U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:51 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,121,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
My bad - it's been so long since I've been single/childless I've forgotten that some out there can still make a 2 hour drive without at least one 15 minute stop. I tend to drive pretty conservatively in the mountains, at posted speeds, which makes the trip to Breck a 2 hour 15 minute drive and the trip to Monarch a 2 hour 20 minute drive, each with at least one 15 minute stop for spouse/kids. That's 5 hours driving for one day of skiing, making it almost a necessity to rent a hotel room or condo. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to have at least one realistic day-trip option within an hour or even 90 minutes, making the round-trip somewhat doable in a day, which it currently is not for most families with kids. That makes skiing even more of an expensive, logistical hassle than it already is and why I've waited until this year when my kids are over age 8 to make the investment of time/money. Had there been the equivalent to an Eldora for Boulder around here, I'd have had them going as 4-5 year olds. Ultimately, not a huge deal, just an observation that Northern New Mexico somehow finds a way to have many different accessible options 200 miles south of us with a fraction of our population base.
There's always Loveland and Ski Cooper. Both are great for kids and relatively inexpensive. Yeah, you're still looking at a 2 hour drive, but I used to make a day trip out of both places when my kids were young. I too wish there was something closer though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 03:20 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,165,638 times
So this isn't going to happen? I was actually thinking this would be closer to me from Denver but it's like the same distance to Keystone for me

Old 12-07-2011, 05:34 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,267,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
So this isn't going to happen? I was actually thinking this would be closer to me from Denver but it's like the same distance to Keystone for me
No way-- it's a pipe dream.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 PM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Here's the latest update. Seems the man behind this effort has passed away and although others are interested in making it happen, the story reads like a soap opera and IMO it will be a rather long time before skiing returns to the mountain, if ever.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,523,014 times
"The lifts were torn out"

To bad,I was on the installation crew that installed the POMA chair lift back in the early 80's
It was the first Alpha drive in the usa.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,621,463 times
No water rights and snow making, not going to happen.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,523,014 times
I agree it's not going to be a ski hill again any time soon.

water is negotiable

wells can be drilled ponds and water tanks can be built.
It become less of a issue if you don't get caught up in the race to be open first.
21ft a year is sufficient.

"But Carter claimed his 320-acre property received 12 feet of snow each year. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
No water rights and snow making, not going to happen.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,621,463 times
Update.
Pikes Peak Courier View: News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs