U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM

5 posts, read 26,998 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are considering a move from Florida to Colorado. We both dislike the rude, unhappy people in Florida, the sweltering heat, and the high cost of living compared to the low wages. He is from Pennsylvania so he knows what bad winters are like and I am originally from California but also lived in Pennsylvania for two years so I also know the cold and i don't think that would really be an issue for either of us. We are both students so we don't have a lot of money to be able to visit Colorado but we don't really see any opportunity for us here in Florida. We have been discussing moving from Florida for a few months when just last night an opportunity presented itself to us to move to Colorado Springs and be able to split the costs of moving with friends which honestly sounds wonderful at this point in our lives. I am worried because we both have never been there, and at this point cannot afford to visit, but we have heard MANY wonderful things about Colorado. I was wondering about the current economy in Colorado and any advice on moving or not moving. We have both been going back and forth on this issue and we are really looking for a place to settle down, with opportunity, and in the near future be able to have a family in a safe and happy place with room for growth. Any advice will help and thank you very much!

Hello everyone! My fiance and I are strongly considering moving to Colorado. We currently live in Florida and are really struggling here. In the area we live in the unemployment rate is 14.7 percent. My fiance has a job but the pay in bad (8.00/hr) and his hours have been cut back to 15 hours per week which does nothing for us. I do not have a job and have been unable to find one for months. Since we are struggling here we are considering selling everything and leaving this area as we are not the only people we know thinking about doing this. We have to opportunity to move to Colorado and split the cost with friends. We would keep one of our cars and sell the other along with all of our furniture. We know we would be taking a loss on those items and we are ok with that, they are only possessions. Now, we have been considering moving to Colorado for awhile now but we were wondering if now is the time to just take the leap and go for it. We are determined to get back on our feet financially and we know that it is just not going to happen in Florida as this state is losing jobs at an extremely high rate because this state is funded by tourism and there is not much of that happeing here right now. All of the statistics we have read say that Florida will be one of the last states to recover from this recession and mostly all of the statistics about Colorado seem good. We are not expecting to go there and think it will be easy, we are realistic people and know it will be hard. We just are sick of the struggle in Florida and want to move someplace with opportunity and where we don't have to spend an arm and a leg to live there or go out and do things like we do here in Florida. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Amanda

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-09-2009 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Best is to finish the education there and hopefully have a job lined up here before you move. Denver is a much bigger city with much more opportunity and is only an hour up the road.

It's all good here. The city isn't so big that commuting is a problem, so most anywhere would be fine. Come on out and rent a place for a year, during which you'll learn the area and find whichever area suits you best.

These days, we advise folks to get the job here first, then come out, though some intrepid souls come here with no job and carve their future anyway.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,681,120 times
I think you'd like Colorado. The economy right now is mixed - some people get jobs quickly and some people don't, it is hard to say what would happen, but I wouldn't count on being able to show up and have a job right away.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,102,887 times
If you are going to do it, do it now. Best time to explore new places is when you are young and have no strings attached. If you have enough to pay rent/bills for 6 months, that should be enough time to get everything figured out. Expand your job search to Denver as well, you may like it better with being young and no family.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:19 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabel View Post
.... Hello everyone! My fiance and I are strongly considering moving to Colorado. We currently live in Florida and are really struggling here. In the area we live in the unemployment rate is 14.7 percent. My fiance has a job but the pay in bad (8.00/hr) and his hours have been cut back to 15 hours per week which does nothing for us. I do not have a job and have been unable to find one for months. Since we are struggling here we are considering selling everything and leaving this area as we are not the only people we know thinking about doing this. We have to opportunity to move to Colorado and split the cost with friends. We would keep one of our cars and sell the other along with all of our furniture. We know we would be taking a loss on those items and we are ok with that, they are only possessions. Now, we have been considering moving to Colorado for awhile now but we were wondering if now is the time to just take the leap and go for it. We are determined to get back on our feet financially and we know that it is just not going to happen in Florida as this state is losing jobs at an extremely high rate because this state is funded by tourism and there is not much of that happeing here right now. All of the statistics we have read say that Florida will be one of the last states to recover from this recession and mostly all of the statistics about Colorado seem good. We are not expecting to go there and think it will be easy, we are realistic people and know it will be hard. We just are sick of the struggle in Florida and want to move someplace with opportunity and where we don't have to spend an arm and a leg to live there or go out and do things like we do here in Florida. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! Amanda
Amanda, it will not be easy, but COLO SPGS or DENVER could be where you find a job of some sort and make it.

Advice of others is fine. If you've nothing in Florida you have little to lose, so do it while you're young and free.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 26,998 times
Thank you very much!

Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 8,850 times
Question Update?

My fiancé and myself are almost in the same boat, Although we haven't quite picked a city (suggestions??) I'm curious as to how you are doing now??

Old 09-04-2011, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 12,012 times
Get out of FLA while you can! That state is a mess, as you well know. My son and I just moved to COS last month. We came from the Tampa area and its going to take some time to get used to it.
A couple of things to keep in mind before you move...
Colorado does have a State Income Tax, however a much lower sales tax. Ends up about the same.
Auto Insurance is higher and I can see why now. People drive a little crazy here.
Get ready for Auto Tag shock! $71 for registration in FLA, forget about that. More like $300 to $400 for a newer vehicle here.
Grocery prices?? I would have to say it is more expensive here.
High speed Internet? They are a little behind the times out here and you pay out the nose for it.
Housing is cheaper, or at least you get more for the money.
Gas prices are about the same...so far. Maybe a little cheaper, like 2 to 3 cents.

I love the weather, so far. It gets chilly at night, right now its like November in FLA. Cool at night, 50's, but warms up nicely during the day. Not sure what to expect later on.
The people are much nicer, I have yet to meet a rude person. Most people are very considerate and willing to at least say "HI".

I for one, am going to enjoy it here (after I adjust to the time-zone and get rid of this annoying headache). The views, the climate and the people make this a great place to be.
Not so sure about my son, he grew up in FLA. I think after he enrolls in College and starts to make friends, he will like it a lot better. I hope...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs