U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 AM

59 posts, read 305,210 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im Cheryl from the SF BAy area. My husband just got a job yesterday in the springs and im freaking out! Will I survive a new place? Im 40 something with a teen and we are going to buy a home for the first time. That will be a plus. We are now in a little flat but we are on a lagoon with ducks and a block from the beach. I will miss the bay / ocean!

Any others from the ocean or SF Bay?

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 10:20 AM

132 posts, read 602,663 times
Lived 25 years in Virginia Beach, VA, 20 years in Silicon Valley, 3 years in Bellevue, WA, 3.5 years in Colorado, and here and there with the USAF. I miss fresh live seafood, and large bodies of water. I liked Bellevue because it was a nice balance of access to the Water and the Mountains. We just got tired of the cloudy days and bad traffic in the Seattle area.

The Bay Area has some nice weather, but it just felt too crowded and expensive. I got tired of traveling on busy freeways to go to the ski areas, or fishing, or camping. The Sunday drive back to the Bay Area from the Mountains was totally nuts.

Water is a big issue here. You won't find a lot of areas that have lakes and ponds for your house to back up to (where in Virginia Beach those places are everywhere). If you are not a mountain person, but instead are a beach bum :-), you will probably miss the bodies of water. But it depends on what you want. Some people like to fish and Colorado has excellent places for that activity. 4-Wheeling is fun out here. Do you like walking mountain trails? It's like everything else in life, there are tradeoffs.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:00 AM

4,328 posts, read 4,350,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
Hi, Im Cheryl from the SF BAy area. My husband just got a job yesterday in the springs and im freaking out! Will I survive a new place? Im 40 something with a teen and we are going to buy a home for the first time. That will be a plus. We are now in a little flat but we are on a lagoon with ducks and a block from the beach. I will miss the bay / ocean!

Any others from the ocean or SF Bay?

Cheryl
I used to live in Santa Clara in the early 70s, and I thought it was too crowded then! How you adapt depends on your priorities. The Bay Area has perfect weather. That's it. But if it is the only place you've ever lived, you might miss it.

Colorado Springs has nice weather from mid-April until about early November. But it is much more affordable, and all of the big city activities are available in Denver, 55 minutes from the north end of the Springs.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:11 PM

59 posts, read 305,210 times
Thanks both of you I do love the mountains as well. I grew up going to our Calif mountains and I agree that the traffic on a Sunday evening is not worth a weekend trip.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:37 PM

60 posts, read 286,216 times
Smile You'll love it here!!!

You'll love it here, we moved from Huntington Beach 3 years ago and we don't miss the congestion and rude people, we haven't regretted it once. You have to remember there is an airport here and CA in 2 hours away. We do miss the ocean a little but even when we lived there we may have only gone to it a couple times a year, we also miss the good seafood as well.

Make sure you take a trip out here and contact a good realtor that knows the area. You can go on gazett.com and request a relocation guide, once to do that you'll get emails from realtors that will help you. We ended up on the north end of in an area called Briargate, this area is much newer and the homes are more modern. You have a teen, you have to consider good schools, and Briargate has district 20 schools which are some of the best in COS. There are many nice places to see and do. We really hated weekends in OC because everywhere you went there were 100,000 other people there too! Here you can drive 20 minutes in any direction and basically be out of town in some really nice country. The one thing you need to get used to is the snow, but it only lasts a few months and usually the winters aren't too bad, this year was the worst I have seen (we had a couple blizzards), even people that have been here a long time said it was unusual. If you live in the Bay area you know what prices are on your homes, you come here with that kind of cash you'll get a lot of house for the money. We had a place in H.B. that was 1300 sqft and now we live in a house 3X's that size (4500sqft). Give it a good try, you won't regret it. Just make sure you leave the California attitude in CA and slow down a bit.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:38 AM

15 posts, read 76,918 times
Cheryl, you're so lucky! You might not have chosen this move yourself, but what a wonderful place to go. [And how wonderful you're not moving from CO Springs to SF. We lived in Oakland (moved just days before the quake in 1989) and as you can imagine, there's no comparison.]

When we were growing up we'd spend our summers and many Easter breaks with the relatives in CO, and even though there's been a lot of development (as everywhere) it's still beautiful. I love how so many people have basements (we don't in CA) and how pine trees and quakies and snow-covered mountains can transform a simple drive into a grand tour.

Be tolerant of the natives; my poor old relatives who were born and raised back there feel beleaguered. "City folks" (especially Texans, for some reason) come to their paradise and change the rules and clog the roads and drive the prices up so that locals don't feel at home in the place of their birth. We were at a barbecue last summer and some retiree from Baltimore tells me, "I've made a study of the area, ask me anything you wanna know." I told him my great-grandfather homesteaded there at the turn of the century, and the farm is still in the family. He says, "Huh? Couldn't be, I never heard of him!" That's the kind of arrogance that hurts their feelings! They are extremely kind and welcoming; they just don't want things to become what they call "New Yorky." They are educated; they have travelled; most of the women are school teachers or work for the county while the men struggle to farm and not give in to "devilopers." So if anyone seems a bit cold to a former San Franciscan, just give him or her time to get to know you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs