U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 06:11 PM

20,349 posts, read 37,885,022 times

Advertisements

Went to Steak and Shake near Chapel Hills Mall and found it far better place for a burger than most other fast food places. Burgers come in various sizes but the single patty (about 3oz) is enough for me these days along with the fries. We sat at the counter and watched the guys cook the burgers. Service was fine and the total cost was quite low.

Have been to Hacienda on N.Nevada in the Costco shopping area and had the best tasting Chile Rellenos 've had in a long time. Instead of the usual gooey pinkish mud pie of refried beans their offering was like baked beans in consistency and had a great flavor. You get a choice of 16 sauces for your entree and my pork green chile sauce was excellent. The sauces range from mild to quite spicy. The place is really nice and does a tremendous business, especially with its outdoor seating on two levels and view of the Front Range / Pikes Peak. Will definitely go back.

Maynerd, agree about Amanda's Fonda, tried it twice and wasn't impressed enough to go any more. Mexican food is one of those things where many schools of thought exist about what's good or "authentic" and some of those people will bitterly disagree on each other's faves.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 AM

5,016 posts, read 6,713,973 times
I tried the Hacienda twice and was disappointed both times with the food and service - especially the service - I guess I was just unlucky. But we won't be going back.

For my money, the best Mexican restaurant in town is the Carlos Miguel's down by the Cheyenne Conference Resort. I realize there is another one in town (which I haven't tried) - but according to my friends who have, they are owned by different families and the food and service at the one I like is much much better.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:30 AM
gn3

147 posts, read 359,045 times
I thought Hacienda was decent, nothing amazing, but I wouldn't turn down going there. I had great service. I have to disagree with Mike on the chiles rellenos! The chiles are wrapped in this sort of crispy batter thing - more like an egg roll than a traditional chile relleno. I like the traditional style, but there's no accounting for taste. The tamales I had were pretty good, though.

I don't know if anyone's brought it up but I do enjoy Crystal Park Cantina for "fresh mex".

Old 08-10-2013, 12:42 PM

20,349 posts, read 37,885,022 times
Our Carlos Miguel's up here on far north Powers is very good, been once, liked it a LOT and will go back.

Yes, the chile rellenos at Hacienda seemed a lot like egg rolls in appearance and the wrapper, but damn they tasted good to me, and I like the traditional ones too and recall having very good ones La Unica Authentico over in the OCC area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:29 PM

666 posts, read 991,767 times
First meal at the downtown Carlos was really good. Next time I got the veggie taco salad and it was extremely disappointing. The shell was too small, mostly lettuce (yes I know it's called a salad) and way too many mushrooms and hardly any beans. Won't be ordering that again.

Edit: apparently I confused Carlos with Jose muldoons. My bad.

Have to mention Tokyo Joe's again. Cheap, healthy, consistant, and mighty tasty. FYI Beezle, you can order a veggie bowl not on the menu for $5.15 if you're like me and don't like the protein options. (I don't do tofu). I use to do the build your own and not get the protein and pay more. Now I don't have to. Also, I you sign up for their addict club you get buy one get one bowls or extra sushi, things like that. Awesome!

Last edited by allprolab; 08-10-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 12:00 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,932,176 times
My new for me favorite Mexican place is Salsa Brava. Their ceviche is amazing! However, I'm still on the hunt for a traditional sopapilla. Too many places make it too doughy or from bisquick.

I've been to Steak and Shake in other states and they have good hamburgers and great shakes. I'd compare them to a Red Robin.

I'm mourning the loss of Tako on Academy and Dublin. They had very good Japanese food.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 AM

454 posts, read 1,065,658 times
Here are some recent places we have tried:
Salsa brava-just okay but local too me. But after trying it a few times it isn't great.
Steak and Shake-just like Freddy's but cheaper. If you don't mind salty food then check them out. I rather do fresh burgers.
5 Guys-great food but a little pricey. You need to be hungry to eat here
Firehouse Subs-okay, not eventful imo
McAliister's-not bad but just another chain
South Jersey Subs-great cheese steak and a homey place to just hang out and buy local
Lemongrass Bistro-excellent Vietnamese- family owned and operated
The Drive In-new owner who has revamped this place, great burgers and shakes
North End Diner-a greasy spoon place that has great food
Margarita at Pine Creek-not to bad but the prices can be high. We go there on fridays for dinner/movie night where they play a movie outside on a big screen. Kind of cool for the family.
Rudy's Little Hide Away-cheap but great Mexican and super fresh. One of our all time favorite's for 10 years.
Estela's-this place is crap mexican, everything out the can and not impressive at all. It didn't help our wattress was a "tweaker"
Leon Gessi-great local pizza joint that isn't full grease, Can't go wrong here. Then walk behind it and top it of with some ice cream at Bj's Tasty Freeze
La Bella Vita Ristorante-the BEST Italian joint in town. The kick Paravicinis to the curb imo and I have been eating at Paravicinies for a lot of years. Bella Vita menu is always fresh and their specials are amazing. Check them out.
Savelli's-best pizza in Manitou and a great cheese bread
Crystal Park Cantina-absolutely the best Mexican in Manitou. Great location and wonderful service. Worth a try for sure.
Swirl Wine Bar-the food is really good and the whole place is cool chill place to go with the wife. Oh and the choice's of wine are really good for the pirce.
Trinity Brewery-not a bad place, I only liked a few of their beers but their food is worth mentioning. Kind of high on prices but worth a taste considering other brewerys around here are just okay.
Pizzeria Rustica-super trendy but not that good. We got 3 different pizza's to try a few different ones and I have to say I wasn't impressed by any means.
Briar Mart-Middle eastern grocery store that serves food. This place is local secret that is unmatched in quality. Also Sean is super friendly and will take care of your every needs.
Joey's Pizza-great East Coast pizza on the north end of town. Super fast paced but worth it.
New day Cafe-excellent american/mexican breakfast/lunch cafe. Worth the price of admission.
Bj's restaurant and brewery-not bad but not worth going back. Super busy and the food wasn't worth remembering.
McCabe's-excellent food and great selection of beers. Their scotch egg's rock!!!
Carlos Miguel's-the best location is behind the Hatch Cover on S. Nevada Road. The location in Monument is okay but not as great as this one. Excellent service and great place to take some one for a special occasion. And their food is great.

There are more I am sure that I haven't mentioned but these are the one's I can think of right now.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:54 AM

553 posts, read 1,417,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Pizzeria Rustica-super trendy but not that good. We got 3 different pizza's to try a few different ones and I have to say I wasn't impressed by any means.
Surprising. I guess if you're expecting a giant, greasy, pepperoni-laden, dinner for a family, it'd be disappointing. But it's designed to be a mesh between fine dining and pizza, hence the trendiness. Fresh-tossed dough, local ingredients, house-made mozzarella....that kind of stuff. I find it to be a nice change of pace. Great Caprese.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:27 AM

577 posts, read 673,447 times
Speaking of pizza, I really like McGinty's Wood Oven pub in Divide. They have excellent sandwiches too. They are in the little shopping strip where the grocery store is.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM

454 posts, read 1,065,658 times
True, one of ours was super watery from the vegetables not being drain so the pizza turned into a soupy mess.

When I go for a pizza I want it to be homemade with all fresh ingredients but not to the point that I feel like a vegan eating it when it has meat products on it.

It just wasn't the place for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
Surprising. I guess if you're expecting a giant, greasy, pepperoni-laden, dinner for a family, it'd be disappointing. But it's designed to be a mesh between fine dining and pizza, hence the trendiness. Fresh-tossed dough, local ingredients, house-made mozzarella....that kind of stuff. I find it to be a nice change of pace. Great Caprese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs