U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:22 PM

808 posts, read 1,175,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
As for CMCA, they do not really have gifted programs per se. They are substandard in arts and labs and other experiential education, and do have some accelerated programs, but unless they have changed significantly in the last few years, they do not really teach kids to be independent thinkers, problem solvers, critical thinkers. They are more of a rote memorization school in terms of curriculum and instructional methodology. And as for older kids (grades 7 and 8), they are given 3-5 hours of homework nightly including weekends, and given very little freedom compared to their peers in other schools. That is my opinion/observation as someone who used to teach there.
My spouse taught at TCA for several years and generally shares this opinion. Perhaps its a charter school thing and that's just what some parents want for their kids, which is fine.

Our kids are in early elementary in our neighborhood D12 school and at this point I'm not at all interested in whether they're technically "gifted" but very, VERY interested in whether they're engaged at school (they are), have good attitutes in class (apparently, they do), are developing a love of reading (so far so good), and perhaps most important, are learning how to deal with the daily social challenges they will face each and every day of their lives. I was one of those ridiculously high-achieving students, but I can make a living as an adult almost entirely due to social skills (95%). High IQ is, in my opinion, generally pretty useless without those social skills and critical, independent thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
...snip... High IQ is, in my opinion, generally pretty useless without those social skills and critical, independent thinking.
Speaking of Critical Thinking skills, here's a place that teaches this valuable ability to look at and deal with questions, issues and decisions.

I wish all schools taught Critical Thinking, as championed by the Foundation for Critical Thinking. We need as many people as possible who know HOW to think, for themselves, rather than letting someone tell them WHAT to think. Parents should insist on this for their children, and people don't need a high IQ or bigtime edumacation to get this stuff; critical thinking is a methodical and logical way to think one's way through most anything, and teaches how to spot the logic errors in a stated opinion / argument.

For newbies to the topic of Critical Thinking, it's NOT about being critical and finding fault, nor is "argument" about fighting, it's about forming and having a logical path through a discussion to reach a valid conclusion. I highly recommend it to one and all.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs