U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:33 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times

Advertisements

Anybody out there have any historical knowledge on which route a person would have taken from downtown Colorado Springs to central Denver before the I-25 was built? I see Highway 83 through Franktown but it looks like Highway 87 or Highway 85 through Monument would have been more direct? Heading west in Monument on second street there is a north-south road called Beacon Lite Road & "Old Denver Highway". Old Denver highway looks like it dead ends heading south a little south of Baptist Road. Did the COS to DEN route go through Palmer Lake? What was the alignment between COS and Monument? From Palmer Lake north was Spruce Mountain the route? I would have thought there would be one main highway between these two cities but from current maps it is tough to figure out the route.

Also, I met a long time COS resident who told me he used to drive Templeton Gap road from (I guess) near Circle and Union to Black Forest to go hunting. Whatever happened to that route? It almost looks like Templeton Gap became Vollmer northeast of Woodmen and Black Forest roads. Looks like Templeton Gap got segmented at various places as subdivisions went up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 10:54 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Yes, then US Hwy 85 went through Palmer Lake. The old highway (still concrete, though badly cracked) can be driven north from Palmer Lake. I can faintly remember going south on that highway (I remember thinking those concrete joints were kind of neat) through Sedalia, Castle Rock, Larkspur, Palmer Lake, and Monument when I was very small. What I wouldn't give to have that part of Colorado to be like it was then. It was an idyllic beautiful setting. Castle Rock was a neat little town. Colorado Springs was around 100,000, as I recall.

Too bad it all changed . . . little of it for the better, in my opinion. We just seem to have this propensity in this country to take beautiful places and proceed to wreck them. I have to agree from the quotation that I read that said that "the Interstate Highway system made it possible to drive clear across America and see nothing."

Old 05-15-2007, 05:23 PM

396 posts, read 1,284,928 times
It's fun to hear people who've been here a long time talking about parts of town that used to be considered out in the country. One friend of mine, who is around 50, talks about how the area going over to Academy Blvd was fields, and the area around Austin Bluffs was farms WAY out of town.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:29 PM

431 posts, read 2,500,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Yes, then US Hwy 85 went through Palmer Lake. The old highway (still concrete, though badly cracked) can be driven north from Palmer Lake. I can faintly remember going south on that highway (I remember thinking those concrete joints were kind of neat) through Sedalia, Castle Rock, Larkspur, Palmer Lake, and Monument when I was very small. What I wouldn't give to have that part of Colorado to be like it was then. It was an idyllic beautiful setting. Castle Rock was a neat little town. Colorado Springs was around 100,000, as I recall.

Too bad it all changed . . . little of it for the better, in my opinion. We just seem to have this propensity in this country to take beautiful places and proceed to wreck them. I have to agree from the quotation that I read that said that "the Interstate Highway system made it possible to drive clear across America and see nothing."
I feel the same we still use 85 from Castle Rock thro Sedalia into Littonton to catch the light rail into Pepsi Center, Mile High (whoops, always be Mile High to me) Coors Field. I don't shop Denver just to those places other than that, I try to avoid Denver. But we used to come to Denver from Leadville over Loveland Pass. No tunnel then.

Last edited by Nadine; 05-15-2007 at 06:37 PM..

Old 05-15-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
It's fun to hear people who've been here a long time talking about parts of town that used to be considered out in the country. One friend of mine, who is around 50, talks about how the area going over to Academy Blvd was fields, and the area around Austin Bluffs was farms WAY out of town.
Heck I remember when there was no Air Force Academy! In fact I remember when it was Army Air Force. Want to guess my age? Careful now!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 PM

Default COS to DEN 1950s???

Thank you for the responses.

I would like more detail.

jazzlover and 3johnsons (if necessary, ask your friend): Sounds like you can help me out. How would someone have driven from the Springs to Denver?

Specifically,
Jazzlover: From your post, is the concrete route you are referring to Spruce Mountain or Perry Park (now Highway 105)?

What was THE route from the Springs to Monument? Did the I-25 or AFA bury it?

Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM

396 posts, read 1,284,928 times
I'm no longer living in the Springs, so I wouldn't be able to give you firsthand knowledge of what routes folks traveled pre-I25. BTW, I miss Colorado Springs, but I don't miss the snow/ice. I'm interested to see the responses to your questions, as well.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 PM

I would imagine there was ONE specific route, like a two lane highway, between these two cities. That is the route I am interested in.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:54 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
North of Palmer Lake, US 85 is now Spruce Mountain Road up to Larkspur. I think, though I can't recall for sure, that I-25 expansions may have obliterated the old highway from near Larkspur to Castle Rock. Perry Park Road was a gravel county road. Old highway 85 is now the "backroad" between Castle Rock and Littleton (through Sedalia). Some of that got "re-arranged" by the flood of 1965 that turned Plum Creek into a raging torrent. The South Platte went crazy, too, flooding all the way from Littleton to Brush. (Chatfield was built to prevent a second occurence.) The '65 flood took out just about every bridge over the Platte through Denver, except the viaducts. You can still see the high water mark (if you know where to look) 12 feet up the side of the Gate Rubber factory buildings. I saw the aftermath of the '65 flood (the next day) as a little kid, but I will never forget it. As I recall, traffic on Hampden Ave. (US 285) had to use an Army pontoon bridge over the South Platte for about a year until a new bridge could be built.

Want to know how things have changed? My parents told me that Colorado Blvd. in Denver was a gravel road in the country south of Alameda Ave. in 1945!

Old 05-20-2007, 02:28 PM

I think you will find the answer to your question on this website and these historical maps http://www.broermapsonline.org/membe...kies/Colorado/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs