U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 PM

655 posts, read 1,683,145 times

Advertisements

We lived in Oklahoma for 60 years and were always disappointed with the brewpubs. The alcohol content is so low that the beers didn't develop a lot of flavor. Now that we're in Washington, one of the few things we like is the beer - the flavor and richness. (It's also been nice to pick up a bottle of wine in the grocery store.)

It sounds like Colorado liquor laws are very restrictive, like Oklahoma's. What's the allowable alcohol content of beer sold in liquor stores? What about brewpubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 07:40 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,348,520 times
Default Colorado Liquor laws

I think the only restriction is that the alcohol content of grocery store beer cannot exceed 3.2% You can even buy this wretched stuff on Sunday.

You must buy real beer at the liquor store, but never on Sunday! If its alcohol content exceeds 7%, it is called ale.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Default 3.2% vs. 6%--exploding the urban myth

As has been posted earlier beer sold in grocery stores is "3.2%" alcohol content, liquor stores sell "6%" alcohol content. "3.2%" has no taste, no punch, etc., right? Well, it's mostly psychological. Here's why: 3.2% alcohol-content beer contains 3.2% alchohol BY WEIGHT; 6% alchohol-content beer contains 6.0% alcohol BY VOLUME. If you measure the alcohol content of "6%" beer by WEIGHT--guess what, it comes out about 3.6% or so. Not much difference between the two. A "secret" from a friend who worked for years in a Colorado brewery.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:34 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
As has been posted earlier beer sold in grocery stores is "3.2%" alcohol content, liquor stores sell "6%" alcohol content. "3.2%" has no taste, no punch, etc., right? Well, it's mostly psychological. Here's why: 3.2% alcohol-content beer contains 3.2% alchohol BY WEIGHT; 6% alchohol-content beer contains 6.0% alcohol BY VOLUME. If you measure the alcohol content of "6%" beer by WEIGHT--guess what, it comes out about 3.6% or so. Not much difference between the two. A "secret" from a friend who worked for years in a Colorado brewery.
Thanks for that tidbit.... just all the more reason to chuck the Blue Laws, which we did in VA... 30 years ago.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:58 PM

13,630 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Default beer

When it came to beer, I just drank the stuff. I liked some better than others.

If I drank Elephant Malt Liquor, my alarm clock didn't work the next morning.

I believe that these "Ice" beers that were popular when I last drank beer had about 5.1% by whatever. PBR and Old Style had a slightly higher content of alcohol than your standards: Coors original, Bud, or Miller High Life.

I do remember 3.2% tasting like snake puke and my head and other parts would pound uncontrollably the next morning- although purely psychological.

In Nevada, you can (or at least could) buy Cuervo Gold from the gas station at 3:30am on a Sunday.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:36 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,348,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Thanks for that tidbit.... just all the more reason to chuck the Blue Laws, which we did in VA... 30 years ago.
The liquor store owners love the Blue Laws. They all get Sunday off, and no competition from Wal-Mart!

I'll bet they are big political contributors!

Old 05-01-2007, 05:15 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
3.2 % Alcohol by weight does not equal 6% A.B.V., it equals only 4% A.B.V.

6% Alcohol by volume is equal to 4.8% alcohol by weight.

Regular beer here in Canada is "5% to 5.5% ABV," equal to "4% to 4.4% ABW."

Old 05-01-2007, 05:19 PM

13,630 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Thanks to Walmart, they'd be done.

There's this Liquor Store on North Federal. I was driving a co-worker from our Lakewood site up to Longmont and I thought I'd show him the old neiborhood. I was trying to point out that Sundstrand was up the way and that I used to live right by there. He looked to his left and just started bustin up. I said "What"? He said "Look at the name of that Liquor Store.

Liquor Box.

Anybody remember Phar-Mor?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 PM

53 posts, read 417,279 times
Default Amazing what lasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've never understood why laws like this stick around. Who is being protected by only allowing grocery stores to sell a certain type of beer and only there on Sunday? If liquor stores don't want to be open on Sunday, they don't have to be. Its called a free market economy. Stupid laws suck.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

3.2 % Alcohol by weight does not equal 6% A.B.V., it equals only 4% A.B.V.

6% Alcohol by volume is equal to 4.8% alcohol by weight.

Regular beer here in Canada is "5% to 5.5% ABV," equal to "4% to 4.4% ABW."
Thanks for good info...and here's a toast to the land of Molson. Ahhhh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs