U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:56 AM

59 posts, read 305,190 times

Advertisements

AH..I do hope you can visit again!! I am glad I will be there for six months before I have to make a major decision on a move.

Cheryl
[cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-06-2007 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Site owner does not allow links to competing sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 11:11 PM

17 posts, read 71,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Oh, two more things that you've got to worry about our altitude: it takes forever to boil water and you'll get a heart attack trying to open Pillsbury biscuits. They explode here. (insert smiley face)
LOL! Is there a trick to it? I've got a lot to learn!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 AM

22 posts, read 70,777 times
Hey aussielover,
I am in the same neck of the woods as you are (sort of, I live in NP/TO). We have lived here our entire married life (15 years) since graduating from college. We LOVE the Conejo Valley but it is getting harder and harder to stay. Hubby is a local middle school teacher and, luckily, we bought our home (a fixer) 5 years ago, just before prices skyrocketed insanely around here. We also have 4 kids and as they get older their activities are just becoming more and more expensive and it is killing us! I am a SAHM so we are barely making it -- can't save much and can't do any of the fun extras and vacations many of our better-off (or more in debt) friends do.

Anyway, CS is my longtime dream and we visited for a few days last summer. We too had a similar experience in finding that the homes we really liked were not as "inexpensive" as we had hoped them to be. This is because we would really like to pay for one outright and be debt-free. We also want something we don't have to fix up (BTDT now 2 times here and have had enough LOL). I have seriously had to revise my expectations from our own (brief I know) experience and from the many "realistic" posts on this great forum.

We'd be leaving a great church, a secure job for dh, the kids' school (which they love), many friends, the great weather, the beach (which I love), and family in San Diego and Lompoc. As with many other CA posters here, I am scared witless about the snow/ice and driving in it. I am also a cold weather wimp! Also, as a teacher from out-of-state, we really wonder whether dh has any realistic chance of finding a job in CS (being from CA).

BUT I also am so drawn to CS for the idea of NO DEBT (or a lot less than what we have now), a hopefully nicer home with more space, less traffic, a place where being truly middle class is more normal, a place where my kids could actually afford to live when they move out, the amount of sunny days, and the 4 seasons -- I am embarrassed to admit my kids have never even seen snow! Of course, there are all the other great things others have mentioned (scenery, recreation, etc.). I am also very encouraged by the number of transplants who really love it there and would never come back. Lastly, I just cannot believe that the traffic and crowds in our area and socal can get any better -- it has only become worse and worse and worse.

aussielover (and other socal people who know our area), I ask you -- Are we crazy to want to leave the Conejo Valley? We do have a nice life that we could probably survive ok if we really kept our budget in check forever. We have never actually experienced any of the crazy stuff we hear about LA but frankly I try to never go there if possible. I am just right on the edge of "should we or shouldn't we" constantly and it's beginning to drive me crazy. What do you think?

THANKS to anyone who stuck with this long-winded post!

p.s. Also, I am with you on the privacy thing. Are fences not ok in CS? I know I saw them in the CS subdivisions, but what about farther out like Black Forest and Monument? I am afraid that wanting one there might bring up accusations of "californicating." Anyone from CO, please let me know about this topic.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:26 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,136,552 times
Quote:
p.s. Also, I am with you on the privacy thing. Are fences not ok in CS? I know I saw them in the CS subdivisions, but what about farther out like Black Forest and Monument? I am afraid that wanting one there might bring up accusations of "californicating." Anyone from CO, please let me know about this topic.
Most subdivisions in COS are ok with fences. The use of fences is governed by the local HOA's. We are in Monument and our's only allows split rail. The lots are at least half acre and the neighborhood is much nicer for it. Kinda like living in a park . We have a dog and installed an 'invisible fence'. It works amazingly well.
It took us a couple of years to decide to move. I understand the house-hunting dilema. We could've bought the equivalent home here for less than 200k. But for 100k more we were able to buy a much larger house w/3 car garage(very important), in a beautiful area that would just be a dream in SoCal. You get so much more for your money here.
The cold weather is something to really consider. We have always lived in the southwest and were used to warm winters. I don't mind the weather here, but it will be an adjustment for you. I'm about to go outside and blow a path to get my truck out of the garage . We got a foot of snow last night! May
7th and I'm removing snow. The Springs is lower and I don't think they get nearly as much as we do. But we like the pines and larger lots, so we'll put up with more snow.
Good Luck

Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,443,565 times
vfrpilot,
What is the drive time from monument to downtown CS?

We had a 1/2 acre in PA with invisable fencing for the dog and loved it!! Here in VA we have a wood fence but the houses are literally stacked on each other!

I had never really considered monument but you really have my intrest peaked! (I'm an old native so the snow doesn't bother me, if i can get LAND)
But... I thought Monument would be too far north to commute. Also that section of I-25 between monument and casle rock was known for it's road closes cause of blow over snow. Still a problem?? (I know this year was a bad one!!) Do you get the wind? My BIL lives east of 25 and south of monument and the wind!! (OMG it's bad) they have to dig out all the time during the winter (even when no new snow has fallen)

And lastly... what is the zip of your area. I would love to find a place 1/2-1acre 3 car garage, 4 bed 3full baths(3 girls...we need bathrooms!!)
We too would like to $350-375k but could push to $400 if the place was perfect. (we are losing most of our equity here due to the drop in the market!!)
Is there any new bulding going on?
My kids all swim and enjoy the summer swim teams (community pool a big plus) and my oldest is a tennis player. Any facilites in monument?

Thanks so much for your time and info...

(keeping fingers crossed that the job in CS or FT collins are ours!!!)

Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 PM

17 posts, read 71,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto4 View Post
Hey aussielover,
his is because we would really like to pay for one outright and be debt-free. We also want something we don't have to fix up (BTDT now 2 times here and have had enough LOL). I have seriously had to revise my expectations from our own (brief I know) experience and from the many "realistic" posts on this great foruTm... BUT I also am so drawn to CS for the idea of NO DEBT (or a lot less than what we have now), a hopefully nicer home with more space, less traffic, a place where being truly middle class is more normal, a place where my kids could actually afford to live when they move out,
This is our fantasy too, to be able to pay cash for a house from the equity built up on our own home. I realize that would be possible, but then we would end up with an older house that we have to fix up again just like the one we just finished fixing up out here. I am a SAHM too, and want to stay that way! We managed to survive out here in SoCal on my husband's income, so I know we can do it there even more so. The apartments are so much more affordable in CS that my daughter could afford to live on her own, she can't do that here!

Quote:
aussielover (and other socal people who know our area), I ask you -- Are we crazy to want to leave the Conejo Valley? We do have a nice life that we could probably survive ok if we really kept our budget in check forever. We have never actually experienced any of the crazy stuff we hear about LA but frankly I try to never go there if possible. I am just right on the edge of "should we or shouldn't we" constantly and it's beginning to drive me crazy. What do you think?

I will have a hard time leaving this area...very hard. I love it here. I love that here in Simi it is safe, beautiful and hardly any traffic. BUT, and that's a big but, I know we can't stay here forever. My youngest is just starting high school next year, so I know that this would be a good time to move.

Most of the houses that we looked at in CS were so much nicer and larger than what I am living in now. Even if we bought a house built in the 80's it will be 20 years newer than what we have now, and double in size. I love that I can have a basement for a pool table and rec area for the kids!

I guess I've already accepted that we will be moving out there, even my kids have. So, better now than later!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I'm about to go outside and blow a path to get my truck out of the garage . We got a foot of snow last night! May
7th and I'm removing snow. The Springs is lower and I don't think they get nearly as much as we do. But we like the pines and larger lots, so we'll put up with more snow.
Good Luck
Yikes, a foot of snow in May. Wow, I guess that will be an adjustment! I would tend to want the pines and space more, too, so I guess that's what we'd have to consider as well. Thanks for the info on the fences.

aussielover, I am with you on all those points! I also think it will eventually be inevitable for us to move somewhere else for me to continue being a SAHM. Thanks for the input!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
AussieLover,

For the sake of your kid entering high school. This is my gut feeling from my experiences growing up in the the

San Fernando Valley (I went to Chaminade College Prep; Canoga Park High School sucks), living in the Conejo

Valley, and from having long term socializations with friends from Simi.

I would consider both of the school districts below to have high schools' performance levels to be near the

equivalent of Royal, Simi, Westlake, Moorpark, Thousand Oaks, and Newbury Park.

Most importantly, the kids here in these school districts seem to be more wholesome, more well rounded, and just

plain friendlier than the kids back in SoCal. Less materialism? Less peer pressure?

I know Simi. There is no question in my mind that you will appreciate the areas I am describing.

In D20 (North Colorado Springs) You will have (from their website)
Air Academy High School
Aspen Valley High School
Liberty High School
Pine Creek High School
Rampart High School
The Classical Academy 7-12

In D38 (Monument): You will have Lewis Palmer and Palmer Ridge (new high school opening September 2008).

D20 is the second largest school district in the Colorado Springs area. Many of its schools have an excellent

reputation.

D38 is a smaller school district. Many of its schools have an excellent reputation.

D20 is more of a traditional, planned, developed area in the far north end of Colorado Springs. Think about Simi, Moorpark and Thousand Oaks.

D38 is an "exoburb-rural" area a few miles north of D20. Think about Thousand Oaks, Somis, Westlake, extreme north Moorpark, and the Santa Rosa Valley.

You might want to check out my test score data I submitted to this forum about a month ago.

D38 is in the process of building its new high school near the intersection of I-25 and County Line Road (El Paso

County/Douglas County).

Both of these school districts have (from my review of the Gazette) excellent sports programs. (OK, that is nice but

what about acads?)

Both of these school districts boast high college entrance success, SAT scores, and ACT scores. I have verified

this information.

(And it is worth mentioning) Cheyenne D12 is a school district located in the west central Colorado Springs area.

Many of its schools have an excellent reputation.

We researched this to the Nth degree. We went into "Analysis Paralysis".

Bottom Line: My kids would have attended Westlake HS. Great School. Killer acads. Killer sports. Killer

demographics. The academic performance of the D38 high schools is more than equivalent. (Check the data).There

is a sum total plus advantage for them to attend either Palmer Ridge (predictably) or Lewis-Palmer high schools. Our

kids will benefit.

It took a lot for us to leave our elderly parents in SoCal so we could have a better life here in Colorado. When

something bad happens, we know we're only a two hour flight away.

Charles

Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Yikes, a foot of snow in May. Wow, I guess that will be an adjustment!...
Relax, mine is all gone now. I had 4 inches of wet stuff here in Briargate / Pine Creek. Streets were wet this morning, snow on lawn, that was it. May be some left on the lawn up where VFRPilot is a few miles north of me. You will adjust okay, and once you get comfortable with it, then it's just another day in Colorado, which you're gonna love.

s/Mike

Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Charles, that is a great post! My kids are still in elementary but I will save that info for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Relax, mine is all gone now. I had 4 inches of wet stuff here in Briargate / Pine Creek. Streets were wet this morning, snow on lawn, that was it. May be some left on the lawn up where VFRPilot is a few miles north of me. You will adjust okay, and once you get comfortable with it, then it's just another day in Colorado, which you're gonna love.

s/Mike
I know, I know -- someday I'll look back and wonder what I was so worried about! Thanks again, Mike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs