Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:14 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,918 times

Advertisements

I've been vacationing in Colorado over the past 20 years, and have relatives who live in Loveland, CO. I am a Java/J2EE developer, and have wanted to move to Colorado for lifestyle reasons from Des Moines, IA. It has been a while since I've been to COS, but it seems like a nice community.

I have some general job questions, because now may not be a great time to be switching I have some time to wait for market improvements.

When working for defense contractors, what is the turnover rate for employees and is it a bit shaky due to government contracts being lost, etc? What is involved with obtaining a security clearance, as I see that mentioned in some postings.

I am fortunate to have a job now and stability, however I'd like to find something like that in COS and have the best of both worlds. I don't plan on moving unless the timing is right in the next couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 02:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
A security clearance is becoming a must for government and govt contracting positions. It has been taking about a year to get a clearance approved typically. If you have a job with some likelihood of retention, I'd hold onto it. The IT job market is almost certainly going to get worse, not better. IMHO now is not the time for anyone with a somewhat stable job to make a move.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,731 times
It never hurts to look but this was announced yesterday Springs-based software firm wins $300 million contract, plans to hire 100 | company, contract, software - Top Stories - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

I don't know much about the process of a security clearance but surely most companies have that information on their websites or you can probably contact a recruiter.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:01 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
What is involved with obtaining a security clearance, as I see that mentioned in some postings.
Well, one does not just go and get a security clearance. The only way you can get one is if your job requires it. So where does that leave people who do not already posses one?

Here's how it works. You interview for a job that has a security clearance requirement (which most defense contracting jobs do). If you are hired, generally, they give you what's know as an interim clearance. IOW, they let you work on a conditional basis. This is not always the case though and it depends on what level of clearance you need (Secret, Top Secret, etc). During this phase, your investigation is conducted by the government. Depending on the level of clearance you need for the job determines how long the investigation takes. The higher the clearance the more they dig into your background. Some clearances require a polygraph as well. Never, EVER lie to the investigators. Not saying you would, but some folks try to cover up something from their past, get caught and then their job as well as any future consideration for a clearance is gone. Clearances are paid for by the company you are going to be working for.

That last statement is important as companies prefer to hire people who already possess a clearance as it either costs them less or nothing at all to hire. In COS, there are many military retirees or folks who got out before they retired. All ex-military (provided they didn't get booted out) possess a clearance on one level or another. Their clearance will be active, inactive or gone depending on how long they've been out of the military. People with active clearances get hired first followed by the others due to costs to the company.

All that being said, it does NOT mean that a person who does not have a clearance can't get hired into a defense contracting job. If you possess the skills the company is looking for and are otherwise better qualified than a person with a clearance, you can get in. I am a military retiree, so I got on pretty easy. My wife did not have a clearance, yet still got hired with a defense contractor (though she ended up turning it down as she found a job in the commercial sector she preferred). It happens all the time. Just be aware that those not possessing a clearance have an extra hurdle to overcome. Make sure your resume really stands out and during the interview you make it clear why you are so much better than anyone else competing for the position. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:37 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,364,938 times
LMCO Space is laying off 800 people....take that for what it's worth.

Lockheed Martin cutting jobs in Jefferson County - The Denver Post

As defense spending cuts continue, there will be further ramifications. Not to say there isn't still money to be made.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info Fullback, lot of good stuff in there.

I'm not looking to move right now, however I believe now and in the next few years my Java and project skills will still have value in the market. I know tech is a broad term, but my understanding is J2EE/Java is still valued pretty well.

Not to go political, but maybe I should find a "green" company for now, hah. Here there are some large insurers, specifically Wellmark Health, which may have impact depending on health care shakes out. So while things are stable, the future is certainly tough to see. :/

Old 09-11-2009, 05:23 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
IIS Inc does seem like a good option

https://jobs-issinc.icims.com/jobs/1164/job

Quote:
Required Skills:B.S in Computer Science, MIS, or Engineering
Minimum of 4 yrs of Java for applications development
J2EE web services development experience
Excellent interpersonal skills
Security Clearance may be required

Old 09-11-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
IIS Inc does seem like a good option

https://jobs-issinc.icims.com/jobs/1164/job
Now you've done gone and got me itching to get my resume sparkling this weekend, looks like a nice company.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
I got my clearance processed in about 2 weeks. A year seems a bit excessive.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
COS is not an easy place to find a decent paying job for software developers. It's one bright spot is federal/defense/military contracting jobs, but as mentioned many of those require a clearance. In bad times, that makes it difficult. If you're not in that industry already, now is a tough time to break in.

Denver and Boulder areas are probably better bets right now, although working in this industry I'd say anywhere in Colorado is going to be tough. Even Fort Collins/Loveland may have some opportunities for you.

That is to say, if you want to move to the front range of Colorado in a bad economy, I'd say that you are going to have to broaden your range of options to include the entire front range. If COS works out, great, but I wouldn't count on it.

Oh, and as for relocation, I would mention very prominently in all correspondence with companies or recruiters that you plan to self-relocate, and can be available at short notice for an interview. (if needed, jump in your car and drive to Colorado to get to your interview). Unless you have some very special skills, you can forget about anyone offering you a relocation package, so tell them up front that you aren't expecting one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs