Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 PM

13 posts, read 41,330 times

Advertisements

I usually call them filthy swine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 AM

553 posts, read 1,628,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
I hope its not that bad in the Lost Creek Wilderness Area.
It's not. Round Mountain campground near Wilkerson Pass is generally very clean and quiet. Even better, North of Lake George off Tarryall Road are the Spruce Grove and Twin Eagles campgrounds, both of which are very nice, and both of which have trail heads back into the Lost Creek Wilderness area. Get more than 100 yards away from a road, and you'll find the wilderness to be beautiful, quiet, and largely unspoiled.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 AM

18,139 posts, read 25,671,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbrian View Post
I usually call them filthy swine.
It is maddening to see this going in our mountains and forests. I'll go one better. A couple months ago I had company come in from Omaha. I took them to the Grand Canyon. We get to maybe the third overlook, where there is a visitors center, a lookout tower, and a small store for selling books. Walking along the guard rail and I stumble across several good size rocks that are all marked up with felt tip markers; with "Ann and Jerry was here 7/8/09", "Ann loves Jerry", etc., etc.

I just about blew my stack when I saw all this stuff as the day we visited was the 9th. Got a hold of a park employee, took him to the spot, and he nonchalantly said "We'll take care of it." With a glum look on his face, he said to me, "We get calls on this everyday. It gets worse by the year."

Old 09-11-2009, 11:57 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,104,498 times
I agree, people now have little regard for each other let alone things that are "public". I wonder if their homes are as filthy as their campsites? RP

Old 09-11-2009, 01:20 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,152,582 times
Not to get all biblical on you, but look up Revelation 11:18 if you can.

I always thought last part about how God will 'bring to ruin those ruining the earth' applied directly to blatant litterbugs, among others.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,343,685 times
FYI, Rampart Range has been closed for over a month now.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:20 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,441,169 times
The shooting range or the road? I did hear that Mt Herman was partially closed for repairs: http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...rman-road.html

Old 09-12-2009, 08:41 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,343,685 times
The shooting range, after some dumb ass accicently shot and killed his friend while clearing his weapon. Granted accidents happen and that alone shouldn't have closed it, afterall we don't close the arkansas river when people die during dangerous whitewater rafting, however, That place wasn't a shooting range.

It was a garbage dump, with no supervison. THe USFS was right to close it. Granted, that's one less public range we have now, and it will probably drive people into the forests now.

Oh and disregard my previous statement about "Accidents" That shooting was neglicence pure and simple. If either one of them were observing even the most basic of firearm saftey rules (I.E., always make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction) then he would still be alive today.

Its morons like that that give us good sportsman a bad name. BTW, on april 13th, I and fellow NRA members volunteered to have a clean up day at Rampart. I swear to god, we filled 4 40 yard roll offs with nothing but shotgun shells. It looked good. 2 weeks later, you couldn't even tell we had been there.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:29 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,104,498 times
Good news. I found that the Rocky Mountain Field Institute has volunteer trail clean up days. I will participate. If you are interested see Home - rmfi.org. There was an ad in the COS Independant with rmfi@rmfi.org and 471-7736 for contact information. RP

Old 10-17-2009, 02:21 PM

17 posts, read 55,480 times
Default such disrespect

It is sad to hear of the disrespect people have for nature. Even here in Hawaii people can be such idiots.

One of our beaches here, Bellows Beach, was closed for about a month due to people dumping car batteries and the like, and just basically being disrespectful to the land. It makes me wonder how people can be somewhere so beautiful (whether it be Hawaii or Colorado) and just trash it with no regard. What was that post I was reading about people writing on rocks with Sharpies?? (I think that was the Grand Canyon?..) Just disgusting! Graffiti has been getting kind of bad here as well.

I just don't understand it. So very sad.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs