Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 AM

224 posts, read 732,469 times

Advertisements

I wanted to try that Seafood place, but with two young kids...it's hard to eat fine dining. You can still serve up good seafood and be family friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
Bump.

Fine dining in Colorado Springs took a huge hit this weekend, as Palapa's Surfside closed its doors on Saturday night. Palapa's seafood was so much better than anything else you could get here, it was almost scary, but they never picked up a strong clientele. Some of that I suspect was due to the Powers/Carefree location. For some reason, the entire Powers corridor seems doomed to chain restaurants rather than fine dining. A bigger reason, I suspect, was that the owners never marketed the place. Next to no advertising at all. Many, many people had never heard of it, even 7 months after they opened.

Very sad.
Wow, that blows and I think you're right about the marketing thing. The wife and I went to Texas Roadhouse on Saturday and that was the first time I had seen or even heard of Palapa's. We made plans to go eat there and try it out next week. I guess not now. For seafood, I guess it's back to Red Lobster or Joe's Crabshack....or going to Denver. BTW, how in the world does the Briargate area lose its Joe's? I mean Saltgrass Steakhouse is all good and everything, but I hate having to go all the way down to the Citadel to get some Joe's Crabshack!

Old 08-05-2008, 03:30 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie73 View Post
I wanted to try that Seafood place, but with two young kids...it's hard to eat fine dining. You can still serve up good seafood and be family friendly.
It was a pricey place; wife and I spent $120.00 for dinner for two. Not sure it was located in the right spot for it's creative, adventurous menu and corresponding prices, i.e., didn't seem to be well suited to an area of young families.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:50 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It was a pricey place; wife and I spent $120.00 for dinner for two.
WOW! I think you're right. Being where it was, I assumed it was in the same price range as everything else on Powers!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 AM

553 posts, read 1,635,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
WOW! I think you're right. Being where it was, I assumed it was in the same price range as everything else on Powers!
No. They had a pris fixe menu. An appetizer, a main course, and a dessert for $40. Some dishes had an "upcharge" which could raise that price a bit. Add drinks and a bottle of wine, and it would get pricey in a hurry. Compared to good restaurants downtown, this was reasonably priced for the fare you were getting, but it was certainly not family night at Red Lobster.

I don't understand why the Powers corridor can't support something that's not a chain. Why do all our decent restaurants have to be downtown?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:37 PM

268 posts, read 1,129,791 times
I agree that it would have survived better in Briargate or downtown. I ate there once and it was pretty good. I think the Powers corridor is primarily the AF military guys in the area (Peterson/Schriever-ites). That type of restaraunt doesn't really fit in with people who don't have alot of disposable income and/or little free-time.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Default El Padrino

A new Mexican place, in the commercial corner of North Gate Rd and Voyager Pkwy. A mile east of I-25 at exit 156 (Gleneagle).

I thought the Chile Relleno was the best I've had in a long time. Wife liked her platter too. We'll go back.

Got a good thick HOT salsa for the chips, one that had me coughing and sweating.

Not a fast food joint, but a good sit down eatery. Very reasonable too.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-25-2008 at 07:27 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 01:47 AM

17 posts, read 65,605 times
Just thought I would add my two cents here. The Cliff House is my favorite place to dine; wonderful Chateaubriand and the raspberry soufflé is delicious.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
A new Mexican place, in the commercial corner of North Gate Rd and Voyager Pkwy. A mile east of I-25 at exit 156 (Gleneagle).
There's an old place with the same name in Denver (El Padrino) right off I-70 and Federal (the 4700 block). They have a cartoon "godfather" character as their logo. I wonder if they are related? I've noticed that a lot of the long-standing Mexican places in Denver seem to be branching out to the suburbs and beyond.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:16 AM

252 posts, read 925,843 times
Does anyone know if New South Wales Australian Restaurant is still open? It's off of Corporate Drive by Zio's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs