U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 AM

16 posts, read 49,979 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all the wonderful things written about Colorado Springs. I just wish we could make the move right now.
We hope to install a windmill on the property that we purchase. We have solar panels now that we will bring with us also. Does anyone use any of these alternative powers? I would like to know what people think of this kinda thing being in there area. We are looking for an area that will allow alternative power and no more than an hours drive from the airport because that is sorta the doors to my husbands office.
After all that I guess it is a good thing we have a year to look.
Thanks for listening (reckon I mean reading) I hope to post often now that I know we are coming.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 09:28 AM

649 posts, read 2,649,852 times
You know, I am not sure where you can do that. Do you want land? I am guessing you don't want to be in a sub-division. Can you give us more info?
by the way, congrats on your future move!
bashep

Old 05-14-2007, 01:39 PM

Thank you. We are so excited. Yes I think we need at least one acre, accordding to the utility company. We do like mountains so I've heard we need to stay on the west side of Colorado Springs for those. We are coming to look in July.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 AM

We are visiting Colorado Springs this coming Wednesday to look around see what we like and what we can afford. My husband has been many times really likes the area. This is my first time. I am so excited that I have already packed. Hear it is going to rain most of the time we are there. This too makes me excited I don't see much rain here is Southern Arizona. Wish me luck. Maybe I will run into some of you out and about. )

Old 05-25-2007, 08:28 AM

42 posts, read 185,582 times
Solar panels are in use in good number. But the wind will not be the easiest to find where they will be allowed. The old windmill is admired but those ugly airplane propellers don't seem to be welcome. Myself, I would not want one stuck up defacing the beauty of the Colorado Mountain scenery either. But then they are allowing monstrosis houses to be built on skylines that don't try to blend with the surrounding area. It's like they are yelling-"LOOK AT ME!" Such a shame! Case in point. Highway 115 heading North before Fort Carson. You top a hill and see a beautiful scene of red rock and green canyon and mountainside, houses are built there now but most are of the same red of the soil, green or brown shades that blend. Continue on and right in your face on top of the sky line is a huge white monstrosity that destroys the whole beauty of the canyon. If they painted some blending color it would not be so bad. But I just bet it is someone that wants to show off as to the money they are able to spend and want all to see. Those wind machines are invasive too and I do know of several places that people wanted to put them and it was not allowed. I am not against the power they generate. No way. That is a good thing but they must be placed where they get a frequent breeze at least. That means high or in plain sight. Just does not blend well with anything, just a sore thumb.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:23 AM

20,310 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Having been a planner for the Army, I applaud those who plan ahead.

There is an airport here in town, east side along Powers Blvd. The big airport is Denver, with tons more flights.

I live at the north edge of COL SPGS and get to the parking lot at DEN in 60-70 mins, via the 470 toll road ($5.75).

I get cheap flights on SWA, who fly out of DEN (how does $100 r/t to DC, NY, FL sound to you). Have yet to use the local airport here in COL SPGS, some folks swear by it. I'm 30 mins from the COL SPGS airport.

I think what works best for using DEN, with a 1+acre requirement, is the north end of town, from the far north end of Briargate up through Gleneagles, Woodmoor, Monument, Palmer Lake, parts of Black Forest.

The city-owned utility here in town is Colorado Springs Utilities. In Gleneagles we had Mountain View Elec Coop.

Suggest you google on windpower colorado and similar terms to see what's on the web, should be stuff there.

s/Mike

Old 05-26-2007, 06:11 AM

I do understand about the view. It would only happen if everything is right including wildlife. The personal windmils may not be as much of an eyesore as you think. I am not out to deface. I am just trying to replace.

Mike thanks for the info. I have found places in the areas you spoke of, now to chcek them out. The windmill information is good on the net but the utilitie companies want location and all that jazz. When we find the area we like then we can find out more about Colorado regulations. Thanks again.
Everyong have a lovely day!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:15 AM

42 posts, read 185,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglecrazy View Post
I do understand about the view. It would only happen if everything is right including wildlife. The personal windmils may not be as much of an eyesore as you think. I am not out to deface. I am just trying to replace.

Mike thanks for the info. I have found places in the areas you spoke of, now to chcek them out. The windmill information is good on the net but the utilitie companies want location and all that jazz. When we find the area we like then we can find out more about Colorado regulations. Thanks again.
Everyong have a lovely day!
I have seen and been where personal wind has been use. Quit a few in KS. But then where they were, there was nothing much to deface as far as scenery. There are places in Colorado that their ugliness isn't going to hurt the scenery either but please not the mts. They ARE ugly and intrusive.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:11 PM

Thanks so much for the opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs