U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:45 PM

18 posts, read 31,428 times

Advertisements

I've never had a problem. I do not have children either so I'm thinking it might affect those who interact more in that setting? What I have found is the culture is very transient and it seems aloofness is common. It's not that folks aren't interested in getting to know you and your beliefs, but it's not like the Hoosier hospitality I'm used too. It might have something to do with the history of COS as well. Check out the Pioneer museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 AM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Now that's a new one for me - 'Hoosier Hospitality' - heard of southern hospitality, but not that one.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 AM

553 posts, read 1,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've only been here 3 weeks...and about to settle on a house next week...but as I've wandered around the city I've yet to sense any overt fundamentalism. And, as someone else pointed out, I am similarly from Virginia (albeit the more liberal suburbs of D.C.), and I would say that it was probably a tad more obvious there. This just feels like a sort of normal place and I find people extremely friendly and polite here.
I've been here for over 15 years.....and fully agree.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 PM

18 posts, read 31,428 times
to otowi: there are a lot of hidden gems in indy. EUCHRE!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Euchre? A card game?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 PM

18,888 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Today while I was waiting to close on my townhouse, four of us were sitting around the table (all "real estate people except for me), and this very topic came up. Clearly these folks are church-goers, but they all agreed that, in general, COSpringers who are very religious are also usually not aggressive or unpleasant about it. They were quite interested that I had seen several posts about the topic, and their view was that Coloradans are too laid back to get aggressive, but that press accounts of certain churches give the wrong impression.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:47 PM

7 posts, read 17,638 times
Default So Non-Religious People Won't Feel Uncomfortable in COS?

I was born and raised in California (San Fernando Valley) and now live in New Mexico. As much as I like the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area, it's so different from what I'm used to I get homesick. I'm thinking that Colorado might have a little more vibrancy and sophistication, as well as better services, but I can't afford Denver (and definitely can't afford to go home to CA).

I was considering Pueblo because COS sounds so ultra-conservative, and fundamentalist that I've been concerned I won't fit in. I don't go to church. I believe in honoring others the way I would want them to honor me and that's that, no dogma, no going to Hell, no I-thank-Jesus-for-everything-I do stuff. My apologies, it's just that I've known so many Christians who acted in anything other that a Christian manner and used the label to excuse bad behavior, that I find the whole thing really off-putting.

I've been reading on these boards that Pueblo is a high crime area, so it sounds like that's out now. What percentage of liberals would you say live in Colorado Springs? I'm not a liberal, or a conservative, I just like balance.

Anyway, what I'm searching for is a community where I won't feel lonely because everyone is a star-bellied Sneetch and I'm not. Where I won't have to constantly hear that pathetic old joke about the "land of fruits and nuts," should I dare to mention I grew up in L.A.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:02 PM

18,888 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanceB View Post

I was considering Pueblo because COS sounds so ultra-conservative, and fundamentalist that I've been concerned I won't fit in. I don't go to church. I believe in honoring others the way I would want them to honor me and that's that, no dogma, no going to Hell, no I-thank-Jesus-for-everything-I do stuff. My apologies, it's just that I've known so many Christians who acted in anything other that a Christian manner and used the label to excuse bad behavior, that I find the whole thing really off-putting.
I've only been here a month, but I just don't see the conservative fundamentalist outward behavior that you are worried about. hey, I'm a middle of the road Democrat and a mix of Buddhist and Christian. I feel fine here. I see more mixed marriages than I would have expected. I see goth kids at the mall. I see rednecks with their beat up pickup trucks. I see this as a melding pot...and a fairly welcoming one.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 17,638 times
Thank you, Phetaroi. That sounds more promising than I thought. Will check out COS next time I head north.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:56 PM

44 posts, read 68,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
I have heard that if you are not a fundamentalist Christian then you will not get along in the springs? My family is of Catholic faith and we go to a liberal Catholic church. How religious is this city? Does it affect the average resident? or do people keep their religious practices private?
Oh please. I'm not a practicing person of any religion and I get along fine others in the Springs. I'm sure the Fundi's are going to ask you what church you belong to before they talk to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs