U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,688,060 times

Advertisements

The study that put Pikes Peak Park as one of the worst was on gun violence, but it did not differentiate between suicide and murder. If you take out the suicides, Pikes Peak Park still isn't great, but it does drop down the list considerably. However, you have to consider why so many suicides there? I believe there is a relationship between its proximity to Ft. Carson and soldiers coming back from war damaged and not getting the care they need, along with it being a lower-end area to begin with meaning the soldiers living there are more likely to be away from their families/unsettled than in other areas, perhaps - but I don't know what the data really says.

Yes there are parts of D2 that are quite livable - I used to live by Quail Lake and I loved that area. However, as others have said, I would seriously think twice about putting my kids in school in D2. If kids were not a factor, I would not hesitate to live over by Quail Lake again, as well as a few other areas in D2. I would not want to live near S. Academy, south Circle Drive, Fountain Blvd., Airport Road areas in general.

These days I also would not be too eager to live in the part of D11 that feeds into Mitchell High School, but again there are some quite nice areas within those boundaries. But I would not send my kid to Mitchell High School, nor would I have sent him/her to Wasson before it closed - even though there are some VERY nice older homes in Wasson's old boundaries, imho. Every other school in the city I would not worry about sending my kids to.

I think the newer homes in the Spring Creek neighborhood you mentioned are probably fine, but I would not live there if that meant sending my kids to D2 schools. But let me be fair and say it is entirely possible for kids to get a good education in D2 schools. So if you have to live in a D2 area for awhile, don't think it is the end of the world - just try to choose the best neighborhood you can in there and I'd say probably don't plan on staying there for your kid's entire education. I tutor and I've seen some EXCELLENT programs in D2 in the stuff that kids come to me with. A girl from Panorama Middle School in an accelerated math program has brought some of the best assignments I've ever seen anyone bring. But those kids face a lot more drama - less qualified teachers, higher poverty, mobility and crime rates, high gang participation rates, etc. - so they may have to overcome more to get that good education. I've had honors students from their high schools transfer to my high school in D11 and be blown out of the water by our honors programs - though those who were motivated eventually caught up, it was a big transition for them - they were nearly a year behind. I've known dozens of former teachers from D2 and all left not because of the kids but because of problems with the administration. If one or two did that I might think nothing of it, but when we're talking dozens, there is a real ongoing problem in D2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 AM

255 posts, read 543,217 times
Thank you, Otowi. That was very helpful! Even though we don't have kids, I would want to factor schools into any home purchase for resale purposes. It looks like there has been some improvement in the D2 schools as of late, but the reputation may minimize those improvements.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,916 times
I had a friend who taught in D2, and for years I told her to leave because of the administration, but she stayed only for the kids- she loved the kids there. Finally the only reason she left was because her husband got a job in Denver.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:57 PM

9,768 posts, read 6,282,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
Thank you, Otowi. That was very helpful! Even though we don't have kids, I would want to factor schools into any home purchase for resale purposes. It looks like there has been some improvement in the D2 schools as of late, but the reputation may minimize those improvements.
If you are looking down the road at resale, I would advise you strongly to avoid that area. Just in terms of general geography, it's parked in a region known for containing bad neighborhoods. Many buyers won't look in that area at all. The schools are only part of it.

The owners we bought our home from, in Security-Widefield, had it listed over a year and had to drop the price. While nowhere near as bad as SE Colorado Springs just north a bit from us, Security-Widefield also has that error of perception that clouds the thinking of potential buyers. However, further south in Fountain (which is an entirely different school district, and highly rated in comparison, D8) there are gorgeous brand new houses being built out in the country and people are getting bargains on them and I'm betting they are making fantastic investments. Our friend Mark just built a house wayyy out off of Fountain-Mesa Rd. and it is like a mansion...just gorgeous...and it backs to land that's a protected watershed which can never be developed, so he'll have a view of the nature for all time. He's got a huge open living space, all the best in modern decor (granite, steel, brushed steel fixures, slate tile, etc) a deck, 3 BR up and two down, a fully equipped bar downstairs in the fully finished basement, 3 car garage, very attractive stucco exterior...just the works really. And I THINK it cost him around $300K. Maybe less. The great thing about this area is that it's out in the country a little, so it escapes the "ghetto" perception of SE Springs...it's not even "in town"...and the nearest business districts are all very new and modern and nice. I think that area will appreciate in value a lot over time. More than mine, probably.

But these things also depend a lot on where you might find work...because if he had to work anywhere north of the central part of the city, he'd have a long commute on his hands.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:55 AM

176 posts, read 343,032 times
This thread is very helpful. Thanks to everyone who provided input.

Can I please get opinions on the Village 7 area on the East side, specifically Nonchalant and Seesaw?

I'm considering renting a house there, and I'm concerned because the house is South of Austin Bluffs (some here have said to stay North of Austin Bluffs).

Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,522,302 times
How is the Palmer Park road area?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:34 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,522,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrab View Post
(some here have said to stay North of Austin Bluffs).

Thanks again.
I've been told north of Constitution. I guess opinions vary.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM

9,768 posts, read 6,282,029 times
OK this may sound insane and I want locals to chime in with opinions. But I just had a "Eureka" moment. There's one factor that can give a significant clue about the quality of neighborhoods in this city.

Landscaping.

Nope, I'm not kidding...do a Google streetview if you're from some other place and trying to scope things out. And look at the yards. At least a few blocks' worth. In the area of Nonchalant and Seesaw, those yards look nice. My initial impression is this is a decent neighborhood. Specifically what I'm seeing is extremely neat rock landscaping and extremely well kept lawns. It costs money to keep your yard looking like that, and the sort of "pride of ownership" activity that doesn't always take place in lower class neighborhoods (although of course there are exceptions!) My only personal exposure to this area has been shooting pool at a bar on N. Carefree, CJ's and it is one of the nicest bars we go to in our APA circuit. I would absolutely consider renting a home here.

Of course if kids are a factor, check out the schools.

As for Palmer Park Blvd...well I drive this road daily to get to and from work. It varies A LOT in terms of the quality of housing along it. Much of it is lower-middle class, your very standard smallish ranch homes. Quality of people varies from the older retired to low class families, renters, you name it...it generally is not what I'd call "nice" but also far from what I'd call "ghetto." You can walk along this road and not be shot at or harrassed. I see kids walking to and from school along Palmer Park Blvd during the school season. Personally I put it on par or slightly above the status of the older parts of Security. So it's better than your Academy/Fountain/Chelton/Murray corridors, but not as nice as say...Patty Jewett, ONEN, West Side, parts of North/Northeast, newer parts of Security-Widefield/Fountain, etc. If I found a rental for $1,000 or less in this area and my budget and circumstance meant I couldn't afford more and yet needed a house with a small yard, I'd consider the Palmer Park Blvd area. I do believe you may encounter some nuisance residents, but not much danger. That all applies to MOST of the road as I see it, from Powers to Union. But! There is this one little cul-de-sac sticking off to the north (Kenland Court), and probably other streets off of and nearby, that are crazy nice!! So as with most areas, you need to look with your own eyes to really get a feel. And check out Google and look at the front yards.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM

2,866 posts, read 7,099,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrab View Post
This thread is very helpful. Thanks to everyone who provided input.

Can I please get opinions on the Village 7 area on the East side, specifically Nonchalant and Seesaw?

I'm considering renting a house there, and I'm concerned because the house is South of Austin Bluffs (some here have said to stay North of Austin Bluffs).

Thanks again.
That's far enough east that it wouldn't matter.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:23 PM

176 posts, read 343,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
OK this may sound insane and I want locals to chime in with opinions. But I just had a "Eureka" moment. There's one factor that can give a significant clue about the quality of neighborhoods in this city.

Landscaping.
Totally agree Sonic. About the landscaping barometer. And it's something that can be seen on google, as ou said.

Great input. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs