U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:35 AM

5 posts, read 14,430 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Colorado Springs from Florida around the end of this month or the beginning of next. Me and my parents are going to move to an apartment complex called Windtree. This was kind of a sudden decision for us and due to my parents working we can't go up to Colorado Springs to check the apartments out. We did our research though and Windtree seems to be the perfect place. I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me a little about Windtree. How the people are, how the place is kept and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:55 AM

20,210 posts, read 37,550,278 times
Default The Windtree Apartments get....

....good ratings, see: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...partments.html

Location is on Vickers, know it well. Nice area.

A half mile west is Academy Blvd....aka Hwy 83 and the main north-south commercial route from one end of the town to the other. At Vickers and Academy you get some good food: Chili's and Empire Asian Buffet, plus an Indian Kabob place, a fancier Chinese place, and the usual schlock of Arby's & Taco Bell. Travel 2 miles in either direction on Academy and you get every form of food and shopping imaginable. You're in a good location.

A half mile east is Union Blvd, a north-south route. Big regional library at Union & Vickers. Mostly a residential route.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the information Mike. Sounds like we picked a pretty good place to live ^.^

Old 05-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Another question. Didn't want to make another thread. I live all the way down here in Florida. I'm worried about the altitude. How will that effect me? I heard i'd feel sick and dizzy. How long will it take for me to get used to it?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:00 PM

4,254 posts, read 4,255,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erithiel View Post
Another question. Didn't want to make another thread. I live all the way down here in Florida. I'm worried about the altitude. How will that effect me? I heard i'd feel sick and dizzy. How long will it take for me to get used to it?
Most flat landers do OK with the altitude in the Springs (about 6500 ft) but if you soon travel to the top of Pikes Peak (14K) you could easily get altitude sickness.

It will take your body about a month to generate extra hemoglobin to compensate for the relative lack of oxygen here. After that, you will discover that at sea level, you'll have more endurance. I think that's why olympic atheletes train here.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:18 PM

119 posts, read 627,313 times
Erithiel,

I'm a sea level gal myself. I just moved here from CT in January. It does take about a month/6 weeks to adjust to the altitude. All people react differently to the altitude. For me, I was totally out of breath every time I had to climb a set of stairs.....and even sometimes just having a conversation takes your breath away literally. Even my daughter whose in Kindergarden had to run in gym class within our first few weeks here and she came home saying "mommie, I couldn't breath today." I asked her why and it was because of her running that day. A friend of mine came here with me for the first week and she had headaches and was dizzy. But I assure you that since that first month went by, our family is pretty much conditioned to the altitude and now we go biking on weekends with no shortness of breath whatsoever. I'm a real olympian now! I would only be concerned if you had breathing problems to begin with.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,180 times
Default Windtree Apartments

I lived at Windtree for a year some years back and still use them for short-term interns from my office. They are easy to work with and friendly and have a quality complex. Nice location with well kept-up and efficiently managed apartments. Nice pool-hot tub complex and small fitness center. I think they might even have some sort of reciprocal agreement with Lynmar Health Club across the street.

I think you made a good choice!

As for the altitude - drink lots of water. That really helps with avoiding the headache part of altitude sickness. We encourage out-of-town travelers to start drinking lots of water at least 24 hours before arrival. Good hydration really makes a big difference.

Last edited by diamadi; 04-29-2008 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erithiel View Post
~Welcome to Colo.Spgs!~

Altitude affects people differently. Most common complaint is shortness of breath - climbing stairs, walking any distance, etc. feels like a total workout. Some get headaches or feel sleepy. Yes, a few feel sick/dizzy but that is more typical at higher elevations ~10K+ feet. Symptoms ordinarily pass in a few weeks as your body's blood supply adjusts to the lower oxygen levels here. Then, you'll have super-stamina when you visit sea level!

*One tip is to drink PLENTY of water, before you feel thirsty.* This is an extremely dry climate (which you'll notice immediatlely coming from FL). Dehydration takes hold very easily which tends to worsen altitude symptoms.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:28 PM

227 posts, read 928,955 times
Just wanted to add that your first month or so here try not to drink any alcohol. Even if you can pound the drinks down normally, the altitude will heighten alcohol's effects. Just speaking from personal experience here...

Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 13,392 times
Do you know what part of town Windtree is in? or any major cross-streets? There have been tons of complexes going up all the time.

Also, I have to agree, you alchohol tolerance is gone. You will be a one drink wonder, which is rather nice.

I grew up in Colorado Springs, I travel a lot for business, but like to think i am rather will informed about the place. Also, I might be spacingout, but are you in high school? That would help too, some are quite nice, but there are a few really sketchy ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or