Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:59 PM

5 posts, read 5,397 times

Advertisements

When we moved to Abilene, TX with the Air Force the locals said it's the real world "Friday Night Lights." Technically the movie centers around a football team out of Odessa, TX, but I caught the snapshot meaning. Anyway, just wondering what movie(s) you consider "Colorado Springs?" If a movie represented the area, what would it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
IMO, there is no one movie. Cos has been many different things over its existence, so the proper movie would be dictated by what era you are looking for. Among its past personas; staging point for the gold rush, railroad town, Victorian/Edwardian refinement in the wild west, gold mine milling town, millionaires playground, health resort, coal mining town, air craft manufacturing town, military town, sprawling suburbia, real estate speculation central, technology manufacturing, space defense headquarters, evangelic central, Olympic training city, and now we are pushing for cyber security headquarters of the US as well as rising prominence in retirement desirability.

Here is a quick summation to give you a similar slant on the diverse movies that can cover the area; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colora...opular_culture We also have another list of films made in Colorado that can capture some of what Cos was and is with this list; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...ot_in_Colorado .

Some notable residents that have taken some influence from here to the rest of the world, Lon Chaney (original Phantom of the Opera), Charles Schultz ( Peanuts characters were developed around characters he knew in the Bonforte neighborhood), Cassandra Peterson (Elvira of tv and movie fame) Jerry Martini ( trumpet player and founding member of Sly and the Family Stone band) also Ryan Tedder and Zach Filkins (founders and musicians in One Republic, band).

A dark and bloody part of central/southern CO as well as US labor history that many do not know about is the role of the gold mine and coal mine strikes in Cripple Creek (west of Cos) and Trinidad (far south of Cos)and the subsequent battles between strikers, agitators, owners, and government troops that helped push a number of significant changes to labor law that still exist to this day.

Last edited by TCHP; 03-14-2017 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 09:28 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Blazing Saddles
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:58 PM

19 posts, read 23,409 times
Cast away... (minus the beach) (minus the volleyball)

Old 03-15-2017, 02:32 AM

5 posts, read 5,397 times
Great responses! Definitely a variety of viewpoints. I'll look into the wikis TCHP linked to for more info. It's been a while since I watched either of the movies Cast Away or Blazing Saddles. From what I can remember, they're nothing alike! We're taking a trip out next week. Just trying to frame it in our mind. I haven't been to the town since I was a kid, and don't remember much beyond the mountains. Read a lot of posts, but it's hard to get a feel for a place without spending some time there. Anyway, thanks again!

Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Stargate sg1 the tv show takes place in Colorado Springs and on other planets

Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,784 times
"Cop Car" w/ Kevin Bacon was filmed in Security a couple of years ago....they used a couple of my friends dogs in a few scenes!

Old 03-15-2017, 07:40 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
War Games is supposed to take place here, at least part of it.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:38 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,784 times
Nothing from War Games was ever filmed here, NORAD was just the theme of the movie.

Even the shots of the tunnel entrance etc...were not even close to the real thing.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:48 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
"Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple"

Just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Blazing Saddles
What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is a goin' on here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs