U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:21 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times

Advertisements

That a decent little area - just put the address into Google Maps and you can look at it in detail. I think it is in the Coronado High School attendance zone just barely - a good school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 05:48 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
That a decent little area - just put the address into Google Maps and you can look at it in detail. I think it is in the Coronado High School attendance zone just barely - a good school.
I did a google drive by and it appears 1203 is one-story 4-plex dwelling. The streets are clean, that's a good sign, and it's close to downtown which IMO is good. The crime report shows only minor stuff in that area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-10-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 11:23 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
I also did a google drive by, and even though I couldn't get house numbers I'd say Mike may be on the right track. Google says the address is approximate which supports the idea that we are trying to find something like a four-plex.

The house is definitely older, maybe 60s era, but the brick front is nice. Looks like the owner may have maintained that. The yards were not well maintained at the time of google visit (2012 summer), but the trees look great. One of the biggest positives in my opinion about the older areas is that they may have excellent trees established.

It's neither a very nice area, nor an area that I would consider unsafe. It appears that there are no garages, so there is a significant risk of severe hail damage to your vehicle.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:16 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,273,073 times
LOL at the hail damage, lurtsman you know what we used to do when we lived in Iowa and had no garage?

If a storm w/hail warning was coming, I'd run out with a handful of broken down cardboard moving boxes I kept around, and quickly use duct tape to fasten them on my windshield and hood and stuff, anything I was afraid of having badly damaged. As ghetto of a solution as that was, it always worked. Handyman's secret weapon...

I echo the opinion of others...this is the kind of place where you can safely rent for a bit while you get your life in order here, and then probably move someplace better once you're established.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 5,588 times
We are moving to Colorado springs from a small town on the east coast . My wife and I have an 8 year old daughter and we are lost when it comes to apartments/house's/mobile homes in that area .

We thought Pueblo at first and started searching . later we figured maybe we should move closer to Colorado springs . Maybe between Colorado springs and Denver .

So , Stay out of the South East corner of Colorado springs ? we have also thought about the canon city/pueblo west area . There are also a few listings for Peyton .

We are looking for basically - 2br/pets OK(small house dog)/ 600-650ish

Last edited by thebeaver50; 01-17-2014 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 05:12 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Sounds like you have a LOT of options. Yes, most would recommend avoiding the southeast corner of the Springs. It is hard to be more specific until you start looking at particular apartment complexes, streets, neighborhoods, schools, etc. Where are your jobs going to be - that should have a lot to do with where you live?

Old 01-17-2014, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Sounds like you have a LOT of options. Yes, most would recommend avoiding the southeast corner of the Springs. It is hard to be more specific until you start looking at particular apartment complexes, streets, neighborhoods, schools, etc. Where are your jobs going to be - that should have a lot to do with where you live?

we are a middle class family - Myself I have an Associate Degree (CIT) that I have recently completed but in this area of the south those degrees do not mean a whole lot . So ive been making money working from home for a while repairing PCs . I would take anything until we get stood up to where I feel comfortable even if it meant working in one of those pot shops(I hear they are popping up everywhere) .

the wifie has been a waitress all of her life and I think she will be looking for something in the restaurant area dayshift because now she works nights and she hates it .

As it is we should have probably enough money to last 3 months or better from the start .We just want to get jobs as fast as possible all the while having a place to live that is safe and clean ya know ?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,273,073 times
I wouldn't pin too much on those pot shops. It can be risky, as they deal in a lot of cash, and a lot of people who are simply passionate about pot have their eyes on working for these places. I don't see them as a big source of jobs when there's enough supply of workers who want them, and then some. I've also heard they don't pay much.

My advice is to stick to "your field" which is computers. I know you're in the mode of "I'll take anything" but that's not very good for career progression in the long run. Even look into Best Buy Geek Squad before you take a random retail job. The research I'd advise you do, is to try and find businesses in the area that have an in-house IT department, look at listings on their specific company websites (not job sites like Monster) and apply directly, then hunt up some contact info for their HR and send out polite, enthusiastic emails. You will have better luck landing a job after you actually live here, but you can do some research now. Polish your resume until it's streamlined, skimmable, and gorgeous. Prepare to sell yourself.

Tricks for determining bad areas to stay out of...first off, school district Harrison D2 is to be avoided. Also parts of D11 that are more southeasterly (the west side of that district is fine, as are some parts north bordering D20.) Look at listings at sites like ppar.com and rentals.com (I used rentals.com and liked it) hotpads.com or padmapper.com. If you see something that looks good, search it on Google and use the streetview function to "walk" the immediate block....one of the better indicators is the shape of the yards. If fences and landscaping are in bad condition, it's probably not the best neighborhood. You might be able to survive there short term, but it won't be clean or quiet and you'll need to be wary and careful and not let your daughter walk anywhere alone (at 8 years old, you might not want her walking anywhere alone anyways. I wouldn't.)

If you have any more specific questions, this is a great place to get answers.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-18-2014, 12:00 PM

55 posts, read 56,896 times
Hows the areas around the airport, like north, west and south?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:30 PM

11 posts, read 17,800 times
Are the Altamira apartments at 2210 Skyview Lane considered to be in an okay area of the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs