Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Leaving Florida for Colorado, Florida housing expensive, high property taxes, traffic congested, unfriendly people in Tampa area, Colorado people more friendly

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 PM

12 posts, read 20,539 times

Advertisements

I am not from Florida but I lived 1 1/2 hrs from Panama City in a small town call Dothan, AL. I truly understand what you mean abt the people. Even though I know some nice people, if your not born, bred, raised there you are an outsider. I have met with discrimination on and off the job. I was passed over for a supervisor position not because I wasn't qualified enough, it was because I was black. The guy that got the job never graduated from an accredited radiology program, mind you I hold a bachelors in Radiology with a minor in business. The quote from the director was " cream rises to the top and all the murk falls to the side." I have been called everything from the "N" word to pretty little colored girl. I know that can happen anywhere but I hope that coming to COS it would be less noticeable. The only thing that these people care about is the good ole boy system. Mind you that the hospital I work in there is only a handful of blacks that hold degrees only two have management position. This from a facility that has over 3000 employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJane View Post
I know this post is some years old, But i could use some advice... I'm in my early 20's and I was planning on moving to Denver for a better live... I currently live in Florida, And i'm wondering if moving is a really good idea or not?
I grew up in Florida, and now live in Colorado.

two words.
DO IT!!!

There is only one reason I can think of why not. if you are a surfer, you might miss Florida. But Snowboarding will quickly take its place.

OK, another. If you love fishing in Florida, you might miss it.
Fishing in Colorado is a whole different thing. What they call a big fish here, you would call "bait"

Old 01-08-2012, 04:34 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,714 times
DreamerJane: We could use a bit more info from you. Do you have a job lined up here? If not, what is your field? Are you a student? What are you looking for in a "better life?" Renting? If so, what's your budget? Are you an outdoors kind of person (biking, hiking, etc.), or looking for the night life? Tell us about yourself, and we can give you a lot of information.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 PM

67 posts, read 159,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
Finally, the people. I personally believe this to be the worst aspect of the Tampa area (or maybe it is a Florida thing or even a 2007 thing). People are generally not very friendly or accommodating. Most have established 'clicks' which are hard to join. As parents, we have found this as have our kids. In fact, any folks that have moved into our neighborhood over the past 3 years have moved out within that time. All of the originals (neighborhood is 7 years old) are all still here. I have coined Florida as the new 'Show Me' State. Why? Because most folks down here are worried about their tans, their 'surgically-enhanced' bodies, their Mercedes and Hummers and how much money they have. They care little about others. Again, I know this will cause some outrage in others as it is just an observation.

Rick 'from down south'
I know this is an old post but...NOT a 2007 Thing! My family moved to Sarasota 2 years ago, from Woodland Park, needing a change, and found it to be the biggest mistake of our lives. The water, beach, and fishing are wonderful but the OP is exactly on point about the people. While we have made friends with our landlord, I have never seen such blatant contempt for strangers in all my life. I thought it was the economy getting people down but if the OP saw it in 2007, it blows that theory. We go home to WP at least once a year to check on our home there and took our landlord (only friend here) with us and he commented on all the smiles and "hellos" he received while visiting. He said "what is wrong with everyone here, they are all so happy?" That was it for me! I'm headed home in July for good!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:45 AM

469 posts, read 913,017 times
Quote:
I know this post is some years old, But i could use some advice... I'm in my early 20's and I was planning on moving to Denver for a better live... I currently live in Florida, And i'm wondering if moving is a really good idea or not?
COS is in my top 3 areas to move to. Monument Co is my first choice. Close to everything, open and stunning beauty. Denver is a little too big for me. Its a big city and traffic, crime and other issues are not getting any better. COS has great weather, some days in winter can be a bear, but it beats the two seasons in Florida. Hot & Hotter with bugs and strangling humidity all year around.

I see you are in Panama City Fl. That area took a major hit with housing and the military draw down. Lots of closed commercial buildings and houses for sale. The money and smart zoning seem to be on the beach side of the Hathaway bridge. Area around the base is going down hill fast. The entire area is for tourists, no real industry and service based jobs. Meth and pill mills have really done a number on this area in recent years.

Dont blame you for wanting to move. Its become one big trailer park. The nick name of Redneck Riviera fits.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:05 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I personally think moving away from Florida is a great idea. I've never lived there but I have family who has, and they have NOT prospered down there. My little bro is stuck down there, hanging with the worst crowd and struggling to survive, and he will probably wind up in jail. It is a tough place to get a start and live. And the people...part of that is an East Coast thing but in FL I think you get East Coast meets Deep South. Both CAN be friendly if you crack the shell people seem to have...even up in VA, you can make friends but you can't expect strangers to really be friendly like they are from the Midwest to the Left Coast. I'm not sure what's up with that East Coast hard ass attitude but there it is. But FL can be incredibly stupid, nasty and downright dangerous from everything I've heard, and most of the reason is "the people."

Since you're young, I'll make one thing clear: There is no place anywhere, that you can expect to have a good lifestyle without WORKING to earn it. If you're willing to work, and don't make excuses, you can find places that will provide better opportunities than FL, but you should do some research and figure out what you're going to do before you jump.

The questions in Carrera's post are good ones...if you have specific ?? the folks at City Data have good answers.

Best of luck whatever you choose!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM

17 posts, read 40,763 times
I lived in Orlando FL for over 25 years before moving here in Dec 2011. I liked FL, there is lots to do if you know the niche areas (once Disney etc get old of course). The water is great, beach and lakes. Motorcycle weather all year round, or top down in your car (I did both). Lots of good shopping and restaurants, close to other cool cities like Tampa, Boca Raton, Miami.

With that said I like it here too, all the outdoor activities annd mountain scenary. Everything is new also so that is cool. The snow is actually nice to look at instead of dreading it like some locals.

In summary though I can't really say which one is better. They both have good and part parts. Variety is the spice of life. I think it's good to experience a few different places, and they both would be on my list.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM

236 posts, read 479,185 times
Quote:
ultimately that is up to you I suppose.

Colorado I would imagine for myself to be better than Florida just from reading thru these posts.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Is Monument at a high elevation? Are all homes on large lots in monument? I am heading to Boulder from Dallas and planning to drive and stop along the way is this the place to stop either coming or going or where along the route would one recommend?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Monument is about 7000-7500 feet in elevation. From Monument to Boulder is about 90 minutes of driving up I-25 to Hwy 36 west.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs