Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM

278 posts, read 445,962 times

Advertisements

A late model white Dodge pickup truck, with a broken rear axle has been parked in front of my Briargate home for the past two weeks.

- The neighbors don't know who it belongs to
- The police say it's not stolen
- The police say they cannot tell me who owns the vehicle
- The police say that due to budget cuts, they no longer respond to abandoned vehicle complaints
- The police say that tow-companies are not allowed to remove abandoned vehicles unless they are on private property, which this truck is not.

So literally, any abandoned vehicle in the city of Colorado Springs can and will remain where ever it's left FOREVER.

This is a pretty outrageous situation. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,103,529 times
Maybe if you light it on fire there will be a timely response from the city. RP

Old 12-29-2009, 01:31 PM

25 posts, read 84,004 times
From what I understand. You can't report an abandoned vehicle, but they are still towing abandoned vehicles. The problem is how do the police know it has been abandoned?

I suppose someone in this situation could take the plates off the vehicle and a passing patrol car would have no choice but to ticket and tow.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:41 PM

445 posts, read 1,599,692 times
You forgot to put in a smiley face - to indicate that you know this is a really stupid idea. You know it is, but the THOUGHT of doing that feels good.
OP --> Since the police and all government agencies are scared sh.tle.. of being sued for giving out info about someone they just say they can't. My take is that they are not allowed verses don't know who owns it. Try sending a registered letter to the chief of police citing the FOIA, and briefly explain why you want the info. You may be surprised what info you can get that way. I know that you just want to call the guy and see that he is ok. He will tell you he is short of funds and he will be there soon to move it.

The next step would be to put the description on Craig's List and see how long it takes for it to disappear.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:46 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,570,446 times
I suggest going on-line to the Colorado Springs Police Department. They have an on-line complaint form you can fill out and request a response. If they don't respond in a reasonable period of time, you could then call/email your city councilperson and explain the situation to them. I bet that will get a response!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 PM

641 posts, read 2,267,106 times
That is weird....it's amazing how the laws can be enforced or not enforced in some cases. I know I wouldn't want an abandoned vehicle in front of my house for weeks either.

In this case, I believe the street is considered public property. It's still a real nuisance. You would think they would be able to tow the vehicle or at least look up the VIN and contact the registered owner.

Does your neighborhood not have a homeowner's association that can have the vehicle removed?

Oddly enough, I got a parking ticket just this past summer for parking a good friends truck in front of my house, (in the street), when he was on vacation.

I didn't understand why the truck parked in front of my house was a problem when there are cars parked up and down the street.....in some cases.....in front of stop signs!!

I called the PD an inquired as to why it was ticketed and the officer I spoke to said it may have been too far out from the curb. I told him it was approximately 6-8 inches off the curb. He said it was basically a judgement call by the ticketing officer. Geez.

So a dozen other cars on the street were fine, but the one in front of my house cost me $150! If the officer had left a warning or notice, I would've moved it happily.

I have seen abandoned vehicles off Powers that don't seem to remain there very long. I imagine they are towed away. I wonder what the difference is.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM

445 posts, read 1,599,692 times
With the budget cuts - it is unlikely that there will be many warning tickets issued. Wait for the date on the ticket to go and pay, if the citing officer does not show you can request a dismissal

Old 12-29-2009, 06:45 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,754,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
This is a pretty outrageous situation. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Put an empty fertilizer bag and a jug of diesel in the back, and then call it in to the FBI as a suspicious vehicle. They'll have it out of there in no time at all.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:01 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
Sounds like they really have budget issues or just trying to be back at the citizens for not passing the tax increase.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 PM

631 posts, read 1,569,463 times
I lol'd at some of the ideas tossed about here.

If you can tow it yourself, or have a friend do it, and then complain. Or just break a headlamp or two/remove the plates so an officer will investigate it further
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs