U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 04:14 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,671,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs2go View Post
Interesting post as most of the springs is all commercial places. Thanks for updating because true family or unique eateries seem severely lacking in this town.

True, That is a drawback of having such a highly transient, transplanted, tourista population base is that everyone feels comfortable with the same eateries as "back home", so chains tend to really thrive here. There area number of decent local places, but you have to hunt them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 06:03 PM

12,658 posts, read 10,746,745 times
Quote:
Interesting post as most of the springs is all commercial places.
Thanks for updating because true family or unique eateries
seem severely lacking in this town.
I would respectfully disagree...and might think you are new to town ?

Oh, wait a minute...do you live East or North of town?
See? I'm Downtown..Heart of any city...I know and have a past with many
restaurant owners!
I didn't say anything...but I know the owners of this new place, The Burrowing Owl.
I do NOT care if they own it...it is GREAT!

Btw, update: they had a nice crowd on Fri for food ....BUT
when people left... it was very slow at 8 pm....now , does it change at 11-2am....I'll
bet?

Burritos are the best so far.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-23-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 05:21 PM

575 posts, read 669,675 times
"The Burrowing Owl", what a strange choice to name a restaurant

Old 08-24-2015, 05:27 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
Have you seen Burrowing Owls? They're fascinating creatures and exhibit some crazy antics. You can find them at places like Big Johnson Reservoir. Around here, they typically live in Prairie Dog towns.

The underground owls of Florida who make burrows instead of living in trees | Daily Mail Online

Old 08-25-2015, 12:13 PM

152 posts, read 213,967 times
Just had the Tuesday lunch special (red curry) at The Thai Mint on Briargate Blvd. near Chapel Hills mall...to die for. Friendly, welcoming and fast service, high quality and perfectly spiced food.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:29 PM

553 posts, read 1,415,278 times
Quote:
Interesting post as most of the springs is all commercial places. Thanks for updating because true family or unique eateries seem severely lacking in this town.
Start with these ten (and, this is without even considering any of the venues at the Broadmoor):
- Brother Luck Street Eats
- Two South Wine Bar
- Blue Star
- Tapateria
- Rabbit Hole
- Briarhurst Manor
- Margarita at Pine Creek
- Paravicini's
- Jake and Telly's
- Springs Orleans

Then, we can discuss the lack of unique restaurants. Brother Luck ALONE raises the bar significantly.

You've just got to get off Powers or Academy Blvd, or you'll never see the genuine, non-franchise, gems.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:21 PM

808 posts, read 1,176,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
True, That is a drawback of having such a highly transient, transplanted, tourista population base is that everyone feels comfortable with the same eateries as "back home", so chains tend to really thrive here. There area number of decent local places, but you have to hunt them out.
You don't have to try especially hard to find lots of better-than-decent local places, you just have to not turn into the vast parking lots on the north and east parts of town surrounded by sprawling new-build housing developments. Everywhere in the country (not just COS) where there are vast parking lots surrounded by sprawling new-build housing development, there is a paucity of all things quirky and local. That makes sense though, right, as people who turn into vast parking lots and choose to live in sprawling new-build housing are not typically looking to patronize quirky, local places. Those people live on streets with trees that are 60-100 years old, and Colorado Springs has plenty of such quirky local places that are really not especially hard to find, if one is inclinded to look. If one is not inclined to look, one won't find, but one should not then go around saying they don't exist, that's just not smart or informed. I can point this out 1000 x 1000 times and yet people will still insist that all of Colorado Springs exists east of Academy and north of Woodmen. I know for a fact that is not true as I avoid that area almost at all costs and stick to the quirky local parts of town with great old trees and lots of interesting cool places to eat. Just had lunch at one today with a friend and he said "where do you find all these places?" Just gotta look my friend, just gotta look and pay attention, the good things in life do not flash in front of your face with a giant neon sign beside acres of parking lots and a Lowe's.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:55 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,671,734 times
Oh, I totally agree with you. Perhaps hunt was not the correct word, look outside the comfort zone may be better way to approach it. I would also concur that there are a % of people who will move here and rarely travel into the more central areas of town unless it is taking I-25 to the airport. I've worked with some people like this over the years and some of them had the perception that things south and west are decrepit and dangerous and not worth the visit. Its too bad because there are a number of quirky local places that are decent to good. Sometimes even great!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:12 AM

12,658 posts, read 10,746,745 times
Has anyone mentioned Duca's...An Italien place near the Hatchcover, Walter's
Maybe someone else can give the street...go down Nevada to E. Cheyenne Mtn Blvd...make a right, I think...there is a nice plaza with manily restaurants, Thai, Mexican...where Chopsticks used to be.

Anyway...you order at the counter...they imported ovens from Italy they cook at something like 850 degrees, takes 9 minutes and you have a thin crusted pizza.
They had to be trained in these ovens.
It is very clean and white, NOT formal dining, haha....people sit with their laptops and relax.
A NY Italian, that went to Italy said it is the closest to Italian pizza ever, she brings everyone there.....maybe $7 for
a Margherita, just cheese....they have wine and beer, a soda dispenser.
Salads looked wonderful and big.

I don't eat simple carbs, so
I only had one small slice to try it and be polite...it was very good, indeed.
The Bianca look very good for $6.25....

Duca’s Neapolitan Pizza

Old 08-28-2015, 11:39 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Default Update on Bella's Bistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Made it to Bella's Bakery and Bistro today, downtown, on Bijou a few steps east of Cascade by the UPS Store, Taste of Jerusalem, etc.

Had her deli sandwich, was awesome good and huge, enough for two. She sliced the turkey fresh while I waited. There's a ton of cookies and pastries to be had, including cannoli, brownies, tarts, muffins, etc.

I hope some of you try it.

NOTE: She closes at 4PM

Update on Bella's Bistro

A friend went there recently and though the name is the same it seems to have new operators and the sandwiches are a far cry from what I described in the earlier posting. Bummer.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs