U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2007, 11:54 AM

59 posts, read 305,248 times

Advertisements

I have heard that if you are not a fundamentalist Christian then you will not get along in the springs? My family is of Catholic faith and we go to a liberal Catholic church. How religious is this city? Does it affect the average resident? or do people keep their religious practices private?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 02:22 PM

353 posts, read 353,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
I have heard that if you are not a fundamentalist Christian then you will not get along in the springs? My family is of Catholic faith and we go to a liberal Catholic church. How religious is this city? Does it affect the average resident? or do people keep their religious practices private?
What you have heard is mostly untrue. Colorado Springs was recently ranked the third most conservative city in America and it's home to one of the highest veteran and evangelical populations in the county--in fact, Focus on the Family as well as a myriad other evangelical organizations is hubbed there. With that said, there are plenty of folks who are not evangelical and they have a great time in COS. It is a lovely town with fine people and I think you'll find the religious impulse in the city to actually make civil society run a little smoother.

In fact, there is a major, vibrant Catholic community in the Springs. In Denver lies one of the country's most famous archbishops--Charles Chaput--who is very involved in the Colorado Catholic community and political concerns like abortion, marriage, and immigration.

The Springs' bishop is Michael Sheridan, who made a lot of news a few years back by advocating denial of communion to John Kerry voters (what few there were here

So, though there are Catholics, they are conservative--just like everyone else in the area. It really depends on your personality and political tolerance level. Some liberals would come here and go insane--others just take a laid back approach and take in the lovely scenery and city and enjoy their time. You won't be ostracized or anything. You probably can even get away with putting a Hillary sign up in your neighborhood. You'll get some dirty looks, maybe, but mostly just some good-natured joshing.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:15 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Rawlings has it correct. I live here in COL SPGS and have not seen or experienced anything at all that is off-putting. People here have strong faith and live it, but they do not hold revivals in the median of I-25 and drag people out of cars for forced baptisings in Fountain Creek. I saw more overt religion back in VA, with many farms having 3 large crosses in their fields by the highways, nothing like that here. We had the Mormons come to our door, once. Back in VA it was regular. Despite the public face of James Dobson and Focus on the Family, the regular people of faith here honor the separation of church and state with but few exceptions (I'm thinking of the D-11 school board recall, but that is long over and done with). People here do not make a show of being religious nor try to get you into their church.

I've been to Catholic churches with a buddy here and they were indeed very nice welcoming places. The Priest stood there afterwards and talked at length with a Jewish couple who were comparing philosophies and rituals.

There is a lot in here on religion, use the Search this Forum tool with key words like religion, evangelicals, church, churches, faith. Also, click the radio button "search posts" so that you get the exact post, not the thread that has 150 posts in it (leaving you to peruse all 150 to find the keywords).

s/Mike from back east

Old 05-06-2007, 09:37 AM

4,330 posts, read 4,357,227 times
Quote:
Most of the enthusiastically religious folks seem to keep to themselves. It makes them comfortable, like a heard of cattle. I also think that's why they're here.

During my 30 years here, the only problem I ran into was my children sometimes being told by their religious classmates that they would burn in Hell if they did not belong to the correct church. Even my children quickly figured out how silly was that claim.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:14 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,743,154 times
I'm a "theist", meaning I have no known religion...my family is very much into fundementalist churches...

The only grief I get is when I mess up in my life (as a 38 year old, haha) and that's just from my family.

I have several friends here in the C Springs area that are pagan, gay/lesbian, atheists, etc... all feel fine living here. They may get a bit of grief but overall, it's a nice place to live.

I think C Springs has a bad name because of it's conservative nature with the military being here. Yes, there was a point where Christians flocked (haha) to C Springs and surrounding areas because property taxes were low. Yes I live less than five minutes from Focus On the Family. But overall, C Springs is pretty tolerant (well kinda) of all people of all sorts.

Manitou Springs is the Boulder of the area (lots of left wing liberals - hey I am a libertarian so I think they are as nutty as the Repubs). But overall, as long as you don't harm other people, most are pretty tolerant of other people around here. We kind of have to be as the military bring people in and ship them out.

The only suck part I have is when I become friends with people and then they are shipped to another location in the US or overseas - because of the military. Outside of that, C Springs is a pretty good community, especially for families. This is a very good community to raise a child in.

I was born and raised here with a stint in Grand Junction (which I hope to move back to someday) and a stint in Denver. C Springs is a decent place despite it's rumored history. There are a lot of good people here and that includes Christians that are pretty tolerant of other people's "ungodly" ways.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,098 times
Default liberal catholic church?

Quote:
Calif - not sure I understand you.. do you mean "liberal catholic church" as in a 'Roman Catholic' church which is 'liberal' or the denomination "Liberal Catholic Church?" I know there is a small "Liberal Catholic Church" chapel on Las Vegas st here in town that meets in an office building but the people there were very nice to us.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:51 PM

641 posts, read 1,955,045 times
Agree with the previous posters on this un'. I think the reputation of being chock full o' overzealous Christian folk is a bit over stated.

I respect Christian beliefs, but don't consider myself spiritual... and in my day-to-day life, it's never been an issue.

There are a lot of churches in town, folks might knock on your door occassionally, asking you to attend their church. That doesn't really ever bother me. It's the door-to-door salesman that offend me more than anyone else! Roofers, painters, cable guys, carpet cleaners, landscapers, and kids looking to make a fast buck.......it never ends!!

I always kinda' hope that the more spiritual the town gets....no matter what religion they choose, maybe the dang crime with go down. It's probably not the evangelical Christian or the Buddhist holding up the liquor store or stealing cars.

Besides, I always think there's a weird dichotomy in this city. If it's as obesessively conservative and Christian as it's rumored to be, why is it that there seems to be no shortage of Asian massage parlors, X-rated video stores, strip joints, smoke shops, street crime, and now....marijuana outlets.

If the town is overly conservative and spiritual, it also seems to have a "live and let live" vibe.......or a helluva blind eye.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 AM

18,895 posts, read 8,873,507 times
I've only been here 3 weeks...and about to settle on a house next week...but as I've wandered around the city I've yet to sense any overt fundamentalism. And, as someone else pointed out, I am similarly from Virginia (albeit the more liberal suburbs of D.C.), and I would say that it was probably a tad more obvious there. This just feels like a sort of normal place and I find people extremely friendly and polite here.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've only been here 3 weeks...and about to settle on a house next week...but as I've wandered around the city I've yet to sense any overt fundamentalism. And, as someone else pointed out, I am similarly from Virginia (albeit the more liberal suburbs of D.C.), and I would say that it was probably a tad more obvious there. This just feels like a sort of normal place and I find people extremely friendly and polite here.
Ditto. Came here from Fairfax County VA in 2005 and have seen LESS religious activity here. In BOTH places we have the Mormon lads visiting about once a year, same for the ladies selling The Watch Tower. Back in VA, we saw numerous farms with three crosses in the field, I've seen NONE of that here. COLO SPGS gets its reputation because it's the HQ for a number of active fundamentalist groups, but the members of those groups are all over the nation, not cloistered here. That's the big myth about COLO SPGS we have to repeatedly dispel in these forums. Religion is alive and well and vibrant here in COLO SPGS, but this isn't what some people make it out to be. This is one of the nicest cities in which to live.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 PM

18,895 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Good points, Mike.

I think part of the friendliness here, as well as a comparatively favorable crime rate, may in fact be due to the Christian reputation of the community. I'm more than happy to live in a generally Christian community, as long as I personally am not proselytized constantly over it. And when I have been in the past in other places, I simply bluntly tell them that I have my own belief system which is none of their business and please leave me alone. I have no desire to go around debating Christianity or other religions with people I meet unless it is within an environment that is healthy and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs