't very many.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:36 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
I happen to love Palmer Lake. It is in a pretty setting and often will stay green in the summer when a lot of nearby areas don't. The main part of town still feels like a small town and not a suburb. I happen to like the climate there--cool in the summer, with a fair amount of rain (by Colorado standards), snow in winter, but not usually bitter cold. Some people may not like the climate, though.

Palmer Lake does have its problems, however. I understand that it has had water supply issues during the current multi-year drought (the last time I was there Palmer Lake itself was nearly dry). Yes, there are a lot of trains through town. Personally, I don't mind that a bit, but some may.

You won't find acreages in Palmer Lake proper, and I would think any acreages close by would be just as overpriced as Black Forest.

Finally, the dirty little secret no one wants to talk about in the unincorporated parts of Douglas, Elbert, and far northern El Paso County (including the Black Forest) is the well situation. Most wells in the area are drilled into the Denver Basin acquifer (sometimes called "the Araphoe" by oldtimers). I grew up 40-50 years ago on that well water and the common belief by hydologists then was that the acquifer contained a 400-500 year supply. Well, thanks to all of the growth in unincorporated Douglas County that now depends on that well water, the common belief of hydrologists is that there may be as little as 25-30 years of water left, some believe even less than that. Personally, I would be concerned about plunking down a big chunk of money for house and property where the water supply may be assured for only a relatively few years. More of that great Colorado "planning" and "smart growth."

Old 04-30-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Water Issues

Thank you both for your replies. Water is an issue everywhere nowadays, but that sounds pretty serious! I sure appreciate you informing me of this situation. The whole western region is and has been fighting droughts for at least 15 years time. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 15years. Don't think it is a problem that can be escaped if you want to stay in the West, as we do.

What to do? Can you give me some direction for the area other than PL and BF?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,574 times
Default REAL ESTATE PRICES in Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbly View Post
We are visiting CS in August. Looking for 5 acres of treed property. Black Forest looks to be too expensive for us! Would like to build a fairly small to medium sized 2 bedroom/2 bath home, and it seems Black Forest is drawing the attention of alot of people with money and BIG houses. We can afford $425-450 max (total land + home); and would be more comfy with spending only $400. It looks like there's NO WAY in Black Forest, unless we buy an existing home there. It would be so nice to build our own home for once in our lives. Does Palmer Lake sound like the place for us to look? Would appreciate any input anyone can give us. There aren't many pics of PL, but the altitude looks good for trees. Thanks!!!
.................................................. .................................................. ....
REPLY: Even a rental unit in Northern or mid-colorado exceeds $500.00.
Homes average $175000.00/$300000.00. More forclosures in Colorado than
the top 10 in USA. Taxes on residences increase avg 30% every two years.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 PM

Default I do mean $400,000 to $425,000

Should have put a "K" behind the numbers!

What's this about the taxes, eh?

Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,107,697 times
I'm scheduled to close on a Home in Palmer Lake on August 3rd. I plan to rent it for 1-2 years and then move in myself as soon as my work situation allows. I was well advised of the water issues before I put my bid in. it is a concern, but it seems like no more of a problem than what I've lived with in CA for many years. The 'higher' home prices here seem cheap to me as well. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. I would be interested in what any resident (or frequent visitor) would have to say, good or bad, about the overall quality of life there. Please try to be objective though, since personal opinions about weather, trains and scenery vary wildly and are seldom helpful.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,107,697 times
In case you're new to the Palmer Lake area, or to Tri lakes in general, here are some helpful links:
Community News: Our Community News
PL data: Palmer Lake, Colorado (CO) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
TL Tribune: Colorado Community Newspapers - Tri-Lakes Tribune - Front Page
PL Bike trails: Palmer Lake, Colorado Mountain Bike Trails || SINGLETRACKS.COM
Awake the Lake: Awake Palmer Lake
PL townsite: Town of Palmer Lake Colorado
Boatable lakes (in CO): Boatable Waters - Colorado State Parks
TriLakes YMCA: Tri-Lakes YMCA - Serving Monument, Palmer Lake & Woodmoor, CO
County Trails and parks: El Paso County, Colorado - Parks (http://adm.elpasoco.com/Parks/Parks_and_Trails_Accessibilities.htm - broken link)
Online Photos of PL: Palmer Lake, Colorado

Enjoy!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNNIEOAKLEY View Post
.................................................. .................................................. ....
REPLY: Even a rental unit in Northern or mid-colorado exceeds $500.00.
Homes average $175000.00/$300000.00. More forclosures in Colorado than
the top 10 in USA. Taxes on residences increase avg 30% every two years.
Please post your cites for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs