U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 03:14 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,153,130 times

Advertisements

It snowed in September in Denver back in the '80s and I remember a DJ on the local station say: "I'm going to walk out of this studio, pick up my show shovel and start heading south. When I hear someone ask what that funny looking shovel is for, that's where I'll settle."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,079,841 times
Yeah, if the volume of rain we had is a prediction of the amount of snow to come this winter, watch out!

I have lived here for about 20 years, and it seems like winter is never the same two years in a row. Never know what to expect.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:35 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,189,716 times
As mentioned the Palmer Divide gets it pretty bad, so if you are living in Monument and commuting north several days out of year you are going to have a problem.

The biggest thing with the Springs is the wind so you can having blowing snow and wind at once. We only hit -10, 1-3 days a year in Denver Metro and the Springs, and because it's very dry it feels like +20 F .

Old 10-12-2013, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
A cheap snow shovel is rarely needed. Gloves/hat/good shoes. Electric blanket. Emergency kit in your car for getting stranded in a blizzard (very unlikely, but could happen).
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
It kind of depends on where you live. I live up on the Palmer Divide and we get hammered up here with snow and wind a few times a year. I use a cheap plastic snow shovel to remove snow from the porch and deck. I have a pretty heavy duty snow thrower for my driveways (2 driveways at 400 feet each) which often get huge 4+ foot drifts. Often if you have a light snow, you can just clear the driveway or sidewalks with a push broom. In the car, you will need a scraper for the windshield with a brush (be sure to clear both your windshields and your headlights and brake lights so other drivers can see you). Keep your gas tank at least 1/2 full if snow is expected in case you get stuck or have to detour. Also, get the kind of windshield fluid that is for winter and does not freeze.
Thanks.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-12-2013 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 10-12-2013, 05:50 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,702,479 times
I live a little south of Colorado Springs, some years there's more snow than others, but being born in Ohio
I'd say it's more of a "fluffy" snow than a "wet" snow like I remember as a child in Youngstown. I too came
here from California, San Diego County, and it is a lot colder in the winters, but I do like Colorado.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:51 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,484,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
-20!!! I am just about to close on a house in Peyton. How often do you see those temperatures? What heat source do you use? I bet the heating bills are going to be astronomical. Do they plow the roads there?
I estimate approximently 7-14 days of below zero weather, mostly at night, not necessarily all at once. A run of 5 nights, or 3 nights at a stretch is most common, primarily Jan-Feb, sometimes in Dec.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:09 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
Move to Colorado springs, they said! It'll be dry, they said! It never rains here, they said!

You won't need a shovel, they said!

LOL ... but it was really, really dry for a very long time. Really. It was. And hot, too. Honest.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
It kind of depends on where you live. I live up on the Palmer Divide and we get hammered up here with snow and wind a few times a year. I use a cheap plastic snow shovel to remove snow from the porch and deck. I have a pretty heavy duty snow thrower for my driveways (2 driveways at 400 feet each) which often get huge 4+ foot drifts. Often if you have a light snow, you can just clear the driveway or sidewalks with a push broom. In the car, you will need a scraper for the windshield with a brush (be sure to clear both your windshields and your headlights and brake lights so other drivers can see you). Keep your gas tank at least 1/2 full if snow is expected in case you get stuck or have to detour. Also, get the kind of windshield fluid that is for winter and does not freeze.
Thanks.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 PM

666 posts, read 987,610 times
Just throwing this out there because it's a snow related thread and people have mentioned not really needing a shovel...

I really appreciate the people who shovel their sidewalks!! An inch or so, no biggy. But if its 3"+, get off yer fanny and shovel your walk!

If you live in an area that people don't walk around I can see not doing it. But downtown? Just seems like the proper thing to do, but who am I?

Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,681,120 times
I think legally, you're supposed to clear snow off your sidewalks within 24 hours. A lot of times it is already melted by then or people figure it is so slight that they don't bother. But yes, it is a common courtesy and you should do it in a reasonable time frame given varying conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or