Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 AM

59 posts, read 328,788 times

Advertisements

We are going to buy a new car / truck before winter sets in. What kind of car / truck is good for the springs area? For the snow and the hills and all. Is there a SUV that is ok on gas? or do they all guzzle gas??

What would you buy if you could buy any car you want? Well in reason. I can't afford the BMW SUV.

I also worry about the hills in some of the neighborhoods and snow. I have never lived in snow before.

CaliCheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 12:01 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,726,501 times
Default We've been down this road before....(is that a pun?)

Consensus of posters, from having addressed this issue before, is that:
- you do NOT need 4wd unless you are off-roaders.
- if you tow something (Camper, Boat, Horse Trailer) what works there also works here.
- best car for driving around town is simply a front wheel drive car.

By observation, having lived here two years:
- wide variety of just about everything on wheels
- most anything will do in the way of a car

My suggestion:
- you'll be here in a day or two, you have months to see what people drive, talk to your neighbors, shop prices, etc.
- relax, this is not that hard of an issue to solve.
- new or used, see Consumer Reports and especially "The Car Book" published by the Center for Auto Safety.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:21 PM

42 posts, read 200,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifDreaming View Post
We are going to buy a new car / truck before winter sets in. What kind of car / truck is good for the springs area? For the snow and the hills and all. Is there a SUV that is ok on gas? or do they all guzzle gas??

What would you buy if you could buy any car you want? Well in reason. I can't afford the BMW SUV.

I also worry about the hills in some of the neighborhoods and snow. I have never lived in snow before.

CaliCheryl
I want an Honda Element. 4 wheel. Why? because it will do what I want to do. Easy to keep clean with kids and dogs. Go to the mts. or in town. Small motor, good gas mileage. Not going to win a beauty contest but thats not what I have a run-around for. I have a small Jeep now. OK but will be needing to replace soon. Know several who have Elements. Have not had any maintenance problems and does great on ice and snow. Only a 4 cylinder but goes down the road and up the passes just fine. If I was a city person then I would get an automatic but I'm not so I prefer a manual. Less to go wrong and better on gas. 2 wheel would do even better on gas. I have not looked into 2 wheel but I believe it is a front drive. Not sure about that.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:27 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,902,418 times
Subaru Seems like Subarus are everywhere. They are great in snow and get decent mileage. The dealer in CO Springs is #1 volume dealer in the U.S.. When you are at a red light look around. If you are getting a car anyway, you should look at 'em.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:35 PM

48 posts, read 312,561 times
I got a 2005 Subaru Outback Impreza recently because I plan to move there. I love it Plus it will only appreciate in value with the move cuz they cost less to buy here in TX.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,345,021 times
I agree, either a Subaru, or some sort of lifted Jeep. If you aint got one or the other, you ain't got nothin. lol.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:22 PM

964 posts, read 2,640,704 times
Quote:

CaliCheryl
I would definitely go for a 4WD or an AWD vehicle without a doubt!!! We live in Monument were I personally think 4WD is a lifesaver! I have witnessed cars such as the Honda Odyssey get stuck in the smallest drifts due to it only being a front wheel drive. We just ordered a new 4WD Toyota Sequoia and I can't wait. I needed something big since we are a famiy of six. I have also heard great things about the Subarus and the Toyota Sienna. Acura also makes an AWD SUV but it might be a little pricey. For the money the Nissan Armada is also a nice choice but has a poor repair record. You won't regret it and it will help maintain the resale value of car. Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM

7,123 posts, read 9,195,537 times
Quote:

CaliCheryl
I've lived in Colorado Springs since 1977. Although I've owned 2, 4WD trucks, I've discovered that a fwd car with Winter tires is really all you need. Buy a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin Ice tires.

Mine are mounted on a set of steel wheels and when it starts to snow, I just do the swap which takes me about 1 hour.

The key attribute needed is the ability to stop on ice. A 4x4 does not help you to stop. In fact, most are so heavy that they slide around or easily roll over.

Remember, the brakes stop the wheel, but the tires stop the car.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,345,021 times
whatever dude. I'll take my Jeep over anything. You'd be wishing for a CJ if you were stranded on a mountain pass. I guess if you never go to the mountains, then yes, a FWD car will do.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,435,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Buy a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin Ice tires.

The key attribute needed is the ability to stop on ice.
How do the Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin Ice tires compare to Winterforce tires, anyone know?

Do studded tires make that much difference in ice fog or frozen rain, that is, when the ice is really thin like a glaze? I experienced this a couple of times. It seems like there would be nothing to "dig" into using studs. It seems studs would only work if the snow or ice was at least a quarter inch thick but I don't know, I have never driven with studded tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs