U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 07:32 AM

59 posts, read 305,210 times

Advertisements

My husband is from England and has been in Calif for 9 years now and next week we are moving to CSprings. I was wondering if you have many people from England / UK in Colorado Springs? I did find (online) that you have a British grocery store in town?

Thanks,
Cheryl
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 08:01 AM

42 posts, read 185,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
My husband is from England and has been in Calif for 9 years now and next week we are moving to CSprings. I was wondering if you have many people from England / UK in Colorado Springs? I did find (online) that you have a British grocery store in town?

Thanks,
Cheryl
The things we learn on line. I did not realize that the British did not eat what we do????? Prepare different maybe but--- Like what for instance?

But to answer your question. We are a land of immigrants, people from everywhere. Colorado is no different. My family has British background plus more---I'm a mutt. But an American mutt. Or is it Designer American now. ( if some one does not understands my stab at humor, let me know, I'll explain)

Old 05-11-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontiger2 View Post
The things we learn on line. I did not realize that the British did not eat what we do????? Prepare different maybe but--- Like what for instance?
The main thing sold in the British grocerys stores in America is condaments and candy! Their food is a bit different then our food.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 AM

24 posts, read 126,466 times
Default I understand...

Hi there, living in England myself at the moment, but we too are headed to the springs around August. I am Irish and grew up on what I know your husband must be missing. Would it be things like...heinz baked beans, brown sauce, sausages if you can get them, birds custard, bourbon creams, cadbury flakes and crunchies...all that good stuff right !! It takes me a few months but there is usually somewhere hidden someplace that stocks this kind of thing. Once I found just a shelf of items at the back of a Scottish store. Also, I remember finding a few of those things in a Giants supermarket in Maryland once. So if anyone knows of an international type of food store or even a section of anywhere that stocks food from this side of the pond can you put all of us ex-pats out of our misery maybe just a little earlier and let us know.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:17 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,512,833 times
Not living in the Springs, I don't have specifics info for you, but I might suggest you visit one of the "Indian" markets -- one of those stores set up mainly for immigrants from the Indian Subcontinent. While mango pickle and chutneys may not be what you had in mind; I've noticed that such stores often carry some British and European goods that people from India have adopted themselves that might be unheard of here.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 PM

24 posts, read 126,466 times
Thanks tfox, you are right. I will include those kinds of markets when we get there and I get a chance to have a hunt. Great suggestion.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
heinz baked beans
is a product of Pittsburgh! The ketchup people, and Teresa Heinz Kerry.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 PM

636 posts, read 2,052,573 times
Hi all. I know that Wild Oats (a great health food store) will order you dang near anything you want if you have special requests. Hope that helps!

Old 05-17-2007, 06:12 AM

HI Hope

What brings you here to the USA? I have been in CS for three days now and have found a whole British grocery store. I have not gone there but have called them and may visit today. i am just too busy looking for a home to rent.

I also have found that the food is just great here and this is from a girl who lived in London and San Francisco. You can just about get anything here. They have some wonderful special food shops and one is a gourmet shop that has wines and cheese and imported foods from all over the world. Even candy from England and clotted cream. They have meats and fast gourmet meals etc.

The British shop info is below but for the life of me I cant remember the special food store or the street. I am so CONFUSED here but getting better each day. I will ask my husband. Its right near a nice wine shop.

British Home Shoppe

(719) 520-5444

4721 N Academy Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80918

Old 05-17-2007, 07:02 PM

10 posts, read 26,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
is a product of Pittsburgh! The ketchup people, and Teresa Heinz Kerry.
Heinz baked beans in the US and Heinz baked beans in the UK are not the same! We just moved here in February from England (I'm American; my husband is English), and believe me, my husband won't touch American Heinz baked beans! Here they are made in a barbecue type sauce; in England they are in a tomato-y type sauce. I did find English Heinz at World Market, along with some other English products -- Bird's Custard, sweets, etc.

We brought over a good supply of things when we shipped our things over -- HP sauce, Brnaston Pickle, Walker's Crisps, and loads of packet mixes. Too bad we couldn't ship over some Doner Kebabs!!

Anyway, we just have friends or family send things over if we're missing them too much and don't want to pay the high prices for them here since they're imported!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs