U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:59 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times

Advertisements

@Dagumol: The areas across Powers to the west of the airport are in what is often considered to be the worst part of town. To the north there are some decent areas, and to the south as far as Security-Widefield (look for a street called Grinnell, to the south of the airport, things off that street are not bad at all) there are some good areas as well as a few that are more modest but not ghetto...just smaller homes and lower-middle class income levels. Blue collar.

@tmlowe: There are LOTS of reviews of that apartment complex here:

Altamira Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Colorado Springs apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

I'm seeing that they might be halfway-housing mental patients there (???) that the appliances are kind of old and to expect utilities for the property to be allocated to tenants and added to rent, so your rent may be higher than you expect. Also a lot of strong cooking smells, thin walls and noise concerns...these issues are brought up frequently. I don't know that part of town, so I can't really speak to that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 AM

2,819 posts, read 4,233,257 times
I'd probably say around Southeast Colorado Springs, south of Pikes Peak Ave and East of Academy. Chelton and Fountain was also known as a hotbed for crime, but the closing of the club LaJazz A Fair probably helped keep some of the rift raft out. Also, just south of downtown Colorado Springs between Nevada Tejon, and Las Vegas Street have cheap hotels and motels where alot of prostitution takes place. There's even been reports of dead bodies in those motels.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 AM

We recently had a shooting right in the middle of the street right by the Citadel Mall on Galley. I drive home by there on Academy every day and they had the street all blocked off and police tape everywhere. I guess one or two dudes ran up behind a third guy who was crossing the street with two women, and he/they shot the guy, then ran off. The women also ran off. This is what a witness told the media. I don't know if the cops ever caught the shooter(s) or not...

Despite occasional incidents like this, I really still don't feel unsafe in the area. I don't know...random (or not so random) violence seems to happen in every city to some extent. It's not Chicago here. And even the worst neighborhood is nothing compared to some of the bad ones I've seen in DC, or Cincinnati. Statistics aside, I just don't feel tht the Springs compares badly to many places in the US.

And if you were to take the proportion of this city that is "good"...and just how very good it is...I get the feeling that the Springs middle class is relatively prosperous compared to the suburban middle class of many cities I've experienced. I don't know what statistical metric one could use to quantify this. It's just an impression I have.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM

482 posts, read 927,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Also, just south of downtown Colorado Springs between Nevada Tejon, and Las Vegas Street have cheap hotels and motels where alot of prostitution takes place. There's even been reports of dead bodies in those motels.
Since the Cheyenne Motel closed this area has gotten a little better. Still sketchy, but not as bad. Good police presence, now, as well. I lived in that area when I was trying to get my bearings in the Springs. It was an interesting neighborhood. Druggies and prostitutes walking S. Nevada all hours, but I never had problems. I left them alone, they left me alone. It was a cheap neighborhood to start out in. It's amazing what a couple of blocks difference will do, though. Go three blocks west of S. Nevada and Ivywild is a great neighborhood. Two blocks east and Stratton Meadows still isn't a place I'd consider living.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,964 times
I used to live at the Altamira apartments and they had huge mold issues and we lost all of our stuff, they did a lot of shady stuff to us!! I wouldn't suggest living there by any means they took all our stuff!!!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,130,912 times
Speaking of crime and different areas of town; has anyone heard anything about the recent doggie shootings? I've heard that one beautiful shepherd mix died, after being shot at a park in broad daylight, in the southeast part of town; when her mistress was playing ball with the doggie and on their way home.

Then, another dog in the downtown area, (on Shooks run near Pikes Peak and Bijou), that dog is o.k.

I understand there is a reward offered, for the thoughtless person or persons that did this, to these animals.

I hope and pray that this person is caught and thrown in jail. This is a horrible crime. Some people are so gun happy. If a person is afraid of animals, there is pepper spray and other means of protecting yourself. Don't kill a beloved pet.

Last edited by mollygee; 02-01-2015 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: trying to make sense of a senseless crime

Old 02-02-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Speaking of crime and different areas of town; has anyone heard anything about the recent doggie shootings? I've heard that one beautiful shepherd mix died, after being shot at a park in broad daylight, in the southeast part of town; when her mistress was playing ball with the doggie and on their way home.

Then, another dog in the downtown area, (on Shooks run near Pikes Peak and Bijou), that dog is o.k.

I understand there is a reward offered, for the thoughtless person or persons that did this, to these animals.

I hope and pray that this person is caught and thrown in jail. This is a horrible crime. Some people are so gun happy. If a person is afraid of animals, there is pepper spray and other means of protecting yourself. Don't kill a beloved pet.
I agree with the last thing you said.

But I also think that dog guardians should be courteous enough to keep their dogs on leash unless on their property or at a dog park or someplace where it is expected and accepted that dogs will be off leash. In other words, don't assume that random strangers should love your dog running up to them, even if your dog is friendly and "doesn't bite." Some people are afraid of strange dogs. No one is obligated to love your dog, but you and your family.

That said, while some dogs do make me uncomfortable if they just run up to me, I wouldn't shoot one, no. That's going overboard by a long ways. And the police need to be trained how NOT to shoot people's dogs, too. If the meter reader and the postman don't need to shoot people's dogs, then a cop doesn't either. Just my 2 cents...

Old 02-03-2015, 07:45 PM

666 posts, read 987,610 times
There was another dog shot on the West side. This pisses me off to no end.

Enough with the dog shootings, already | City Sage | Colorado Springs Independent

Old 02-05-2015, 03:56 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,079,841 times
I heard there is a $3000 reward now for info about who shot the dogs. I sure hope they find that nutcase.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:13 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,394,807 times
I think pretty much around Ft. Carson excluding the nicer places like Cheyenne Mt. would sum up the less good areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs