U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2009, 07:54 AM

43 posts, read 79,692 times
Default USAF Academy

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone here has experiance with the academy?
I have a ds that has shown some interest. I understand they have a prep school as well. we currently live in W.MA however we are CA original's.

Another thing, I have seen the word "conservative" used when referring to CO, as in political ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:49 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,812,673 times
Best person to ask is an Academy grad or an Air Force recruiter. Not sure if there any on here.
Here's an abbreviated story> My nephew took a tour last summer and completed a 'day with a cadet' to see if it was something he could live with. He talked with counsellors and cadets. The Air Force flew him back in Oct and he received his Letter of Acceptance last month. I was told that 13,000 apply every year and about 1400 get accepted. Only 150 get early LOA's that my nephew got. As we live next to the Academy and I work there most of the time, this is great news and we are going to be his sponsor. The amazing part is he had no interest in the Air Force till half-way through his junior year.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:15 AM

498 posts, read 904,488 times
I'm an Academy Grad. Let me give you the Reader's Digest Condensed Version.......

First and foremost, the quality of the education can't be beat. The Academy is comparable to the Ivy League schools.

Second, it's not for everyone. The discipline is demanding and generally harsh. Personally, I probably needed that discipline as a 17-year old. Time constraints are brutal. While my Hih School friends were partying and drinking beer, I was shining shoes, learning rifle drill, and studying Differential Equations. I'm a better man for all that today, but it really sucked when I was a teenager.

Third, it's not just a 4-year college. An Academy degree includes a commission as a Second Lieutenant, and a five-year commitment in the Air Force. It's by no means a "free" education. You're not committing to 4 years, you're committing to at least 9. However, I found the Air Force to be a terrific employer, and very willingly stayed in uniform for almost 21 years after graduation. It's been over ten years since I hung up my flight suit. I still miss it.

Do I recommend it? Absolutely, but only for young men and women who truly want to attend. If someone is on the fence about it, they're not likely to stay through graduation. If they're attending because it's "free," they won't make it through their first year.

As for the Prep School, it's generally offered to people who don't quite meet the academic entrance requirements. They'll do an intense year of (generally) math and science, to make the Cadet Candidates better qualified the following year. A Prep School appointment is by no means automatic for someone who doesn't get an appointment to the Academy itself. Another option is a year at State U. While the Academy won't give credit for the year, they WILL give credit for courses taken. This can serve to make the candidate better qualified a year later, and also lighten the academic load just a bit while at the Academy.

Please feel free to PM me if you've got specific questions.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 AM

17,190 posts, read 23,775,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parakeets View Post
Hello, ... Another thing, I have seen the word "conservative" used when referring to CO, as in political ?
The COLO SPGS is Congressional District 5, current Rep in DC is Doug Lamborn (R). The area tends to be politically conservative, voting GOP in most matters. Some people describe the state as purple; generally middle of the road, could go either way at election time. Currently COLO has two DEM Senators, a DEM Governor, several DEMs in Congress and went into the Obama column last year. Next time around is anyone's guess.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 AM

540 posts, read 813,035 times
Here's a great website to look over: Air Force Academy

Old 12-02-2009, 11:35 AM

43 posts, read 79,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
I'm an Academy Grad. Let me give you the Reader's Digest Condensed Version.......

As for the Prep School, it's generally offered to people who don't quite meet the academic entrance requirements. They'll do an intense year of (generally) math and science, to make the Cadet Candidates better qualified the following year. A Prep School appointment is by no means automatic for someone who doesn't get an appointment to the Academy itself. Another option is a year at State U. While the Academy won't give credit for the year, they WILL give credit for courses taken. This can serve to make the candidate better qualified a year later, and also lighten the academic load just a bit while at the Academy.

Please feel free to PM me if you've got specific questions.
I looked at the Academy website and can't seem to find the answer to the question; what are the age requirements (minimum) that a teen can be accepted for say, Prep School ? also, is prep school the same as High School. My son is currently a sophmore and of high morals (public HS's are not the greatest)

Old 12-02-2009, 02:28 PM

1,931 posts, read 4,340,617 times
And, you must join one collegiate and academic sport while attending.
DH was a fire fighter until August there and with that being said- the cadet's stupid stuff isn't even close to the stupid stuff that goes on at a regular dormatory. Congrats to your son for being one of the elite.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM

17,190 posts, read 23,775,334 times
I like the Academy for the affordable and available tickets to college sports. Here's a shot from the 2009 Army vs USAF game.

USAF Academy-dscn7277.jpg USAF Academy-dscn7240.jpg
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM

498 posts, read 904,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parakeets View Post
I looked at the Academy website and can't seem to find the answer to the question; what are the age requirements (minimum) that a teen can be accepted for say, Prep School ? also, is prep school the same as High School. My son is currently a sophmore and of high morals (public HS's are not the greatest)
The Prep School is a post-HS environment. It's not for High School students to get ahead; it's for HS graduates who didn't quite make the mark.

There are Prep Schools unrelated to the Academy with a strong track record of preparing HS students for the Military Academies.....New Mexico Military Institute is one. You might want to contact the Academy Liaison Officer where you live. He might be able to steer you to other options that might improve his chances.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:12 PM

13,107 posts, read 11,926,945 times
Good points by Maynerd here. The NMMI down in Roswell is one fine facility.

My nephew came real close to going. He had the grades, definitely the athletic ability (he was an all state 4-A offensive lineman for DCHS in Castle Rock.) He was very impressed when AFA head football coach Fisher DeBerry came out to visit him and my sister and bro-in-law. And the ONLY reason he didn't go was the regimen issue, and is kicking himself to this day for not going. Three of his high school buddies did enlist, and have gotten quality educations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs