U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,560,599 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move to the area and have a few questions about housing. Can we find a small one bedroom condo in a good area with covered parking for 125k? I have looked at housing online and I know what's available as far as sq footage goes but I really don't have any clue about the areas. We prefer to buy other than rent, although we may rent to begin with. We don't mind a small space since it's just the two of us and we want to keep things simple. I'd like to not have my car burried in snow and safety is a big issue. I don't mind something that may need a little work because if it's small it won't take too much to fix up. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 07:18 PM

20,838 posts, read 39,052,603 times
It can be done. Try this link (http://tinyurl.com/yf6n27m - broken link) to see one. This link won't work after this home is sold and listing is off the market.

Usually, the folks on this board recommend that people rent here for a year before picking a place to buy; gives you a chance to learn the area and know for sure what you want.

Best of luck to you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It can be done. Try this link (http://tinyurl.com/yf6n27m - broken link) to see one. This link won't work after this home is sold and listing is off the market.

Usually, the folks on this board recommend that people rent here for a year before picking a place to buy; gives you a chance to learn the area and know for sure what you want.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks so much for the reply. Is the area near the airport a safe location? It would be ideal because my job will be near the airport for Fedex so a long commute wouldn't be my first preference. But as I said, a safe area is without a doubt my number one priority.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:39 PM

20,838 posts, read 39,052,603 times
That's a decent area of town, but a mile west of there it can be a bit shaky along S. Academy, S. Chelton, S. Murray, etc.

Here's the crime map page, pick a week, look at the activity. Not much activity along Powers near the Airport, but that's a busy road and may be noisy if you live too close to it.

Use realtor.com to search on zip codes and use the advanced search feature to discriminate by type of housing desired, etc. The local PPAR website, has a really neat feature where you can draw a search box on the map then search within that area.

Zip code maps are here.

A very good place to live on the south end of town near the airport is Fountain, zip 80817
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:41 PM

649 posts, read 2,691,443 times
One thing you need to consider if you choose to go the buy route is that mortgage companies here do not like to finance condos that are considered to have more than 50% rental occupany. SO I would encourage you to look at buying a townhome. Yes there are townhomes that are available down in that area that are for sale.

It is a hard call, everybody feels differently about buying vs renting. Just gotta way out the pro's and con's. Then go from there. I would encourage you to listen to everybody on here. They are good about giving advice.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashep View Post
One thing you need to consider if you choose to go the buy route is that mortgage companies here do not like to finance condos that are considered to have more than 50% rental occupany. SO I would encourage you to look at buying a townhome. Yes there are townhomes that are available down in that area that are for sale.

It is a hard call, everybody feels differently about buying vs renting. Just gotta way out the pro's and con's. Then go from there. I would encourage you to listen to everybody on here. They are good about giving advice.
Ok thanks for the input. Just curious, what's the difference between a condo and townhome? I hate to sound dumb but I've always purchased single family homes, so I just assumed the two were interchangable names for the same things.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:00 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,169,198 times
I believe a townhome is a multi-level attached housing unit, while a condo is essentially a single-level apartment available for sale instead of rent?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 PM

54 posts, read 124,924 times
What's the difference between a townhouse and condo? This is a very common question and there is a simple answer to it but there is a twist to it.

In a townhouse, you may share one or more sidewalls; but you will own between your two sidewalls everything from the sky above to the ground below.

In a condo, you may own everything in the perimeter of the home but you may share two sidewalls a ceiling and/or floor. (Common to think more like apartments.)

Sometimes.. homes that were built in the 70'ies were sometimes county recorded as a condominium but the homes breathe much like a townhouse.

I recently sold a condo that has a two car garage, two story with a basement, 1800 sq. ft, for under $120 that was classified as a condo, but if built today would be considered a townhouse.

Good luck in your home search!

Last edited by PamelaOrr; 11-24-2009 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the answer. The clears it up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or