U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2013, 11:33 AM
 
177 posts, read 218,461 times
Reputation: 169

Advertisements

# 1 hands-down is ALWAYS the Chelton/Fountain area. Wear a bullet-proof vest in that area ; )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Colorado
9,734 posts, read 6,273,073 times
Reputation: 17549
If you look up the school districts on Google and check their boundaries, or even some home rental searches will tell you right there what school district you are looking at...avoid anything in District 2 (D2)...there are also some parts of D11 that are not the best, but I'd say anything on the west side of town that is D11 is probably good, and anything north of maybe the Palmer Park Blvd/Constitution Ave area is probably OK too.

Rent first no matter what, that way you can learn the area.

If you look at a map, the area I'd stay out of is bordered thusly:

North: Constitution Ave
East: Powers Blvd
South: Milton Proby Expressway
West: Union

HOWEVER...there will be little pockets of "nice" inside these boundaries, as well as little pockets of "not so nice" outside of them. There are some bits up by Fillmore, over by Nevada, and tucked into Old Colorado City (along Cimmarron and just off of it), that aren't the best. But there is also a misconception that Security-Widefield and Fountain are "bad" however I live down there and I can tell you...it's not. It's working class, and definitely not the trendy part of town--but that doesn't make it "ghetto."

So, in my opinion your best bet is to scope out some rental sites like padmapper.com, rentals.com, etc (careful on Craigslist, it's a haven for scammers) and if you see something you like, do feel free to come back here and say, "Hey I found a house near this one intersection, what do you guys think of the area." There are people here who might even drive by and look for ya, that's how nice they are. Just stay out of the D2/District 2/Harrison school district, I've never heard much good about it.

Best wishes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 07:00 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
Reputation: 5358
Sonic gives good advice. You can put me down for a similar view The security-widefield area isn't bad, and is actually quite a pretty place. It can get a bad rap for being south of the bad area while many people moved north of it. Having a town called fountain and a street called fountain (that is not in the town) is unfortunate. I'd propose changing the street name to convict lane, but I'm sure that idea would not gain enough support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
641 posts, read 1,954,687 times
Reputation: 423
Second Huff's post on Chelton and Fountain area, just behind the Post Office.....rough area....that's where Dog the Bounty Hunter and his crew always end up when nabbing bad guys in Colorado Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Colorado
9,734 posts, read 6,273,073 times
Reputation: 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Sonic gives good advice. You can put me down for a similar view The security-widefield area isn't bad, and is actually quite a pretty place. It can get a bad rap for being south of the bad area while many people moved north of it. Having a town called fountain and a street called fountain (that is not in the town) is unfortunate. I'd propose changing the street name to convict lane, but I'm sure that idea would not gain enough support.
Yeah, it also doesn't help that 85/87 sandwiched between Walmart row and the train tracks is well...ugly. I drove by all that stripmall over there and I was like hm...we've got a tattoo parlor, a liquor store, and a storefront mission church of some kind next door to each other...niiiice... But you get out east of that stuff and it's not bad, and further south along Powers to Mesa Ridge Pkwy where the Safeway is (Fountain), that's downright pretty down there. There's plenty of new neighborhoods with nice big homes popping up all over the place, and even a REALLY expensive fancy private boarding school in our area. But even the people who live in the older and smaller houses, that I know, tell me they are very happy with their neighborhoods and have no complaints about where they live. Those little ranch house neighborhoods are, as I said, very working class. Blue collar. Not ghetto. And my boys have been happy in the schools and made lots of friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Memphis, TN
255 posts, read 542,924 times
Reputation: 175
Sonic, what about the Spring Creek Neighborhood that falls among S. Circle Dr., Monterey Rd., S. Union and 24? I know it's right next door to the shady area you described. It is in D2. Perceptions of this neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
641 posts, read 1,954,687 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah, it also doesn't help that 85/87 sandwiched between Walmart row and the train tracks is well...ugly. I drove by all that stripmall over there and I was like hm...we've got a tattoo parlor, a liquor store, and a storefront mission church of some kind next door to each other...niiiice... But you get out east of that stuff and it's not bad, and further south along Powers to Mesa Ridge Pkwy where the Safeway is (Fountain), that's downright pretty down there. There's plenty of new neighborhoods with nice big homes popping up all over the place, and even a REALLY expensive fancy private boarding school in our area. But even the people who live in the older and smaller houses, that I know, tell me they are very happy with their neighborhoods and have no complaints about where they live. Those little ranch house neighborhoods are, as I said, very working class. Blue collar. Not ghetto. And my boys have been happy in the schools and made lots of friends.
Sonic,

My folks now live in that area as well. You're right on that....the Walmart there is very run down and out of date and the lil' shopping areas are all very old as well. Believe it or not, there use to be a lil' DMV office in that shopping center and it was the best kept secret for getting your registration and license stuff done with absolutely no waiting, but that area has not changed at all in at least 15 yrs. It's in dire need of some up upgrading. I agree the Mesa Ridge Pkwy area is night and day different. Too bad the rest of that part of town hasn't been updated yet.

The neighborhoods are nice and my folks have the nicest neighbors. What I just don't get is why they have hard water in that area. I'm hoping that will change soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Colorado
9,734 posts, read 6,273,073 times
Reputation: 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
Sonic, what about the Spring Creek Neighborhood that falls among S. Circle Dr., Monterey Rd., S. Union and 24? I know it's right next door to the shady area you described. It is in D2. Perceptions of this neighborhood?
Gotta be real honest, I haven't had reason to explore that particular spot. Hopefully someone else will chime in about it. But from the things I've heard, if you have kids you should avoid D2, period, unless you are willing to drive them elsewhere (we do have school choice, but you have to transport.) I hear that the administration has had some significant issues, and I have NOT heard that they've fixed them. If districts like D-20 and D-12 have the BEST reputations in town, D-2 has the WORST.

With that said though, you might find that if the schools aren't an issue for you, you can sometimes find pockets of territory in an area like that which are in fact decent, but the housing prices will be kept lower by the perceptions of people and the nature of the school district. Sometimes bargains can be had in places like that, but you need to find someone who knows it well enough that they're not going on rumor and can tell you how it REALLY is. I don't have that answer....but I bet somebody here does.

I often say that if my house were cut-and-pasted into the north side or the west side, as nice as it is with a hot tub and pool table, 3 car garage and immaculate maintenance, I would have paid at least 100K more for it. So it kinda benefited me that folks think less of Security-Widefield...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Colorado
9,734 posts, read 6,273,073 times
Reputation: 17549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
Sonic,

My folks now live in that area as well. You're right on that....the Walmart there is very run down and out of date and the lil' shopping areas are all very old as well. Believe it or not, there use to be a lil' DMV office in that shopping center and it was the best kept secret for getting your registration and license stuff done with absolutely no waiting, but that area has not changed at all in at least 15 yrs. It's in dire need of some up upgrading. I agree the Mesa Ridge Pkwy area is night and day different. Too bad the rest of that part of town hasn't been updated yet.

The neighborhoods are nice and my folks have the nicest neighbors. What I just don't get is why they have hard water in that area. I'm hoping that will change soon.
As for the hard water, it is nowhere near as bad in Security as it was out in Colorado Centre (the area off of Powers, out that segment of Bradley and past Marksheffel)...they've got their own little water district out there and that water smelled funny and was flat out undrinkable. We used to buy jugs of drinking water when we lived there, which I would also use for coffee and even boiling pasta. I can definitely stand to drink the water in Security's district. Even unfiltered it is tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 PM
 
45 posts, read 131,137 times
Reputation: 119
Colorado Springs as a whole has a fairly low violent crime rate for a city of it's size. However, the worst neighborhoods in the state are in Colorado Springs. The city is nearly 200 square miles and the violent crime is heavily concentrated in certain areas. I would say 80% of Colorado Springs is very peaceful, quiet and safe but 20% of it is in very bad shape.

Colorado Springs has far less in the way of rough areas as opposed to Denver, but the roughest area in the state besides Bessember in Pueblo is South-east Colorado Springs.

With Colorado Springs the further south and east once goes the more likely one will be in close proximity to crime. The further north one goes the less likely.

I would say the roughest areas in Colorado Springs are..

The area called Pikes Peak Park is the worst area in Colorado Springs in my opinion. It's probubly the 2nd roughest area in Colorado. Alot of apartment buildings from the 1960s that rent for rock bottom prices for a reason. It is a very dense neighborhood, but also dense with poverty and violent crime.

Murray Blvd between Airport and Constitution is nearly as bad as Pikes Peak Park. It also has alot of cheap 1960s era apartments.

Knob Hill is also not a good area. The issues with violence aren't as bad but it is very run-down and the area is littered with cheap motels. It has gotten much worse in the last 20 years. Knob Hill is basically the area between Circle and Chelton near Pikes Peak.

Colorado Springs has alot of nice areas. There are affordable apartments and houses in areas that have very little violent crime. In the case of Colorado Springs though it's best to do research into the neighborhood as once again 20% of the city is in very bad shape with very bad crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top