U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:41 PM

59 posts, read 305,234 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any good info on moving trucks to rent or moving companies. From calif to CS

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 03:45 PM

157 posts, read 751,327 times
We are using U-Pak. They are only about half the price (for us) of a regular moving company, plus you get a few days to load and unload the things. Good luck with your move!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:51 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,849 times
We used U-Haul. The transmission started acting up after 150 miles. They sent a guy out to check it. Gave it the OK. Made it from Barstow to Needles. Had to spend 2 nights there. Guy comes out and says to keep it third gear to Flagstaff where we could get another truck. Trans gave up on the hill into Williams. Had to wait on the highway for 3 hours for tow truck. In Flagstaff my son and I, along with a couple of guys from the homeless shelter, had to transfer the load to another truck. Like anything you unload, it would not all fit in another truck. They had to give us a little trailer. It was a terrible experience. The tow driver said ours was the 4th U-Haul that day!
After many phone calls, U-Haul paid for hotels and refunded 20% of the rental.
If you do it yourself, use Penske. Also if you're moving from SoCal use I-40 to I-25. I've heard horror stories about rental trucks and I-70.
The U-Haul guy in Flagstaff was amazed by the rental fee we had to pay from San Marcos to Colorado Springs. Much cheaper to go the other way.
Good Luck

Old 05-20-2007, 05:21 PM

32 posts, read 193,534 times
Default Moving companies

I know it is quite an expense - but we used North American. I had a great experience - we packed as much as we could and had packers do the rest. We probably had about 15% of it left for them to do and it was the hard stuff.

I did not have to move one thing. I got to pick what day I wanted my stuff at my new house. Yes, this was very expensive but well worth it. We paid about $8500. This was from CA to CO.

We looked into cheaper alternatives but could not justify how we would move the stuff up and down the stairs in our new home. Especially with three small kids in tow! Sure we would have friends help us in CA but we knew no one in CO.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:55 PM

63 posts, read 289,551 times
I have used ABF/upack.com twice and had no problems with them at all. This was with a move from PHX to Chattanooga, TN then about 2yrs later back to Prescott AZ. If I move out of state again, I will use them.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:37 PM

655 posts, read 1,684,006 times
If you decide to move it yourself, we also recommend Penske. We moved from Oklahoma City to Silverdale, Wa., and had no problems whatsoever with the truck. Got a lot of good info on their website and from talking to them. Easy to rent and return.

Next time, however, we'll probably hire the move. Even if we drove ourselves, we'd have to hire help with the loading and unloading. Besides, my husband doesn't relish the idea of herding that "big yellow pachyderm" down the highway again.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
You could try "A Nice Jewish Boy Moving & Storage Incorporated"

http://www.anicejewishboymoving.net/

or "Starving Students"

www.ssmovers.com/

Is it me or do the guys moving and driving these trucks look more like Hell's Angels than pre-med students???

Aa-ah, Ma'am. Ah, where do you want us to put your wine rack?

Moving Trucks-angels.jpg

Old 05-22-2007, 12:39 PM

117 posts, read 569,620 times
We got a quote for about $20,000 from CA to CO. Can't remember the name of the company. After hearing $20,000 all else went blank.

That price also included boxes, shipping material, packers and moving several vehicles. But still...$20,000! We are still looking.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:38 PM

3,581 posts, read 9,003,983 times
I used PODS Inc and was very happy. I chose to pack myself, but there was a couple of local companies that would hire out as packers and loaders for $300 per day (3 men@8hours=1day) Since I was still 40% boxed from a prior relocation from a larger house I felt I did not need the boxers and PODS gave me plenty of time to load things at my own pace.

Total price for 3 POD containers and transporting them from Alabama to Texas was ~4.7K.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:48 PM

11 posts, read 78,542 times
Moving - listen up! Buy yourself a STICK SHIFT used 24' UHaul (I did and it runs GREAT) . . . make your move then sell the thing. The cost of your move would be the gas & food & motel bill if it's a long move. I'm not quite so smart, as I kept my truck and now use it as storage - there's hardly anything in it at the moment but I only pay $25 a month to park the truck and a smaller storage unit would cost me $100 a month... and if I EVER need to move a lot of stuff or something BIG... well, there she sits, ready and willing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs