U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:34 PM

227 posts, read 932,345 times

Advertisements

I am with ryanek9freak.....my friggin mother-in-law gets the 'luxury' of not driving outside because she doesn't like the way the roads look. NOT FAIR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM

132 posts, read 603,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia rose View Post
Hi. I'm in california and i'm thinking of moving to Colorado Springs. How much does it really snow? Some people say it snows and melts the next day, and others say it snowed so much they were snowed in! So whats the truth ?
The recent snowstorm was a good example of what it's like out here. You MAY get a lot of snow where you live, or you MAY NOT get a lot snow. This is a wild area to guess what will happen next. The forecast might say to expect 1 inch of snow, but depending on where you live, the alignment of the sun and stars, you might get nothing but sunshine, or you may get 2 feet of snow, 50 MPH winds, and cows flying by. I look at the forecasts and laugh because I know they can be 200% wrong.

When I lived in Santa Clara County, my biggest worry was if I had a light jacket in the car in case the weather was so horrible that it might rain or be in the high 40's. Usually I had a week's notice of the "bad" weather.

Out here in Peyton, I have a "Cold Weather Kit" in case the car breaks down in a -20 (F) degree blizzard. You can die out here if you are not prepared.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:34 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,112,496 times
This is pretty much exactly the same as the other active thread right now: 'How do you live with the snow?"

Bottom line + if you're afraid of weather, then CO is not for you. But, then neither is 80% of the rest of the country.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,308 times
Default Snow Tools

Can someone please provide me a list of snow tools/supplies that will get me through the CS winter (Home and Vehicle)? Maybe some stuff I should pick up from Home Depot? I'm originally from SOCAL and only own a garden shovel and flip flops.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:28 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,693,737 times
A cheap snow shovel is rarely needed. Gloves/hat/good shoes. Electric blanket. Emergency kit in your car for getting stranded in a blizzard (very unlikely, but could happen).

Old 10-12-2013, 01:46 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,084,499 times
It kind of depends on where you live. I live up on the Palmer Divide and we get hammered up here with snow and wind a few times a year. I use a cheap plastic snow shovel to remove snow from the porch and deck. I have a pretty heavy duty snow thrower for my driveways (2 driveways at 400 feet each) which often get huge 4+ foot drifts. Often if you have a light snow, you can just clear the driveway or sidewalks with a push broom. In the car, you will need a scraper for the windshield with a brush (be sure to clear both your windshields and your headlights and brake lights so other drivers can see you). Keep your gas tank at least 1/2 full if snow is expected in case you get stuck or have to detour. Also, get the kind of windshield fluid that is for winter and does not freeze.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:49 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,154,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeach View Post
Out here in Peyton, I have a "Cold Weather Kit" in case the car breaks down in a -20 (F) degree blizzard. You can die out here if you are not prepared.
-20!!! I am just about to close on a house in Peyton. How often do you see those temperatures? What heat source do you use? I bet the heating bills are going to be astronomical. Do they plow the roads there?

Old 10-12-2013, 02:13 PM

928 posts, read 1,033,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia rose View Post
Hi. I'm in california and i'm thinking of moving to Colorado Springs. How much does it really snow? Some people say it snows and melts the next day, and others say it snowed so much they were snowed in! So whats the truth ?
Without reading what everyone else has said, in general winters are a piece of cake. We have average sun days of something like 300 days a year (I'll check that out and edit my post). Our weather is one of the reasons people move here and love it so much.

Even on the western slope and higher elevations - the sun comes out and melts a lot of big blizzard snows pretty quickly.

But you never know, right? Your first winter here could be the worst winter on record.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:55 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,925,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
-20!!! I am just about to close on a house in Peyton. How often do you see those temperatures? What heat source do you use? I bet the heating bills are going to be astronomical. Do they plow the roads there?
We'll get a good cold snap in January for about a week where we might see those temps, usually if we have some bad wind. Peyton will have quite a bit wind compared to other areas. Otherwise, if it is about 30 or 40 and the sun is out, it will feel nice outside, like light jacket nice.

We have natural gas for our heating when it is below 40 degrees, electric heat pump when it is above 40. Our heating bills aren't tremendous. Leave drapes open to allow the sun to warm up your home.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:05 PM

409 posts, read 558,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Without reading what everyone else has said, in general winters are a piece of cake. We have average sun days of something like 300 days a year (I'll check that out and edit my post). Our weather is one of the reasons people move here and love it so much.

Even on the western slope and higher elevations - the sun comes out and melts a lot of big blizzard snows pretty quickly.

But you never know, right? Your first winter here could be the worst winter on record.
Move to Colorado springs, they said! It'll be dry, they said! It never rains here, they said!

You won't need a shovel, they said!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or